• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOOCHY

Reaction score
Are the Alden PTBs at Epaulet really a darker color compared to the TSM? I wondered if it was just a difference in photography but it doesn't seem so. I really like the darker upper on the Epaulet but they don't currently have my size in stock.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the Alden PTBs at Epaulet really a darker color compared to the TSM? I wondered if it was just a difference in photography but it doesn't seem so. I really like the darker upper on the Epaulet but they don't currently have my size in stock.

The earlier comments (if that is in fact what you are referring to) were not about the darkness of the upper, but rather the welt. The upper shouldn't be darker between the two. I think it is just the picture.

querelle

Reaction score
Hello!
I don't know if it's the right place to ask questions about Alden, but I have just inherited a pair of them, and since they don't fit me, I would like to know whether they are worth some money or not.
As you may have understood, I'm a total newbie, so any help would be appreciated.
They are a dark burgundy-maroon-brown color, and come in size 10 1/2 B/D. They are definitely well worn, but they've been well looked.

I attach some pictures here; does anyone knows the style, and if they are valuable or just a worn pair of shoes worth nothing?
Thanks in advance!

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I don't know if it's the right place to ask questions about Alden, but I have just inherited a pair of them, and since they don't fit me, I would like to know whether they are worth some money or not.
As you may have understood, I'm a total newbie, so any help would be appreciated.
They are a dark burgundy-maroon-brown color, and come in size 10 1/2 B/D. They are definitely well worn, but they've been well looked.

I attach some pictures here; does anyone knows the style, and if they are valuable or just a worn pair of shoes worth nothing?
Thanks in advance!

These are an Alden stock Shell Cordovan plain toe balmoral in color 8 on the Aberdeen last.
They would probably sell on ebay pretty easily.
They are not terribly common, but are desirable nonetheless.
They could use a good brush and buff.
I hate to give people a value for their shoes, but they could sell easily for $100 to $200, but those numbers are not set in stone. (Estimate only)

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello! I don't know if it's the right place to ask questions about Alden, but I have just inherited a pair of them, and since they don't fit me, I would like to know whether they are worth some money or not. As you may have understood, I'm a total newbie, so any help would be appreciated. They are a dark burgundy-maroon-brown color, and come in size 10 1/2 B/D. They are definitely well worn, but they've been well looked. I attach some pictures here; does anyone knows the style, and if they are valuable or just a worn pair of shoes worth nothing? Thanks in advance!
I'm far from an expert but based on the numbering (934) these appear to be the cordovan plain toe bal from Alden of Madison. The cordovan market is pretty hot right now and what you have is a preferred style. The uppers appear to be in good shape but the soles could use some work. I would guess that as-is you could easily get a couple of hundred for those. At least that's what I would pay if they were my size. Bottom line is that those are pretty nice. Too bad they are not your size.

querelle

Reaction score
These are an Alden stock Shell Cordovan plain toe balmoral in color 8 on the Aberdeen last.
They would probably sell on ebay pretty easily.
They are not terribly common, but are desirable nonetheless.
They could use a good brush and buff.
I hate to give people a value for their shoes, but they could sell easily for $100 to $200, but those numbers are not set in stone. (Estimate only)

Thanks! Too bad I'm based in Europe, I don't think the market here is that hot. I will try my best.
Thank again.

querelle

Reaction score
I'm far from an expert but based on the numbering (934) these appear to be the cordovan plain toe bal from Alden of Madison. The cordovan market is pretty hot right now and what you have is a preferred style. The uppers appear to be in good shape but the soles could use some work. I would guess that as-is you could easily get a couple of hundred for those. At least that's what I would pay if they were my size.

Bottom line is that those are pretty nice. Too bad they are not your size.
Thanks! Too bad I'm based in Europe, I don't think the market here is that hot. I will try my best.
Thank again.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Unionmade was fun to stop by. Not a large store but a ton of Aldens (obviously) and some other cool stuff as well. Alden SF won't reopen until Tuesday
ffffuuuu.gif
but I might be able to hit it on the way to the airport. Was hoping that J. Crew would have some Aldens in stock, but no dice.

J. Crew did have a fair amount of the Alfred Sargents. The JC Ludlow LWB doesn't get much love on SF but having gotten to inspect a pair up close I was impressed - the fit and finish is good and the leather was a nice balance between refined and rugged. I wouldn't buy them on account of the China thing but I wouldn't look down on someone who did. Interestingly, they also sell a few C&J models, including one that's a lovely tan grain leather LWB. Apparently it's Mickey Drexler's favorite shoe (he wears it every day) and he's in the SF Centre store once a quarter and likes being able to get a pair when he wants/ needs one.

As for the rest, Barneys was fun, as was Ghurka. Today I'll try to hit BB Black Fleece, Nordstrom Rack, Ravits (Hamilton and Oris watches), Wingtip, and Wilkes.

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

GOOCHY, the dark brown CXL Dovers will look like this:

They wrinkle up pretty good though as they are CXL, so here they are on my second wearing!

The Epaulet pictures (with the exception of the one with the white background) are more true to color.

-Mike

Last edited:

REguy

Reaction score
I couldn't help myself. After grabbing a couple things from J Crew, I added their new alpine cap toes to my cart. I hesitated thinking they might have a coupon code that works down the road, but I'm betting they've got the holes pretty much plugged. If not, their IT people should be axed. I figure paying full price on these was offset by the $450 I paid for the #8 LWBs.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I couldn't help myself. After grabbing a couple things from J Crew, I added their new alpine cap toes to my cart. I hesitated thinking they might have a coupon code that works down the road, but I'm betting they've got the holes pretty much plugged. If not, their IT people should be axed. I figure paying full price on these was offset by the $450 I paid for the #8 LWBs.

didn't know how you paid $450 on shell LWBs, but congrats!

I'm been hoping that there is some sort of a code for Adens, but that seems very unlikely at this point.

REguy

Reaction score
There was a disturbance in The Force several months ago, and a few of us got lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics