• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitchottie

Reaction score

:facepalm: .... it's not 200 off if they've been worn. You can't compare cost of new shoes vs used ones
Never mind... Price is not low enough for first qualitys that have been worn 4 times....returning ....

lummers13

Reaction score

Can anyone identify this last?
img_0013-1_2.jpg

img_0016-1_2.jpg

Thanks.

Barrie last on a crepe sole

Last edited:

Edgein

Reaction score
I sold some Alden color 8 loafers on *bay which the buyer wants to return. He says they fit like 11.5 when they are marked 11 D. Is it possible that shell could stretch 1/2 size? If anyone is interested, PM me. Thanks

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, anyone around here asking if shell stretches gets a resounding no from some very knowledgeable parties. My guess is that a half-size difference is highly improbable. Seems to be me that if they are marked 11 and were sold as 11 then it is a clear case of periculum emptoris. Of course, it is your seller rating.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I sold some Alden color 8 loafers on *bay which the buyer wants to return.  He says they fit like 11.5 when they are marked 11 D.  Is it possible that shell could stretch 1/2 size?  If anyone is interested, PM me.  Thanks

Is it on the Barrie last? Could it be so simple as the fact that your buyer didn't understand that a 11D on Barrie fits like a 11.5D TTS shoe?

CTYGGG

Reaction score

Does this boot exist in double leather or commando sole? I'd like a Indy style boot but in Grant or Barrie.

That's tough, most cigar Indy boots are on the trubalance. Leffot carries the cigar Indy with the commando sole on the trubalance, and Alden NYC carries it on the double leather sole but in trubalance as well. Could always purchase the Frans Boone make-up and have a cobbler like B Nelson resole them to your liking if the Barrie last is a must.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
A link to what? If you're outside the EU you subtract the VAT which is 20%. Upon checkout the VAT will be deducted. This issue arose yesterday in regards to Frans Boone.

If the vendor ships by UPS, you'll pay that 20% back in customs fees, though, unless the vendor is willing to mark a low value on the customs form for you.

So much misinformation lately (not aimed at you CTYGGG).

1. Frans Boone is in Netherlands. VAT is 19% there. And to figure out what you'll pay less VAT, you don't take 19% off the top. Divide the vat included price by 1.19. (It's an exercise for the reader to determine how to do this for a 20% VAT.)
2. Frans Boone ships via UPS or Fedex outside of Benelux region. It says so right on their web page.
3. You shouldn't be having to pay any customs for made in USA goods entering the USA. You may or may not get hit with brokerage fees. Fedex charges $25. Don't know what UPS charges but it's probably similar. DHL is under $10 I think. And if you do happen to be buying UK or Italian made shoes, the customs rate should be around 9%.
Even if you get a shipment via global mail/usps, there's still a chance you could get hit with customs although it's unlikely.
And of course more than likely, you're also supposed to be sending in your state use tax.

Also there is some level of Fedex service which includes the brokerage. I know that the Bureau Belfast uses that level of service. Their shipping is expensive (30gbp I think) but I've never received a customs bills due to a package sent from them and I receive it within a couple days. Given how much Frans Boone is charging for shipping perhaps they're using that service. This is pure speculation on my part.

advan031

Reaction score

That's tough, most cigar Indy boots are on the trubalance. Leffot carries the cigar Indy with the commando sole on the trubalance, and Alden NYC carries it on the double leather sole but in trubalance as well. Could always purchase the Frans Boone make-up and have a cobbler like B Nelson resole them to your liking if the Barrie last is a must.

that's too bad...I just want a Indy boot style but in a slimmer profile.

AldenLuver

Reaction score
Is it on the Barrie last? Could it be so simple as the fact that your buyer didn't understand that a 11D on Barrie fits like a 11.5D TTS shoe?

Alden's LHS loafer is on the Van last which runs large like the Barrie.

CTYGGG

Reaction score

So much misinformation lately (not aimed at you CTYGGG).
1. Frans Boone is in Netherlands. VAT is 19% there. And to figure out what you'll pay less VAT, you don't take 19% off the top. Divide the vat included price by 1.19. (It's an exercise for the reader to determine how to do this for a 20% VAT.)
2. Frans Boone ships via UPS or Fedex outside of Benelux region. It says so right on their web page.
3. You shouldn't be having to pay any customs for made in USA goods entering the USA. You may or may not get hit with brokerage fees. Fedex charges $25. Don't know what UPS charges but it's probably similar. DHL is under $10 I think. And if you do happen to be buying UK or Italian made shoes, the customs rate should be around 9%.
Even if you get a shipment via global mail/usps, there's still a chance you could get hit with customs although it's unlikely.
And of course more than likely, you're also supposed to be sending in your state use tax.
Also there is some level of Fedex service which includes the brokerage. I know that the Bureau Belfast uses that level of service. Their shipping is expensive (30gbp I think) but I've never received a customs bills due to a package sent from them and I receive it within a couple days. Given how much Frans Boone is charging for shipping perhaps they're using that service. This is pure speculation on my part.

Zippyh, thanks for setting the record straight. My VAT math is rusty and I apologize for any misinformation on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads