***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

If you're talking about stock 975s, the edging is definitely Black.

2. ThArtOfWardrobe

ThArtOfWardrobe Senior member

Totally agree, and in no way did I intend to question his credibility. I guess a better way to ask the question would've been has anyone had personal experience with this and can they speak to their individual results?

3. gastarbeider

gastarbeider Senior member

first (and only) pair of aldens. the j crew indys. [​IMG]

4. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  5. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Gentlemen I would like to make small request, I know must of us are shell heads however with summer around the corner, I am looking for ideas for a suede option. This will be my first introduction to suede, if possible please post pictures of your favorite suede make ups.

6. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

Hi folks,

Hoping you can help. I'm sliding further down the slippery slope that is gunboats (like the kids say in Pokemon, "gotta catch 'em all!") and planning to buy some natural cxl 975s.

Question 1: Leydon last or Barrie?
    I'm thinking Leydon, as my 2 shell (8 and cigar)gunboats, the jcrew suede, and the jcrew waxed brown/tobacco/"faux cxl" are all Barries. My research on prior posts leads me to believe the Leydon is sleeker/less blobby vs the Barrie, leading to a possible dressier feel. However, I've never seen a Leydon in person, so this is pure conjecture.

Am I right that Barrie 8.5D = Leydon 9D? In other words, Leydon = TTS? Please confirm...

Question 2: Is natty cxl a wise addition to the collection? Is it silly to field a Mon to Fri rotation of 975s? I may be assuaging my grief over passing up the whiskey shell gunboats only to learn about the impending shell shortage. So is a natural cxl purchase at this point too much shop therapy? Should the $ go to a future grail shoe I haven't thought of yet? It just seems the natural cxl longwing is easy to pair with jeans, chinos and lightweight summer suits. That said, you guys have me thinking about a chukka for summer.

Thanks for the advice!

7. jdpirtl22

jdpirtl22 Well-Known Member

There are a lot of suede makeups, and it really depends what your style is. I've always been a fan of these [​IMG]
    navy longwings from the guys at leffot.

8. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

There was a post within the past few days that showed a leydon and barrie chukka side by side, which will give you a good profile comparison.

Natty CXL does go great with jeans, and it is a very decent make-up, so its not a bad idea to get it.

On the other hand, don't burn yourself out by doing too much too fast. In the little over a year that I have been lurking/posting in this thread, I've seen more than a few folks go nuts buying everything they see only to sell a lot of them a few months later because they don't end up wearing some of them enough. Its never a bad idea to keep your powder dry so that you can blast off on something you really like that pops up later. For all you know, someone could unexpectedly get a restock of the whiskey LWB in 2 weeks.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

9. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Keep it simple. Unlined 1494s

[​IMG]

10. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

^ can't wait till my 1494's arrive...should finally be here in a few weeks.

bespoken pa - until those arrive, I'm still wearing my snuff suede chukkas, which are also a great choice in addition to the tan pair. Shell is more popular among this thread, but IMO Alden does unlined suede just as well. :D

[​IMG]

11. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

It's taken no small measure of will power to resist buying a pair of unlined suede chukkas in each color . . .

12. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

i agree with the above. alden is just as great at suede as they are with shell. i don't own a single pair of calf aldens and probably never will. shell, suede and cxl for me.

13. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

tell me about it...I've been looking for a navy pair in my size for a while, and I would have no problem picking up a dark brown pair as well.

14. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

Spent some time in the snow with my Tankers today. They may not be the warmest boots for winter weather, but they are still damn comfortable for a long walk when it's not too cold outside and the commando sole was perfect for those icy patches early this morning.

[​IMG]

15. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

Saddle shoes are by definition not balmorals. But if you are asking whether bar style lacing would look good on saddle shoes, anything looks good on Alden shell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.