• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am coming off of a pretty bad Alden bender and was hoping that you guys could share your worst Alden damage in a week to make me feel less bad about all of the children in Africa that could have been fed in lieu of my four new pairs of shells.
when I buy more than my share within a month, I think of zippyh. he gets multiple pairs or REALLY nice shoes every month.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of people seem to think tassels and full strap loafers are "old fashioned" or somehow age inappropriate.

Based on the poll from a few weeks ago, I'm on the younger side among forum members, and two of my earliest cordovan models were Leffot's ravello tassels and the Ralph Lauren Marlow tassels. Both are among my favorite (well "were" in the case of the Marlows until one of the tassels fell off). I think they are very versatile and look great broken in. My color 8 full straps are also great during the workweek. If I had to choose between the two styles, I would go tassels.

blackboard_knowledge

Reaction score

when I buy more than my share within a month, I think of zippyh. he gets multiple pairs or REALLY nice shoes every month.

That supports one of my hypotheses that, similar to wealth disparity, five percent of Alden shell enthusiasts own 80% of the Alden shells released.

Fortunately, for as bad as we think that we have it, Alden releases pale in comparison to things such as sneaker drops. I mean, no one has been killed over a Leather Soul drop (that I am aware of). However, that may change if they do something like a NST boot with commando sole in #4.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ravello Longwings I managed to find a slightly older Ravello Longwing. They have the medium antique edging on them. I really like how the color compliments Ravello. What do you all think? I also have the Alden DC Ravello Longwings with the dark antique edging too.
AoC Ravello Longwing (Medium Antique) next to Alden DC Ravello Longwing (Dark Antique)
Cheers, Mike
First, those are slick. Hopefully I'm done buying shoes for a while but I would jump quickly and without hesitation on a pair of Ravello long wings with antique edging. Nice pickup. Now, about your delivery. Your message is so non-chalant. Like you just found a quarter on the cafeteria floor at work. If I found those shoes I would be screaming from the rooftops. That's a lot of cool for such a rare score. Enjoy.

tigerpac

Reaction score

#8 Plain toe high lace boots / commando sole from Alden of Carmel have arrived!

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. the AF53 is a classic model - great all purpose boot. The plain toe ages beautifully from photos I have seen.

REguy

Reaction score
I've been on the road for the past several weeks and came home to a pile of goodies...

Perhaps the best shoe related item I've ever purchased is this Gerstner toolbox. Nice to see there are still true craftspeople in the US. Thanks again to whomever posted up that sale info.

I also scored pairs of Ravello (Aberdeen 10.5D) and Cigar (Barrie 10D) NSTs. Unfortunately, I think these are going in B&S or being returned. They were sort of an impulse buy, and I don't really need them.

Last edited:

masaccio

Reaction score

No shipping notice yet, but my credit card was just charged for the J Crew #8 cap toe boots originally estimated for early December (from last coupon).

This gives me a new hope about mine, which are supposed to ship in early December. There was a previous report of someone on the thread being notified of a delay until early 2014.

Mine were paid for by gift card, so no credit card activity will act as the canary for my order. Will likely be refreshing my account page on jcrew.com many times today! Heck, my productivity was always going to suffer during the short week, anyway. What's one more distraction?

green garden

Reaction score
Longwing Party

Decided to pull out all of my Longwings for a family photo. I have all of the rare longwings covered. Now I guess I should start thinking of the standard (Color 8 and Black)... :)

I find it interesting, the color on the vamp of my Cigars and my Alden DC LWBs are essentially the same in this lighting. The Ravello has just a pidge more red in it in real life. The AoC LWBs are definitely more red. At this point, I really do not have a favorite, I love them all in their own special ways.

The only shoe that I have more colors in, is the LHS... :)

-Mike
Like the ravello of Alden DC but the medium antique of AoC. But would be happy to just get my hands on one. Still in the DC waiting list. Amazing collection.
worship2.gif

vestbash

Reaction score
Longwing Party

Decided to pull out all of my Longwings for a family photo. I have all of the rare longwings covered. Now I guess I should start thinking of the standard (Color 8 and Black)... :)

I find it interesting, the color on the vamp of my Cigars and my Alden DC LWBs are essentially the same in this lighting. The Ravello has just a pidge more red in it in real life. The AoC LWBs are definitely more red. At this point, I really do not have a favorite, I love them all in their own special ways.

The only shoe that I have more colors in, is the LHS... :)

-Mike
Truly a collection worthy of envy.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Big suede day for me. J Gilbert snuff suede wingtip boot is finally in and...after 2 year wait...tan suede LWB from the LS pre-order!!

Beatle, where ya at???? You must be super psyched as well

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been on the road for the past several weeks and came home to a pile of goodies...

Perhaps the best shoe related item I've ever purchased is this Gerstner toolbox. Nice to see there are still true craftspeople in the US. Thanks again to whomever posted up that sale info.

that is niiiiiiiice.
I want one of these boxes. I do not need it, I already have a nice set up for my shoe care products. I do not have space for it, but I want one anyway.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This gives me a new hope about mine, which are supposed to ship in early December. There was a previous report of someone on the thread being notified of a delay until early 2014.

Mine were paid for by gift card, so no credit card activity will act as the canary for my order. Will likely be refreshing my account page on jcrew.com many times today! Heck, my productivity was always going to suffer during the short week, anyway. What's one more distraction?

Clicking on the sizes on the website shows no backorder for sizes 9.5 - 12. That is to say, the site now recognizes these as being in stock and available. Hopefully this is actually true for those who have been waiting.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that is niiiiiiiice.
I want one of these boxes. I do not need it, I already have a nice set up for my shoe care products. I do not have space for it, but I want one anyway.
I LOVE mine.
I wish it had slightly more space, but the build quality is great!

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A lot of people seem to think tassels and full strap loafers are "old fashioned" or somehow age inappropriate.

Based on the poll from a few weeks ago, I'm on the younger side among forum members, and two of my earliest cordovan models were Leffot's ravello tassels and the Ralph Lauren Marlow tassels. Both are among my favorite (well "were" in the case of the Marlows until one of the tassels fell off). I think they are very versatile and look great broken in. My color 8 full straps are also great during the workweek. If I had to choose between the two styles, I would go tassels.

For guys in many lines of work, including mine (law), I see tassels and full straps as part of a well rounded shoe wardrobe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads