• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AE_afficionado

Reaction score
Are any retailers currently stocking cigar or ravello makeups? LWB perhaps? Sorry if I sound naive about this.

Since the Wingtip boots in Barrie are an E width I assume I would need the same in a non-boot

AE_afficionado

Reaction score
Speaking of widths....I did a preorder for the Epaulet Innsbruck boots but I did so in a regular D width. I have Indy 404 boots (kudu rocks!) in an E, but in certain areas fit a bit wider than necessary. I tried D width 403's at a local b&m and they seemed to be fine with a little tightness in the forefoot area which I thought would break in with some time.

If I ended up making a mistake on the fit; has Epaulet historically offered any flexibility for returns and exchanges? If not, is the secondary market strong enough for these that I could sell them without taking a significant hit?

aldenwear

Reaction score

We only think that (and would never buy one of those boots) because we're Aldie aficionados.  I actually don't blame J. Crew for piggy-backing off the popularity of the Indy boot.  Pretty savvy of them.

It is sticking the finger in the eye of a supplowr. Either the relationship is frayed or broken and so J.Crew does not care or J. Crew has such bargaining power it thinks Alden cannot afford to care.

Skatenc123

Reaction score
That is not an Alden boot? Amazing that J. Crew would rip off a product made by one of its suppliers.
yea i also thought it was alden at first look. Im curious if Alden is going to do anything about it. With Jcrew having the long wing and the boot, and also carrying alden.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like J Crew, but they copy a number of brands - Alden, RRL, Barbour, etc.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:yea i also thought it was alden at first look. Im curious if Alden is going to do anything about it. With Jcrew having the long wing and the boot, and also carrying alden.
Does Alden hold a patent for this style of boot? Not sure if that's the correct legal term. Also, Frye makes the Walter boot which is also an Indy knockoff. This leads me to believe that anyone can produce this style of boot. I don't think it really matters because Alden fans won't buy the J Crew version either way. J Crew is simply offering a cheaper alternative

sungmineyo

Reaction score
Just checked jcrew version of indy boots online. Wow thats straight copy and paste but still it doesnt have alden vibe. I guess we are still in good hands. Sometime when I wear alden lwb, ppl ask me if it is from jcrew. But it doesnt bother me at all. Comparing jcrew to alden is sin.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just checked jcrew version of indy boots online. Wow thats straight copy and paste but still it doesnt have alden vibe. I guess we are still in good hands. Sometime when I wear alden lwb, ppl ask me if it is from jcrew. But it doesnt bother me at all since by comparing jcrew lwb to alden is sin.

A lot of people only know Alden from J Crew stores. I've mentioned this before, but I have been approached and asked "Are those J Crew Aldens" before while wearing Alden cordovan chukkas.

Bobbo316

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is one of those things were, as much of a shame as it is, JCrew doesn't care. JCrew is somewhere around a 3 billion dollar company(last I checked), that is praised on the business market for their creativity and innovation in their respective market.

Additionally, I have heard from many retailers that they cannot attempt to sell shoes/boots they cannot get. 2+ years wait on certain styles cannot fit the model of a fast growing ever changing company like JCrew. I'm not saying I agree with this, but in a business world you have to understand why they would attempt to hijack a style. Every industry in every spectrum of the world does this very same thing. Where can you go now adays that is a chain style store that doesnt sell some sort of hijacked product?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
I highly doubt that any company owns a shoe style. LWB, PTB, Monks are just styles. Sure the Indy has the stiched apron, but so do a lot of shoes.

You definitely can't say that JC's Ludlow LWB and PTB are copies of Alden. It's just a style.

Last edited:

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ Is it fair to say this is a total Indy boot copycat? (it is not made by Alden)
The AE Mojave is pretty much a copy of Alden's chukka. They don't offer it in shell, but someone listed a shell MTO Mojave on eBay:
$_57.JPG
Compare to Alden's 1339:
DSC_0026.jpg
AE's Patriot penny loafer seems to be their best replica of the LHS. Of course Alden doesn't own the rights to basic designs like these, and the Patriot doesn't resemble the LHS perfectly. But the Mojave is obviously a copy IMO.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^ And what chukka is Alden's a copy of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads