• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I grabbed those Ravello chukkas from Alden SF yesterday but I'm thinking that the brown kudu chukkas with the lug sole would get a lot more use out of me. I might have to send those Ravellos back as I swore earlier this year I'd only buy shoes that would see a lot of wear from me. If only the Ravellos had the commando sole or something that was more durable in rain and bad conditions.

Same here. I called around 4:30 EST with cc in hand and they had my size. It was tempting but I decided against it only because they weren't commando.

anrobit

Reaction score
All this edging discussion....is it possible to use something like renomat and then maybe Allen Edmonds edge dressing to choose your own color? I was thinking about doing that with a pair of color 8 chukkas.
I don't think renomat would strip the edging. A friend of mine tried acetone, but that didn't work very well. Eventually, he resorted to a fine grit sandpaper, which worked well. You could then use your own edge dressing of any colour.

Do at your own risk.

Dillardiv

Reaction score

I don't think renomat would strip the edging. A friend of mine tried acetone, but that didn't work very well. Eventually, he resorted to a fine grit sandpaper, which worked well. You could then use your own edge dressing of any colour.

Do at your own risk.

Sandpaper makes sense. I guess the risk is just doing too much and having a badly shaped shoe or scratching the leather or perhaps staining the leather when applying the edge dressing? What are the horror stories? Seems pretty straight forward to me.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This happens to me all the time. Someone needs to invent a brush with soft foam bumpers of some sort. At least on the corners.  However, the market would be very small. Maybe only maniacal followers of the Mac method (like me)
shog%5B1%5D.gif
Here's an idea'r that just came to me. You know those elastic hair bands women use to tie back their hair? What if you took one of those and wrapped it around the wooden part of the brush, thus creating a ersatz bumper? Patent pending of course. Maybe one of you gentlemen who has many daughters can field test this idea. The other option is to buy shoe brushes whose handles are made out of buffalo horn. I've found that they are less damaging when accidents happen.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All this edging discussion....is it possible to use something like renomat and then maybe Allen Edmonds edge dressing to choose your own color? I was thinking about doing that with a pair of color 8 chukkas.

PeterL just posted a very nice tutorial on this and his turned out great. I've got a pair of color 8 Florsheim PTB's from eBay arriving tomorrow. I'm going to try and change the edging from dark to antique.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good luck if you go for the ravello mct. Maybe a tongue pad and/or insole could do the job, but I'll defer to the wise sages on this thread for matters of fit. Post pics, wear often and in great health!

Much more wise to just buy shoes in the correct size. I always smh at those who buy shoes in the wrong size hoping to force the fit.

Dillardiv

Reaction score

PeterL just posted a very nice tutorial on this and his turned out great. I've got a pair of color 8 Florsheim PTB's from eBay arriving tomorrow. I'm going to try and change the edging from dark to antique.

Thanks! Let us know how it turns out.

Dillardiv

Reaction score

I sanded it with 150 grit sandpaper. After i get all the black paint off, i sand it again with 220 grit sandpaper to smooth the surface. Then apply brown and cordovan color cream on the sole a couple times. After that i use Allen Edmonds natural edge dressing on the sole. REAL CAREFUL when you sand it. I managed to get a few minor scuffs on the process. Overall, I am very happy with the result.

Brown and cordovan (i.e. burgundy?) cream polish? And did you mean neutral? I didn't see natural edge dressing on AE's website. Any particular order on the brown vs cordovan? I'm excited to try this!

tylernim

Reaction score
Ok so like I mentioned a few pages back I finally found 1 shop that had my size in Shell Indys. They are gorgeous. I have all but decided to keep them as my first pair of Cordovans. I'm in a 10.5, and they feel pretty good. Stiff obviously being new and a heavy boot.

In this picture you can see a break in the shine on my right foot where the high part of my big toe is pushing the leather up (I have a tall foot). It's not painful in any way; just snug. Is this going to be a problem? I hear cord doesn't stretch and I understand why. I figured maybe the footbed would break it and create a little more space? The rest of my toes have plenty of room. Pinky toe isn't pressing against the side wall or anything.

Thanks!

PeterL

Reaction score

Brown and cordovan (i.e. burgundy?) cream polish? And did you mean neutral? I didn't see natural edge dressing on AE's website. Any particular order on the brown vs cordovan? I'm excited to try this!
I used the Meltonian brown and cordovan( burgundy) cream($3 at ShoeMart). I first apply the brown cream for few times so the edge absorb enough brown color. Then I put the cordovan cream on for 1 time. For the edge dressing, I bought the neutral one but it label natural edge dressing on the bottle. Wait at least 15 mins before applying the edge dressing. You don't wanna wipe off the color you just put on the edge. Have fun on the project

Last edited:

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rank these non-cordovan boots

J Gilbert tan wingtip boot on commando sole (Barrie)
Alden Madison chromexcel punch captoe boot on commando sole (Barrie)
Indy 403 (flat waxed laces)
Context Roy

You have many that trump these by miles and miles and miles. There are better CXL options out there, if that's what you're into. Same can be said for the tan boot.

So, yeah, I'm saying they are all at the bottom. I'm kind of sick of the 403, because j.crew has slowed Alden down for real retailers, and it was their intro of the 403 that started the madness that now crushes my dreams of buying rare cordovan colored shoes and boots. Alden is now strangely ubiquitous in my mind, though I never see them other than on my feet.

And I still buy j.crew wares. I'm an idiotic hypocrite. I need to stop reading this thread.

:foo::foo::foo::foo::foo::foo:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just placed my order for the 9.5D Ravallo Chukka. Apparently, they do NOT have the antique edge. I was told while ordering that Alden will not use the antique edge going forward on any cordovan. As disheartening as that sounds, who really knows for sure? Either way, I'm sure these will be beautiful.

Perhaps the market is driving this decision?

I'm not saying I agree with the decision - just throwing this theory out there .....

I should be able to report back within the next day or two as to whether or not this is a newly adopted policy. I have a reliable source who is fairly close to the action. I suspect it is not.

I heard back. I have it on good knowledge that this is NOT a new policy. The information provided to SIMKIN78, through no fault of his own, was wrong.

As you were, gentlemen, as you were ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads