• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official iGent Handbook

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like where this thread is going. I'm learning a lot toward my goal of being admired by people on the internetz that I've never met.

Doc4

Reaction score
WTF is an "iGent" anyhow?

Okay, I get that you are trying to pin down his characteristics, but I've managed to miss this term so far, so I don't really get what you are aiming at. Is he "sartorial splendour to be striven for but never achieved"? "the idiot who lets The Men's Warehouse dress him"? or something in betweeen?

I get a general sense of "we're making fun of this dude", but can someone point out which dude in the line-up you are making fun of?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4
WTF is an "iGent" anyhow?

Okay, I get that you are trying to pin down his characteristics, but I've managed to miss this term so far, so I don't really get what you are aiming at. Is he "sartorial splendour to be striven for but never achieved"? "the idiot who lets The Men's Warehouse dress him"? or something in betweeen?

I get a general sense of "we're making fun of this dude", but can someone point out which dude in the line-up you are making fun of?

The dude we are making fun of is me.

That cleared up, have at it!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Is this thread too big to fail?

I will take my $25 B in a combination of stacks of hundreds and bearer bonds, thank you.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Minus four iGent points for an appalling lack of sprezzatura.

Also minus two for not having your tailor correct your drooping right shoulder, resulting in less cuff showing on your right hand.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Minus four iGent points for an appalling lack of sprezzatura.

Also minus two for not having your tailor correct your drooping right shoulder, resulting in less cuff showing on your right hand.

It is correct. The sleeve is just too long. If the shoulder were not properly sloped, you would see other problems. Shoulder slope and sleeve length are two different things.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Fair enough re: the SC. But we all know I have some, so the deduction maybe should be lower.

Okay, you can have a quarter-point back. The iGent's credentials are as much about inventory (whether real or imaginary) as they are about what he's wearing.

The socks are not gray.

Yes, but they are grey on my screen. The iGent exists only on and through the internet. As far as I'm concerned, you fizzle away as soon as I close my web browser. Hence, your socks are grey, and the deduction holds.

Still, you get a half-point for spelling 'grey' the English way.

Yes, the pants must have slipped a bit. They are cut to have no break.

Plus one for making excuses.

I disagree about the PS. The iGent is ecumenical about the PS. The iconic iGent sqaures are: white line, TV fold; S&G showing a little border and maybe one point; printed silk or wool classic pattern, puffed.

These sound awfully like the squares that you like to wear. Plus five for being an egomaniac.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It is correct. The sleeve is just too long. If the shoulder were not properly sloped, you would see other problems. Shoulder slope and sleeve length are two different things.

You silly fool. I was just garnering iGent points of my own for critiquing your sleeve length and bringing a drooping shoulder into the discussion.

Plus 10 for me, and minus 10 for you for failing to realize the iGenius of my post.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To complete this project, there will at some point (perhaps in another thread) have to be an iGent Hall of Fame established in order to set out the iSartorial pantheon. I suspect it will need to include not only established iGents, but also Honorary iGents from the Golden Era (say 1930-1959...dates somewhat negotiable).

emptym

Reaction score
Minus four iGent points for an appalling lack of sprezzatura...
Did you miss the untied shoelace? If so, that's ok. The others thought it was just carelessness. My guess is that it was a test.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You silly fool. I was just garnering iGent points of my own for critiquing your sleeve length and bringing a drooping shoulder into the discussion.

Plus 10 for me, and minus 10 for you for failing to realize the iGenius of my post.

I already admitted my drooping shoulder, but I realize that was in another thread.

I should point out, to be clear: it is iGent not to mask your flaws with padding. No evening out shoulders, etc. There are literary precedents. "Padded" is an all purpose insult in Trollope novels, for instance.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
Did you miss the untied shoelace? If so, that's ok. The others thought it was just carelessness. My guess is that it was a test.

touche

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton, I don't think, for all your sartorial expertise, you really cut it as a full-fledged, true-blue iGent. Although the iGent is not the same as the dreaded ITG, he has many of the same characteristics: He is a man of immense physical power. He is a master of at least two arcane martial arts. He possesses an arsenal of modern small arms and is highly skilled in their use.

He holds most women that the world judges as being at the pinnacle of glamour, beauty and sexiness as being at best mediocre and unworthy of him.

He will shave with nothing except a straight razor or DE.

And these are but a few characteristics of the iGentry.

AFAIK, the term had its origin in the Advanced Forum.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Oh, and how could I have forgotten. BROWN ODD JACKET!!!!! Ultra-iGent! Sophisticated dressers in the real world never wear brown odd jackets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads