• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***The Official Dior Homme Thread***

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess that's the difference for me. I'm not buying Dior now, but I don't really lust over the Hedi pieces either. I like them, and I can definitely appreciate how menswear changed under Hedi's influence (how could you not? if you've bought a pair of jeans in the last five years you probably owe a thanks to Hedi for how they look), but it's not the sort of stuff I lust over. I do like the cultural reference points he draws on—like Richard Hell, The Ramones, punk in general—but it's not how I dress myself. That said, if I knew anything about fashion when I was 17, Hedi probably would've been my favorite designer working. Maybe I just missed the boat.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have the build for DH, so I've never really lusted after his more typical super-slim stuff, but there's so many gems in those collections that break out from that (gold boots, etc) that I'd love to own, and I still really like loose-fitting 19cms. Maybe you can't exactly attribute the blazer + tshirt + carrot fit jeans thing directly to him but it's still one of my favorite looks.

Zeemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

i really like the soundtrack it's one of my favorite german songs

Last edited:

Roygbivuxg

Reaction score

Maybe but you probably don't buy any DH pieces, like other people who say they like KVA on forums. What is different is that people who used to purchase DH stopped (well this specific segment). Diorbeasting is not as prevalent as it was before and I know plenty of people who sold all their DH pieces, I personally kept 3 or so.

You make a good point. The only DH pieces I own are denim and the first DH collection I was around for was ss09 (awful). Like other KVA fans, I prioritize purchasing KVA (the label) products over DH ones, simply because I like the look more and think they work better with my body type. It's been rare that DH under KVA out-shined KVA's own line, but I think FW12 is a perfect example.

I too am glad that the slim rocker look is dead, but I don't agree with those saying current DH is "watered down", whatever that means. A new designer will naturally bring a new look to a brand--just because KVA designs are less severe (maybe even less directional) than Slimane ones doesn't mean his collections have less "substance". From what I can see, KVA's collections (both for DH and his own label) are some of the most cohesive to be released every season. As an example, I don't think anyone expects Raf to incorporate the flair and over-the-top styling which Galliano was known for in his Dior--I expect the women's line to take on Raf's simplified approach. You wouldn't call that "watered down" right? It would just be natural brand evolution. Feel free to enlighten me if my reasoning here is incorrect or if I've misunderstood something.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with most of what you said really, but you've got to work under the design umbrella of the house when you're working for one of those big French labels.

wurm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't agree with most of what you said really, but you've got to work under the design umbrella of the house when you're working for one of those big French labels.

The people running these labels now don't really care about any kind of specific look though. They just concern themselves with profits and making sure they maintain a luxury brand image. Dior, Saint Laurent, Balenciaga, Balmain, etc. made clothes completely different from the designers running their namesake houses today. The evidence is even there for Raf's work at Jil Sander - it's quite different from Jil's aesthetic.

Last edited:

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That 'luxury brand image' is important though. You can't just do whatever you want when designing for one of those big houses; there has to be continuity. That's why Balenciaga is still modernist 60 years later, Lanvin still keeps the focus on fabrics, etc.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The people running these labels now don't really care about any kind of specific look though. They just concern themselves with profits and making sure they maintain a luxury brand image. Dior, Saint Laurent, Balenciaga, Balmain, etc. made clothes completely different from the designers running their namesake houses today. The evidence is even there for Raf's work at Jil Sander - it's quite different from Jil's aesthetic.

Raf gave JS his own touch, that's for sure, but you'd be mistaken if you're saying it was a total departure. He did a pretty good job of pulling from the JS past, and from my understanding, this was one of the attributes Dior liked.

Last edited:

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone know if the LA dior homme store has the raw mij 19cm in selvedge? i know they carry the normal raw mij 19cm in blue and black but hoping to find a pair in selvedge

bob99

Reaction score
From what I've read, the 19cm cut means a 19cm leg opening based on a standard size 32 waist. For every drop in size, remove 0.5 cm from the leg opening.

Can anyone comment on the maximum size that DH denim looks good? I know they make it large, but to get the actual effect it seems like you've got to be wearing a pair with a sub-32 waist.

I'm off to NYC next week, and thinking of picking up some of the raws. Do they sell both the MII and MIJ at the store? Is there a difference in the price, or a big reason to get one over the other? MII = Nostalgy, MIJ = Brut.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This slim rockerish stuff is dead. Can't stand it anymore. It's ok to keep either some of the tailoring or absolute classic (I still have the luster black waxed jeans).

I have many 19cm jeans (waxed, and other) and will keep and wear them until something better comes along.

Last edited:

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Dior makes raw denim in its 17.5 cm cut (I'm pretty sure the raw MIJ Diors are 19cm)? Long story short, I like the APC PS cut but would prefer Dior's quality (kind of obsessive). That said, the MIJ Dior raws I have (like $450 IIRC) aren't as tapered as a pair of APC PSs I own.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New raws this season will be available in the 17.5cm cut (MIJ). Could be pretty cool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics