• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Gents - color 4 captoes

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People gloss over Alden's issues or brush them under the rug going on about beautiful shell. It does new readers a disservice when they read this thread or post about issues that other manufacturers would not let reach the customer (or not nearly as frequently) and are told that it's "normal" or that they're being "too picky". Don't pretend like Aldens make a very high quality shoe. They make a quirky shoe. You may have some sort of emotional attachment or forgiveness for these quirks, but don't try and kid yourself that you're paying for quality. Yes, everybody likes different things... it's OK to like fast food and acknowledge it isn't "good" food.
I have a couple of dozen pairs of Aldens and have had ZERO problems with quality control. Obviously there are examples out there as documented on this thread. But as far as my experience goes, I have had nothing but great quality shoes delivered my way. To liken Alden to fast food sure seems to me like you have your own personal/emotional issues with the brand. Maybe you were using hyperbole to make your point, I don't know. Whatever the case may be, it seems as though you are guilty of your own personal judgment of people you do not even know.

Personally, when I find a brand of just about any type of clothing that fits comfortably and looks good, I usually go all in with it not because of an emotional attachment, but one of comfort/fit and aesthetic. Please don't judge me or others here with your condescension; it's pretty lame. It's as if you are a more enlightened person for having come to grips with how mediocre a brand of shoe, Alden is. Thank you for helping us to see how dishonest we have been to ourselves.

Long crappy day... didn't mean to be confrontational.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RTP, those are looking superb for 3 years with frequent use. You are making me regret the Color 8 LWB hole in my closet. It will get filled someday soon. After I get off of my Ravello, Cigar, and Whiskey purge, which Alden seems to be doing for me... :)

-Mike
Hard to believe a man with your LWB collection lacks the 975. That J Crew sale could have made your collection complete for a really nice price.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People gloss over Alden's issues or brush them under the rug going on about beautiful shell...Don't pretend like Aldens make a very high quality shoe. They make a quirky shoe. You may have some sort of emotional attachment or forgiveness for these quirks, but don't try and kid yourself that you're paying for quality.

LOL. Preach!

I hate you. Those are ridiculous.

Sorry, I had to get that out. Sazon, those are some amazing boots. The shine on those are insane.

-Mike

Don't hate the player; hate the game. It's not Sazon's fault Alden is weird and (*allegedly*) refuses to produce more shoes in Color 4. I am just waiting for the day when Ravello and/or Whiskey shell become virtually non-existent as well.

I honestly believe this whole rare shell phenomenon is complete B.S. I think they are just trying to maintain a pent up demand and cult status for their goods.
Cheers.

ATLVol

Reaction score

I sent Will an email yesterday and just heard back from him.  He said that it was too late for the current order, but put me down for a 12.5D for the next run of these -- whenever that is.  

I hope this means these will be made sooner rather than later.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

LOL. Preach!

Don't hate the player; hate the game.  It's not Sazon's fault Alden is weird and (*allegedly*) refuses to produce more shoes in Color 4.  I am just waiting for the day when Ravello and/or Whiskey shell become virtually non-existent as well.  

I honestly believe this whole rare shell phenomenon is complete B.S.  I think they are just trying to maintain a pent up demand and cult status for their goods.  
Cheers. 

LoL. I don't hate Sazon at all. I was just joking. I do wish that I was in the Alden world before Color 4 disappeared.

I will also state that I have no clue why Cigar is a rare shell color. It doesn't look particularly light to me that would cause only 1% of shells being candidates for the color due to its inability to hide imperfections. I guess they know more than I do.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Hard to believe a man with your LWB collection lacks the 975.  That J Crew sale could have made your collection complete for a really nice price.

Thank you RTP, however I have been in no rush really due to the current ease of getting #8. I thought the JCrew sale was just for people with JCrew credit cards or something. I must have missed a coupon code.

I was also thinking of getting a narrow size in these for a perfect fit. I go for a great fit on the rare colors due to availability.

I also plan to get a Black as well someday.

-Mike

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LoL. I don't hate Sazon at all. I was just joking. I do wish that I was in the Alden world before Color 4 disappeared.

I was just busting your chops a little in jest. I bet if you stick around long enough, Color 4 will re-emerge at some point. That is not to say Color 4 will be easy to get under such circumstances. I recall LeatherSoul getting some nasty-grams from at least one person who was unable to get hold of one of LS's Color 4 makeups. Also, if Color 4 comes back, expect a 950 USD handle or something, better yet it will only be available in Japan for more.

Lastly, I bet Whiskey and Ravello will get several more price increases in the next two years.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

I was just busting your chops a little in jest. I bet if you stick around long enough, Color 4 will re-emerge at some point.  That is not to say Color 4 will be easy to get under such circumstances. I recall LeatherSoul getting some nasty-grams from at least one person who was unable to get hold of one of LS's Color 4 makeups. Also, if Color 4 comes back, expect a 950 USD handle or something, better yet it will only be available in Japan for more.

Lastly, I bet Whiskey and Ravello will get several more price increases in the next two years. 

Ugh $950.

Sadly, I think there would still be a tough fight to get our hands on them.

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you RTP, however I have been in no rush really due to the current ease of getting #8. I thought the JCrew sale was just for people with JCrew credit cards or something. I must have missed a coupon code.

I was also thinking of getting a narrow size in these for a perfect fit. I go for a great fit on the rare colors due to availability.

I also plan to get a Black as well someday.

-Mike

There is no rush. Or is there?
nest.gif

docalden2013

Reaction score
Kathy and the gentleman from Alden of SF have both told me outright that Alden is done making color 4. IIRC it's the most complicated to brew, so they will continue to focus on #8 and black. So for now, the only way we're getting #4 is if Saz suffers some sort of freak psychogenic fugue and decides to sell his entire herd. Sadly for me, he's not an 8.5d barrie.

Can't we all just get along? There is so much debate about practicality and qc and the proper valuation of Aldens. They're going to suit many of us and they're going to wrankle others. As a very wise poster noted earlier, to each his own. Each person has their particular reasons for purchasing or passing. For me, Alden is the go-to both for emotional reasons and familiarity: I know the brand so well now that, even though I might find better quality and/or cheaper prices, I know what I'm getting with my $ and don't need to work too hard to find interesting, versatile shoes and boots. Let's get back to reveling in shine, patina and mother-daughter Appreciation jokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads