• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone here has any Alden (or anything really) on Dainite? I haven't seen anything, and all these pictures of shoes being worn in the snow and sleet has made me curious as to how it would hold up in such inclement conditions.
I have some Riders on Sestriere soles. (Extremely similar to Danite).
They give me the feel that they would hold up well.
The traction would be less than a lug or commando.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

On the whole shell comparison thing, I snapped a few quick iPhone shots (best I could do) of my modest shell collection thus far (well, most of it and obviously omitting a few orders I have not yet received). I was a little bit stubborn earlier in my refusal to believe that Alden's shell has a superior finish, but my #8 JCrew captoe boots have -- hallelujah! -- shown me the light. The first few pics are of the Aldens next to the C&J for RL Lindricks and the Epaulet Carmina Steinbecks. As others have said, the Carmina shell is the driest of the group. The Lindricks are a jump ahead but still not up to the finish on the Aldens. It's a tough call, but if I had to choose one boot, it would probably still be the Aldens over the much pricier (if you can't get a deal) Lindricks. I love all of these though -- it is good to have choices and be able to rotate. The Carminas get a lot of wear lately as a foul weather boot, given the rubber soles. Final shot is a comparison between the Alden for Jcrew and some 20+ year old #8 Florsheim Imperials I found BNIB on eBay. The finish on these - and the construction - is surprisingly good in my opinion. The lighting does make them look a little browner (less burgundy) than in real life.
Thanks for the comparison, Buda. The Lindricks look great, there. What, is anything, have you done to them besides brush them?

tigerpac

Reaction score
^^I have some Tricker's stow boots on danite soles. I generally like the sole but haven't brought them out in much foul weather to play. From my limited experience I would guess the Alden commando sole works a bit better than danite but again, not a scientific conclusion there.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the comparison, Buda. The Lindricks look great, there. What, is anything, have you done to them besides brush them?

Thanks. I have done nothing but wipe down and brush. Also subbed in Alden flat waxed laces per Mr. DV and others.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Thanks. I have done nothing but wipe down and brush. Also subbed in Alden flat waxed laces per Mr. DV and others.

They are officially on my radar! (As you may have seen elsewhere...haha)

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Wondering if anyone here has any Alden (or anything really) on Dainite? I haven't seen anything, and all these pictures of shoes being worn in the snow and sleet has made me curious as to how it would hold up in such inclement conditions.

If you want Dainiite on Aldens, you're going to have to have it done.
Dainite is much less slippery than regular leather in the wet but on ice/snow it's still death slippery.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On the whole shell comparison thing, I snapped a few quick iPhone shots (best I could do) of my modest shell collection thus far (well, most of it and obviously omitting a few orders I have not yet received).  I was a little bit stubborn earlier in my refusal to believe that Alden's shell has a superior finish, but my #8 JCrew captoe boots have -- hallelujah! -- shown me the light.  The first few pics are of the Aldens next to the C&J for RL Lindricks and the Epaulet Carmina Steinbecks.  As others have said, the Carmina shell is the driest of the group.  The Lindricks are a jump ahead but still not up to the finish on the Aldens.  It's a tough call, but if I had to choose one boot, it would probably still be the Aldens over the much pricier (if you can't get a deal) Lindricks.  I love all of these though -- it is good to have choices and be able to rotate.  The Carminas get a lot of wear lately as a foul weather boot, given the rubber soles.  Final shot is a comparison between the Alden for Jcrew and some 20+ year old #8 Florsheim Imperials I found BNIB on eBay.  The finish on these - and the construction - is surprisingly good in my opinion.  The lighting does make them look a little browner (less burgundy) than in real life.

+1 - variety is nice.
The finish and construction of shell Florsheim Imperials (before the company took a turn for the worse) is at least as good as all of the above named brands. I have Florsheim LWBs in burgundy shell (1973) and they are definitely browner than Alden's color 8 model 975 (which I also have).

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes. Florsheim shell on Dainite, and AE shell on Dainite. Not as good as Alden's commando in slippery conditions, but lower in profile than Alden's commando.

tampatravel

Reaction score

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ MrDV's ravello shortwing boots are probably the one pair that would allow me to retire from this addictive madness. Well done, DV!

I actually agree with this. As long as I could keep everything I already have, ha!
Gentlemen, please don't piss on our backs and tell us that it is raining. Acquiring this boot would not slow you down in the least.

I've not seen mine yet but we went without mail for several days due to the ice storm in Dallas.
What ever happened to:

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"

Then again, I guess this saying mentions nothing of ice storms...

docalden2013

Reaction score

Gentlemen, please don't piss on our backs and tell us that it is raining.  Acquiring this boot would not slow you down in the least.

Guilty as charged. In my defense, I've restrained myself from purchasing natural cxl boots for the last 3 weeks. So far, I've been able to stave off the urge with a couple of rationalizations: I have lots of wt boots already; the natty cxl would patinate into a shade resembling one of my medium brown boots; and maybe I can wait until I get the AoC brown cxl boot in April. And the number one defense: the money should go toward a brown shell boot of some kind. And that is where my defenses would probably fail--so I blame Alden for it's failure to offer a MrDV boot.

ErikW

Reaction score
Aldens shine better that C&J, Carmina, and AE. Aldens look more lush in any color compared to a similar color of another brand.

In my experience, owning various shell models of the 4 brands, the dryness scale would be as follows (shell most dry listed first):

Carmina
C&J
AE
Alden

I would buy Alden cigar shell SW boots if I could get them on the Plaza. But I would still keep my Lindricks.
Any thoughts on Tricker's shell shoes and how they compare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads