• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Hair Thread

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I recently tried growing my hair a little longer than usual, it's about 4" on top and 1.5" on the sides right after a cut and I get it cut once a month (don't have time to go more often than that due to traveling for work). I've been trying to comb it in a nice clean professional style like this:

However for some reason I can't get it looking nice and clean like that, and instead it comes out more like this:

right side:

left side:

back:

The top looks decent, and the right side looks decent (albeit still not nearly as nice as how I would like it to be). The left side and the back just look messy.

I've tried 3 products - Crome Super Extra Hard Hold gel, Suavecito Firm Hold pomade, and Layrite Super Hold pomade (not all 3 together, I just try them out on different days), and I use a Kent Sawcut 14T comb.

Anyone got any insight as to why my hair seems determined to look messy and unruly not matter what I do? Am I combing it wrong, or not using enough product, or do I just have naturally bad hair, or what?
1) Figure out where your natural part is. It might not be in the same place as John Hamm's, but right now you're parting your hair lower.
2) Get a haircut at a good barber, some place that does classic cuts. If you happen to be in Portland, OR, message me and I'll suggest a place. Bring the picture and say that's what you want. Right now, your hair is definitely longer than his, and messier.
3) Do a better job parting your hair. You're not getting a nice, clean part.
4) If you still can't get a good part, ask your barber to shave in the part the next time you go.

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1) Figure out where your natural part is. It might not be in the same place as John Hamm's, but right now you're parting your hair lower. 
2) Get a haircut at a good barber, some place that does classic cuts. If you happen to be in Portland, OR, message me and I'll suggest a place. Bring the picture and say that's what you want. Right now, your hair is definitely longer than his, and messier.
3) Do a better job parting your hair. You're not getting a nice, clean part.
4) If you still can't get a good part, ask your barber to shave in the part the next time you go.

I agree with all of the above but 4...I had that done and unless you plan on going to the barber every 2 weeks I would advise against it. At least for me the new hair grew in and it looked stupid.

feliiiik

Reaction score
is there such a product that keeps hair wet looking with zero hold? I dont like the hardness / oils of gel and promade, but am looking for something to keep my hair malleable and wet.

I usually just put a bunch of leave in conditioner in my hair and it looks pretty good but it eventually dries out by mid day.

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with all of the above but 4...I had that done and unless you plan on going to the barber every 2 weeks I would advise against it. At least for me the new hair grew in and it looked stupid.
I guess it depends on your hair and how frequently you get it cut. I had my part shaved in once and didn't like it as parting my hair normally, and it looked fine to me while it grew back in. I get my hair cut monthly.

is there such a product that keeps hair wet looking with zero hold? I dont like the hardness / oils of gel and promade, but am looking for something to keep my hair malleable and wet.

I usually just put a bunch of leave in conditioner in my hair and it looks pretty good but it eventually dries out by mid day.
...water? Silicone lube (gross)? Coconut oil? I'd question the premise: why do you want your hair to look like it's wet all day?

Last edited:

Sharpe

Reaction score

Have you tried using just a little bit of a water-based pomade and working it through your hair?

Why water bsed and not oil based? I've been considering trying out uppercut oil based pomade. Not to get pompadore but to use a little too get a healthy look to my hair

ForumGhost

Reaction score

Wet, I don't know. However you can give it a bit of shine that looks some what wet with a frizz spray.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have recommendations for a hair styling product for thick, heavy hair? I want a strong hold and matte finish. I try to avoid gels and watery products because they tend to clump my hair. I must have tried dozens of products so far and I've yet to find the perfect one. Halp!

Last edited:

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have recommendations for a hair styling product for thick, heavy hair? I want a strong hold and matte finish. I try to avoid gels and watery products because they tend to clump my hair. I must have tried dozens of products so far and I've yet to find the perfect one. Halp!

Is your hair straight? Wavy? Curly? I have thick, strong, wavy-to-curly hair that I part every day and have been liking the effect of Bona Fide superior hold. Be sure that you work the product between your fingers or palms before applying---if it isn't softened up, it will clump.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is your hair straight? Wavy? Curly? I have thick, strong, wavy-to-curly hair that I part every day and have been liking the effect of Bona Fide superior hold. Be sure that you work the product between your fingers or palms before applying---if it isn't softened up, it will clump.

My hair is straight. I have this product from Paul Mitchell that I just bought. I forget the name but it's a white, dry-ish cream. It says strong hold but it's not a strong hold at all.

Based on my research, wax seems to be my best bet

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads