• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Hair Thread

gdb619

Reaction score
OK no need to be a wise ass I'm sorry I'm not familiar with hair products and didn't know if there was something out there like that is there anything that would hold my hair in place without me having to restyle it

gdb619

Reaction score
OK can u please help me out what about pomades is that strong like I said I tried groom&clean that's not strong enough I'm just trying to find a really strong product

elduderino

Reaction score
I'd go with a heavy pomade. Oil-based pomades don't harden up - which is good because you still won't get out of recombing your hair after removing your helmet. There's no product that can just ignore the pressure a good helmet puts on your hair. The key is to chose a product that easily lets you recomb your hair and to have that comb in your pocket whenever you feel you'll need it.
I'd suggest the Uppercut Deluxe Monster Hold. The hold is very good and it's not very greasy. My second suggestion would be Dax Wave & Groom. It's cheap, holds like hell, but is also greasier than the Uppercut Deluxe.
Water-based pomades will wash out easier, but they'll also harden up and make recombing your hair more difficult.

The key to finding a good product is trying them on your hair, after doing your "thing" (washing, blowdrying etc). Reviews can be a good guideline, but will never get you out of experiencing the stuff stuff does to your hair yourself.

gdb619

Reaction score
Thanks I got some royal crown hair dressing I'll try that until I can get one of the ones u suggested

rms340

Reaction score
@patrickBOOTH do you use any conditioner? And which Dr Bonners do you use? Sorry if this question was asked before.

I have pretty thick hair and have been shampooing with some regular stuff they sell at most stores. When I shampoo my hair always ends up being extremely frizzy and poofy. I use B&B Sumotech and it gives me a hold with a little bit of sheen, but I usually put my hands through my hair an hour or so after I apply it so it looks more natural. I have a habit of shampooing everyday because I feel like the product is still in my hair even after I shampoo.

elduderino

Reaction score
That's a light hold, but let us know how it turned out. Maybe you'll like it anyways.
And please, punctuation saves lifes. Use it.

elduderino

Reaction score
There's a ton of websites around that sell a vast range of pomades, often already sorted by how strong the hold is. I don't want to advertise any sites I haven't dealt with my own, so just go around and google it. If you need any advice, research some blogs (there's a bunch of them out there) and youtube channels, all devoted to grease. You'll find your fit with a bit of trying around.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

@patrickBOOTH do you use any conditioner? And which Dr Bonners do you use? Sorry if this question was asked before.

I have pretty thick hair and have been shampooing with some regular stuff they sell at most stores. When I shampoo my hair always ends up being extremely frizzy and poofy. I use B&B Sumotech and it gives me a hold with a little bit of sheen, but I usually put my hands through my hair an hour or so after I apply it so it looks more natural. I have a habit of shampooing everyday because I feel like the product is still in my hair even after I shampoo.

First of all use the Shikakae soaps (in a pump container) they are a bit more moisturizing. Also, don't bother using them if you're not going to use the Bronners rinse, or lemon juice rinse, or vinegar rinse. Castile soaps have a high pH and cause your hair's cuticle to open up causing all of that frizz. In order to tame it you need something acidic to close the cuticle again and smooth it out.

elduderino

Reaction score
I had a quick run with the Baxter of California Clay Pomade this morning. I did get the promised firm but flexible hold and matte finish. However, I'm not convinced if I like it or not.
The smell of fennel may put some folks off. I love it (I also eat quite a lot of it, so that's that). The consistency is hard at first, but when you work it in your hands, it gets nice and creamy very fast. It almost feels like it totally dissolves between your palms and I had a hard time knowing if I got enough in my hair at first. It sure helped with the volume my hair already had from blow drying it before going to bed yesterday and it does look fuller than before. After working the clay pomade in my dry hair, I had the promised hold but not the suspected control. Actually, I had a lot of fly away hairs popping out of every other corner. Granted, I do need a cut, but I didn't have as many hairs flying out of shape before putting the pomade in. Hold and volume are a big plus, but gainign control over fine fly away hair might take some time getting used to.

Does any of you gents have some experience with the Baxter Clay Pomade and the issues I had? Any second opinions?

Last edited:

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had a quick run with the Baxter of California Clay Pomade this morning. I did get the promised firm but flexible hold and matte finish. However, I'm not convinced if I like it or not.
The smell of fennel may put some folks off. I love it (I also eat quite a lot of it, so that's that). The consistency is hard at first, but when you work it in your hands, it gets nice and creamy very fast. It almost feels like it totally dissolves between your palms and I had a hard time knowing if I got enough in my hair at first. It sure helped with the volume my hair already had from blow drying it before going to bed yesterday and it does look fuller than before. After working the clay pomade in my dry hair, I had the promised hold but not the suspected control. Actually, I had a lot of fly away hairs popping out of every other corner. Granted, I do need a cut, but I didn't have as many hairs flying out of shape before putting the pomade in. Hold and volume are a big plus, but gainign control over fine fly away hair might take some time getting used to.

Does any of you gents have some experience with the Baxter Clay Pomade and the issues I had? Any second opinions?

Its my go to product...its one of the only ones that makes my hair straight. I use some water based product first, (marlin goetz styling cream right now) then finish with the baxters.

elduderino

Reaction score
The control did get better once I found the right amount. I now use around two half-full fingertips of it (not one full fingertips at once). I get the strays standing out after the first application, but got the full form, and finish with another round to keep the form and tame the strays. I also found out that it has amazing natural shine when you add a little coconut oil as a topper. Seriously, my hair never looked so good without any sign of wetness or being overly slick. Just good, natural shine showing off the nuances of colour my hair has. I've now decided that I like it.

Downside: my girlfriend thinks it's too sticky. :violin:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads