• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalceoAdamator

Reaction score
NST Black shells today...

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tankers fit a bit narrower in the toe
Perfect and thanks! With a chukka being not quite a shoe or a boot I wasn't sure how they fell in line. The only thing as bad as getting a shoe or boot you don't have the crosshairs set on is trying to make one fit that doesn't. My 9.5D chukka's are about as wide in the heel as I can go, but they do work. 9.5E would likely be too large. And there is enough room inside that I can wear heavy wool socks without being too tight so it sounds like a 9.5D would be my boot size in the Barrie also. Thank you once again.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey I just received these same boots from J Crew. I find that these look narrower and fit slimmer than my AF89's and Indy 403's. The site said it was on a Trubalance last, but it doesn't exactly feel like it. Are you having the same experience?

My impression was that it's a barrie boot, but I'd generally go by what the site says...

unless they have photos, or colors, or soles, or x wrong. :sarcasm:

This is also coming from someone who engaged an SA about the merits of Alden boots, being told that Indys were on the "treblance" last... :facepalm:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My impression was that it's a barrie boot, but I'd generally go by what the site says...

unless they have photos, or colors, or soles, or x wrong.
sarcasm.gif

This is also coming from someone who engaged an SA about the merits of Alden boots, being told that Indys were on the "treblance" last...
facepalm.gif

I had a SA at the J. Crew Ludlow shop in Copley Sq. Boston tell me (with all the assurance and certainty he could muster) that the B/D stamped inside the boot meant that it was on the Barrie last and D width.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
welp, these suede chukkas from davidwood are tiiiiiight on my right foot..

can any stretch be anticipated with unlined chukkas?

Last edited:

Owlbass

Reaction score

Yeah, Alden's grain and suedes are worth it. And I think calf is underrated on this thread, really. I love my J.Crew PT boots.

Hi,

I'm new and this is my first post. I was looking at either these Jcrew PT boots or the indy 403 or 405.

What's the difference in the leather between the Jcrew and Indy 405? I just read that someone thought they were more narrow then the Indys. Are there any other differences, besides the toe and heel stitching?

Thanks,
Owen

kinetic758

Reaction score

unless they have photos, or colors, or soles, or x wrong.
sarcasm.gif

This is also coming from someone who engaged an SA about the merits of Alden boots, being told that Indys were on the "treblance" last...
facepalm.gif

I'm gonna have to agree with you that these seem more like a Barrie fit than a Trubalance... wouldn't be surprised if the J Crew web folks did a simple copy and paste from the Indy description. Either way, they're pretty nice... maybe slightly dainty looking compared to an Indy with a commando sole.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd love to get some whiskey Alden's, but man, nine hundred bones? I was also looking at the Leffot NST #8 Tanker pre-order. Does anyone have an opinion on this make-up?

My color 8 NST boots on the Plaza last from JGilbert may be my favorite boots. The NST design on a boot works great IMO.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I totally agree and good point. I use bar on almost all my dress shoes and a few boots both odd and even eyelets. There are work arounds for odd numbered as pointed out recently and also on Ian's shoelace site. However for me I have found that having the laces come from under instead of out through the top of the last eyelets at the top is not a problem. They work just fine and no one is the wiser.
Personal opinion of course but I actually prefer speed hooks on boots and also a commando sole so they would be close to idea for me. And nothing wrong with #8 either. Not only is the 9.5D already gone but I just went back to check again just in case and 10.5D and 8.5D are also gone now. They are going quickly in the common sizes.

1. Thanks. I bar lace pretty much everything, even the eyelets portion of shell boots that have hooks. IMO, bar lacing provides a cleaner, less cluttered, presentation (which, I admit, may not be something everyone is going for). Reasonable minds can differ on bar lacing boots, or even some bluchers, but it seems almost a given that balmorals should be bar laced. But to each their own.

2. Commando soles on boots are great. Hooks are okay, but I would probably prefer all eyelets, at least for most boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads