• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ravello cap toe boots on the grant last arrived today. My photos do not do them justice

Yeah, this has been my grail shoe for a while. But I am not sure about the grant last for me. Congratulations. Nice grab.:slayer:

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ahab. This is my second Grant lasted model from Alden. I don't have long term experience with it but out of the box it feels much better on my foot than than the Barrie.

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im new to Alden. I bought a pair of 403 Indy boots 2 weeks ago and discovered a mark
today, any advice on polishing or shoe care. Today I bought a pair of Vintage oil nubuck
Indys, have no idea about shoe care on these either. Thanks in advance.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Im new to Alden. I bought a pair of 403 Indy boots 2 weeks ago and discovered a mark
today, any advice on polishing or shoe care. Today I bought a pair of Vintage oil nubuck
Indys, have no idea about shoe care on these either. Thanks in advance.

You have a few choices with the 403, ignore it and let it get some character. Just brush it....I would use a clean or new brush to preserve the white stitching, Saphir Médaille d'Or Renovateur, Neetsfoot and I have used brown shoe cream on a scratch in the past on mine. Not sure about the nubuck but I think you can find that info.

enigma77

Reaction score
You have a few choices with the 403, ignore it and let it get some character. Just brush it....I would use a clean or new brush to preserve the white stitching, Saphir Médaille d'Or Renovateur, Neetsfoot and I have used brown shoe cream on a scratch in the past on mine. Not sure about the nubuck but I think you can find that info.

Alden neutral boot cream. Apply, brush vigorously, wear. Repeat. Polish if you must, but for brown chromexcel I believe polish is optional.

elwood49

Reaction score

Ravello cap toe boots on the grant last arrived today. My photos do not do them justice

I have these same shoes coming in tomorrow. My first pair of Aldens. I went TTS on these as they were the last pair that Leffot had, and I know that a few people here said that TTS will work instead of Steven's recommended 1/2 size down. Fingers crossed...

nbernie

Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on speed hooks? I'm thinking of getting boots without them ( I so far only own LWBs and PTBs) since I think they look clunky, but I was wonder how you guys felt about them/ if it's going to be too much of a pain to lace them every time. Also, is it possible to get speed hooks removed if I try and don't like them?

enigma77

Reaction score
Today I wore Whiskey PTB's, Barrie last:

They have darkened and look almost Ravello, which I prefer, and you can see some wax buildup on the outside of the toe box. I am not using wax and it is getting less noticeable.

Nice Ravello vibergs in the bottom pic ;)

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What are people's thoughts on speed hooks? I'm thinking of getting boots without them ( I so far only own LWBs and PTBs) since I think they look clunky, but I was wonder how you guys felt about them/ if it's going to be too much of a pain to lace them every time. Also, is it possible to get speed hooks removed if I try and don't like them?

its not a make or break feature. Case in point: the Leffot Ravello Captoe Boot. Fantastic and imo casual boot that lends itself for a more casual and quick lacing system like speed hooks

enigma77

Reaction score

I stopped buying boots with speed hooks some time ago and never looked back. Removing them and replacing with eyelets is something only a shoemaker can do. A place like B. Nelson would be your only bet for "converting" a boot, but I would not count on them being able to do this.

It's not a pain to lace them every time. You have to lace boots every time you wear them whether they have hooks or not. I highly recommend boots without hooks. The look is clean, but retains the presence of the boot.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I stopped buying boots with speed hooks some time ago and never looked back. Removing them and replacing with eyelets is something only a shoemaker can do. A place like B. Nelson would be your only bet for "converting" a boot, but I would not count on them being able to do this.

It's not a pain to lace them every time. You have to lace boots every time you wear them whether they have hooks or not. I highly recommend boots without hooks. The look is clean, but retains the presence of the boot.
:thumbs-up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads