• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want a traditional Fair Isle vest, google Jamieson’s of Shetland. Also, try Ben Silver, William Lockie, O’Connell’s or other traditional retailers. Drake’s knitwear is largely rebranded goods at hefty markups, the sizing/fit of which has been slightly (or not at all) altered. For the prices Drake’s routinely charge, you could in many cases pay to have a company or spinner in the isles knit one to order.

justinpledger

Reaction score
If you want a traditional Fair Isle vest, google Jamieson’s of Shetland. Also, try Ben Silver, William Lockie, O’Connell’s or other traditional retailers. Drake’s knitwear is largely rebranded goods at hefty markups, the sizing/fit of which has been slightly (or not at all) altered. For the prices Drake’s routinely charge, you could in many cases pay to have a company or spinner in the isles knit one to order.

Oooh! Thank you for this. Any other manufacturers that you can recommend beyond jumpers and knitwear. I am thinking outerwear...

Flight Of Ideas

Reaction score
So I‘ve received shipping information for my Sunday order but nothing yet for the one from Thursday morning. Weird. At least no item was cancelled (yet)

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oooh! Thank you for this. Any other manufacturers that you can recommend beyond jumpers and knitwear. I am thinking outerwear...
In the U.K. a company called Community Clothing utilises the downtime at U.K. clothing manufacturers to produce a range of essentials that includes some outerwear (Chore jackets, field jackets etc). As an example their jeans are made at the same factory as Nigel Cabourn and Hebtroco, but are a fraction of the price.

rob_ed

Reaction score
In the U.K. a company called Community Clothing utilises the downtime at U.K. clothing manufacturers to produce a range of essentials that includes some outerwear (Chore jackets, field jackets etc). As an example their jeans are made at the same factory as Nigel Cabourn and Hebtroco, but are a fraction of the price.

Second this. I have some of their camp collar shirts, which are perfect for the summer. Also just got the collared Harrington. They sell well-made, well design basics. Sort of like a British Uni Qlo haha. Good to support UK manufacturing too.

acwiz

Reaction score
Overshirt just came in pretty darn quick to Canada. Color is amazing and I love the way the collar stands up. No duties either so that’s great news.

FWIW I’m a 38-40R in tailoring usually and sized up to a L for more of a slouchy look but could’ve probably went with a M.
1CDA4A79-036E-4BD8-A5A7-9E4AF3023F55.jpeg

abantigen

Reaction score

That's a really cool concept and seems like a great mission to save jobs in the textile regions.

But at the same time, doesn't this contribute to the continued squeeze of middle tier brands? When people don't see any value in brands that have overhead costs like designing, knowledgeable staff and lease for physical locations then middle tier brands have to move up the market and charge designer brand prices and rely on hype to survive. I say this because I wish brands I love like Drake's could thrive selling at lower prices and I could support what they're doing by buying more items at full price.

mbb355

Reaction score
Ordered the charcoal lambswool shawl cardigan during the archive sale, arrived today. So good. Love the color, so much nicer than the mid-grey one they're offering now, imo.

cristofromkensington

Reaction score
Overshirt just came in pretty darn quick to Canada. Color is amazing and I love the way the collar stands up. No duties either so that’s great news.

FWIW I’m a 38-40R in tailoring usually and sized up to a L for more of a slouchy look but could’ve probably went with a M.
View attachment 1565874

looks great. I got the camel cord over shirt and the beige linen, I’m a 40 too though I got M - looks much more fitted but still allows me to wear a shirt or jumper underneath

Nat25

Reaction score

View attachment 1565874
When you wash it it will shrink considerably, even on cold FYI

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much is considerably? I got the M as I’m a 40, but I might struggle if it loses, say an inch in the chest when washed. Not that it would be washed often if worn with a couple of layers underneath.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much is considerably? I got the M as I’m a 40, but I might struggle if it loses, say an inch in the chest when washed. Not that it would be washed often if worn with a couple of layers underneath.
The overshirts are dry clean only. I would not put them in the wash, personally

cristofromkensington

Reaction score
Worst comes to worst, hand wash it. I hand wash most of my clothes, no shrinkage at all. I’m concerned about the over shirts, too. I got two in a medium, but if they shrunk at all I reckon they’d be unwearable.

Nat25

Reaction score
The overshirts are dry clean only. I would not put them in the wash, personally
They used to say wash cold on them

I have 5 of them, 1 was ruined and I learned my lesson and then I sized up and washed to intentionally shrink a little. They wear in much nicer if you can wash them in my opinion. The shine on them will fade and look more broken in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads