***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

The tanker make up is awesome. If I didn't have two other shell 8s ordered I would have jumped at them. That seller on eBay has other Aldens for similar prices. It will be interesting to see if they sell at that price.

2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

It's a great makeup - the antique edging really suits it. The commando sole increases the versatility. Highly recommended.

3. alex4nder

alex4nder Well-Known Member

They're solid. My only word of warning is: they can run narrow (slightly more so than my Barrie short-wing boot). I've got big pinky toes, and my left foot is tight enough that I just got in on the next pre-order for a 9.5E, to replace the 9.5D I just received from Leffot. By comparison, my 9.5D Alden x JCrew Ravello LWBs are spacious.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  4. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I walked into Leffot with the intention of preordering the alpine grain longwing... However, after handling a pair in store, I decided against it (the crepe and the black alpine blend in together too much IMO). I went with the black cordovan longwing preorder instead... Two longwings on order (color 8/antique and black), I may grab a suede version or something than call it quits on the gunboats...

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

This is true. My 9.5E tankers are narrower than all of my 9.5E longwings. They fit, but the narrowness is noticeable. Another example of a barrie lasted boot running smaller/narrower than shoes.

6. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I totally agree and good point. I use bar on almost all my dress shoes and a few boots both odd and even eyelets. There are work arounds for odd numbered as pointed out recently and also on Ian's shoelace site. However for me I have found that having the laces come from under instead of out through the top of the last eyelets at the top is not a problem. They work just fine and no one is the wiser.
    Personal opinion of course but I actually prefer speed hooks on boots and also a commando sole so they would be close to idea for me. And nothing wrong with #8 either. Not only is the 9.5D already gone but I just went back to check again just in case and 10.5D and 8.5D are also gone now. They are going quickly in the common sizes.

7. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Anyone have a comparison of the tanker boot fitting compared to the Alden shell chukka which is on the Barrie last also?

8. kinetic758

kinetic758 New Member

Hey I just received these same boots from J Crew. I find that these look narrower and fit slimmer than my AF89's and Indy 403's. The site said it was on a Trubalance last, but it doesn't exactly feel like it. Are you having the same experience?

9. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I've definitely noticed this in my 11 D Tankers, which fit better than 11 D shoes on the barrie. I wonder if I should try 11 C for shoes on the barrie.

10. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

They turn whiteish/ grey In the rolls, but a good brushing takes care of it. Then, they're black. They do have a different lustre than black calf though, more like a black car with a layer of clear coat.

11. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I think they're a great looking boot as long as that's the boot you really want. If you really want something else, then it might be worth your while to paying just a bit more to get it.

12. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Thank you dddrees, for the reasoned and sound advice.

13. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I definitely believe in getting the shoes you really want over another style you merely like because they happen to be available or are, say, 10% cheaper.

14. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

No problem.

I've made this mistake a couple of times myself. Get something less and either regret it or later go back and get what I really wanted and spend more than I should of to begin with.

15. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Tankers fit a bit narrower in the toe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.