• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Hair Thread

Hair_Dude

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good men's shampoo? I'm looking for one without all the crap ingredients like sodium laureth sulfate. I don't think I want silicone in it, either. At the store, they all seem to have the exact same things in them. Thanks! :slayer:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dr. Bronner's soaps. The downside to a lot of the all natural soaps is their high pH relative to the natural pH of your hair and skin. Your hair and skin's natural pH is between 5-6. Natural soap is generally around 9. What this does it makes the hair's cuticle open up, which makes it kind of frizzy, dry, and waxy feeling. Bronner's also makes a citrus rinse, which is lemon juice based to shift the pH back down after using their soaps on your hair. This is what I use.

Hair_Dude

Reaction score

Dr. Bronner's soaps. The downside to a lot of the all natural soaps is their high pH relative to the natural pH of your hair and skin. Your hair and skin's natural pH is between 5-6. Natural soap is generally around 9. What this does it makes the hair's cuticle open up, which makes it kind of frizzy, dry, and waxy feeling. Bronner's also makes a citrus rinse, which is lemon juice based to shift the pH back down after using their soaps on your hair. This is what I use.

Thanks!

Also, anyone try Paul Mitchell Double Hitter? It's a 2-in-1 shampoo conditioner and is sulfate free.

Hair_Dude

Reaction score
Well, I went back to the part on the right side (hair goes to left) like the first pic below. I know it's going against the swirl at my crown, but this is the way the front seems to want to go. If I have to choose between the front or back, I'd rather have the front looking the best.

I got a much-needed haircut last night, but I had it parted on the left when it was cut. Does it matter if I change which side I part it on after getting it cut. It's just a typical, men's tapered cut with a side part. I'm rocking the right-side part today, and it seems to be working.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks!

Also, anyone try Paul Mitchell Double Hitter? It's a 2-in-1 shampoo conditioner and is sulfate free.

2 in 1's are usually garbage. Check to see if there are silicones in it. Also, Burt's Bees has some decent all natural shampoos. pH will still bean issue in most. I would check online to see if you can find out what it is, or email the company and ask. Sometimes doing a search for an MSDS can reveal that info.

Last edited:

Hair_Dude

Reaction score

2 in 1's are usually garbage. Check to see if there are silicones in it. Also, Burt's Bees has some decent all natural shampoos. pH will still bean issue in most. I would check online to see if you can find out what it is, or email the company and ask. Sometimes doing a search for an MSDS can reveal that info.

I gave the Paul Mitchell a try and it seems nice, but there IS silicone in it. I've noticed that after washing my hair in the shower, my finger tips have this annoying feeling like there is something on them. They feel like they are coated in something and maybe a bit sticky. It's hours later and my hands still feel this way. I'm thinking this is because of the silicone?

Any opinion on the Aveda Pureformance Shampoo? It appears to be sulfate and silicone free. I use their pureformance grooming clay and like it a lot (besides the price).

Hair_Dude

Reaction score

I don't have any experience with Aveda, but they don't tell you what's in it so that's can't be a good thing.

Yeah, I don't like that they don't have the full ingredient list on their website. I did find a review online and it looks like there aren't any sulfates or silicone. It's so hard to find a decent shampoo without the "bad" stuff. It's seems like they all have the same ingredients.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It'd be nice to see a clearer shot of the ingredients, however you're forgetting about pH. If it has a pH over 6 it will be useless in terms of hair manageability without adding some sort of mildly acidic rinse.

Hair_Dude

Reaction score

It'd be nice to see a clearer shot of the ingredients, however you're forgetting about pH. If it has a pH over 6 it will be useless in terms of hair manageability without adding some sort of mildly acidic rinse.

That was the best shot I could find, but I figured I'd try it and see. I can post a better pic when I get mine, if anyone's interested. I'm assuming Aveda knows what they're doing as far as pH is concerned, bu ya never know.

Last edited:

jmaudi0

Reaction score
i posted this same question in the SWD hair thread but figured it can't hurt to post here also...

my hair does absolutely nothing without product in it. it basically falls straight forward and a little to the side. so for the past 10 years or so i have kept it short on the sides (#2 usually) and a bit longer on the top and used a little bit of B&B Sumotech or Redken Men Texture Control putty to give the top some texture.

this summer i let the top grow out and i really like the look...the top is about 3.5" and blended into the sides which are buzzed with a #2. i style it with a bit of quiff in the front. the dilemma however, is what to do with it when at the beach. when dry and product free my hair looks terrible. it falls straight forward and has no life to it. i can wear a hat but i'm just curious what some other guys do in similar situations.

ThePiedPiper

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was hoping you guys could help me find a hair style that suits me. In the past I've just gone with the way it falls, and more recently, I've been adding mousse to keep it off my forehead. I am planning on keeping a permanent 5 o'clock shadow, if that makes any difference.
The hair is thick, and as it grows out, it goes from slightly wavy to full on curly. Also, the wave in the front is natural and permanent. Thanks for your help.

gdb619

Reaction score
Hey my name Greg I'm new to this forum I have medium length hair and I'm looking for a product that's really strong and will hold my hair in place that's not expensive and won't make it rock hard like some gels I like the slicked back greaser look but like I said u want it to be strong basically style it once and not have to touch it all day I ride motorcycles and hate helmet hair used to use a gel that would make my hair look nasty so I tried groom&clean but that's not strong enough I'm not to familiar with hair products thank u for the help

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I was in high school, I worked at plant shop. People used to come in and ask me, I need a shrub that is hardy, flowers all summer, the deer don't eat, can be in the shade half of the day, and is drought resistant. I would tell tell them: A fake shrub.

I am lead to believe this same principle may apply to you and your hair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads