• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually heard my GF telling her BGF that I was texting "my little friends" on a website devoted to shoes, OMG, and they were talking about a guy who got, wait for it, a scuffed shoe. (Insert maniacal female cackling here). Great job on your shoes sazon! You never know what you might have to do to make money.

So it's not just me who has to deal with this on a daily basis :confused:

We are apparently "...very cute posting pictures of our shoes for our daily show-and-tell"

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it's not just me who has to deal with this on a daily basis
confused.gif

We are apparently "...very cute posting pictures of our shoes for our daily show-and-tell"

Your signature quote says it all.....

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi gang. First post here and a weird question...

I have a pair plain toe boots in Barrie/calfskin/commando from Leffot/Alden that fit me perfectly in 8E even though they have just started to break in. Best shoes ever owned. Especially that...:

I also have a pair of the AF43 (plain toe boots on Trubalance/cordovan/commando) in the same size that, after a year and especially after wearing the above shoes, don't fit me well. In short the heel is shaped differently and because the Trubalance are wider my foot uncomfortably places itself towards the front of the shoe after a while.

Adam from Alden of Carmel is
patch%5B1%5D.gif
refusing me to sell me the AF89 (plain toe boots in Barrie/calfskin/commando) in 8E because he says that if the Trubalance (cordovan) don't fit me in 8E there is no way the Barrie (calfskin) will fit me in 8E.

"We believe the problem is you want to avoid wearing a larger size, so you are requesting a size that is too small.   You won’t be happy with size 8 1/2 E, and you are not happy with size 8 E because it is too tight.   You will not be happy with any size we send."

WTF? Is it inconceivable that Barrie and Trubalance fit someone differently and that "bigger" doesn't necessarily mean better? 8.5 is way too big for me in Barrie/Trubalance.

And where else can I purchase Barrie/calfskin plain toe boots... in 8E...? I don't mind getting on a waiting list... as much as I need black shoes, and I already have chromexel,  I would contemplate different colors...

It's a weird situation that I don't entirely get myself  and to be frank I am a bit annoyed.
:fu:

1) Are you saying the Trubalance boots are in effect too big? Barrie boots fit tighter than Trubalance boots, so it makes sense that 8E in Barrie would fit you better than 8E in Trubalance.

2) Some retailers are sensitive to sending wrong sizes and getting shoes returned. From what I have seen, AoC is among the most sensitive to this issue, so it is not really surprising they are hesitant to sell you the shoe.

3. Alden NYC / Alden DC / Alden SF should all have various models in 8E available. Not sure if they will have exactly what you want. Leffot and Context will let you preorder 8E.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Tifosi, I love your logic and need to adopt it...  I'm saving $ by purchasing Shell cordovan boots by consequently not having to buy Chrmxl boots.  Thus I can buy another shell offering. You da man my friend!
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

Amazing how I came up with a logic to convince myself to buy more shell, huh??? Shocking.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Hi gang. First post here and a weird question...

I have a pair plain toe boots in Barrie/calfskin/commando from Leffot/Alden that fit me perfectly in 8E even though they have just started to break in. Best shoes ever owned. Especially that...:

I also have a pair of the AF43 (plain toe boots on Trubalance/cordovan/commando) in the same size that, after a year and especially after wearing the above shoes, don't fit me well. In short the heel is shaped differently and because the Trubalance are wider my foot uncomfortably places itself towards the front of the shoe after a while.

Adam from Alden of Carmel is
patch%5B1%5D.gif
refusing me to sell me the AF89 (plain toe boots in Barrie/calfskin/commando) in 8E because he says that if the Trubalance (cordovan) don't fit me in 8E there is no way the Barrie (calfskin) will fit me in 8E.

"We believe the problem is you want to avoid wearing a larger size, so you are requesting a size that is too small.   You won’t be happy with size 8 1/2 E, and you are not happy with size 8 E because it is too tight.   You will not be happy with any size we send."

WTF? Is it inconceivable that Barrie and Trubalance fit someone differently and that "bigger" doesn't necessarily mean better? 8.5 is way too big for me in Barrie/Trubalance.

And where else can I purchase Barrie/calfskin plain toe boots... in 8E...? I don't mind getting on a waiting list... as much as I need black shoes, and I already have chromexel,  I would contemplate different colors...

It's a weird situation that I don't entirely get myself  and to be frank I am a bit annoyed.
:fu:

I agree. If an 8E fits you well in Barrie, then I could see the same size in Trubalance AND in cordovan being a bit larger. 2 shoes on the same last, one in calf and one on cordovan will fit differently. Cordovan being slightly larger.

jacob6221

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post.

I recently picked up a pair of burgundy bluchers 2nds from the Shoemart. They were made on the modified last. I fit really well in a 9D in my 403 Indy boot but I knew the Barrie last wasn't for me because I needed a deeper heel cup since I have custom orthotics. I ordered a 9D in the modified last but I think they might be a half size too big. Unfortunately I also think that I have too much vamp crease to return them. In any case, here they are: I really like them, and I can barely notice the defect, which only appears to be a small mark on the side of the shoe that is completely unnoticeable while standing.

virilio

Reaction score
@Alcibiades

The question is why would the Leffot PT Boots/Barrie/calfskin/commando fit differently than the AF89/Barrie/calfskin/commando in the same size?

If there's some factor I am not aware of, I would like to know, because these Barrie/calfskin/commando/8E I'm wearing are damn perfect.

I'll try to answer your question, but 'tighter' is going to be tighter on each person's foot differently...

Both the Barrie and Trubalance fit me but:

1) the Barrie heel is more pronounced apparently, it makes my foot sit further back, and the shoe (not the sole but the shoe) is something like 1/4" longer or a bit less
2) the toe area of the Barrie is more bulbous and my toes are not cramped, whereas the more rounded shape of the Trubalance with my feet sitting more forward feels claustrophobic
3) the cordovan of the Trubalance makes this intolerable

In retrospect I would have passed on the AF43 or gotten them in 8.5E would have to wear them with thick socks, but that's because of the cordovan.
I think it's completely wrong of Adam of Carmel and his high horse that helps him write his emails to assume I don't know what the hell I'm talking about and took these $600 decisions lightly.

I already talked to Alden NYC, but black plain toe boots in Barrie/calfskin are going to be hard to come by anywhere. I don't want cap toes, cordovan or Indy.

Thanks for reading.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
virilio,

I understand your frustration. I have not heard of a fit difference between calfskin boots and chromexcel boots in th same last. They should fit very similar in 8E.

You know your fit better than anyone else... If you really want the shoes, you could offer to buy them from AoC on a "no refunds allowed" basis, but it is unfortunate you even have to go there.

Last edited:

virilio

Reaction score
I know what you are saying with Trubalance > Barrie and with Cordovan > Calf ceteris paribus. I was WORRIED when I ordered the Barrie/calfskin in the same size, knowing the tight fit of the AF43/Trubalance/cordovan, but that was after trying them, so I listened to my feet, not my head, and that was the right thing to do. Anyway.

virilio

Reaction score
I already offered him to waive my option to return the shoes, based on the fact that I am wearing basically the same shoes in a different colour...

"We prefer not to send shoes out when we believe they will not fit, or when we believe it will lead to future problems."

puzzled.gif

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great combo. I Need these. Epaulet or LeatherSoul?

Thanks Sazon. These are the Brixtons from Epaulet.

I also pre-ordered LeatherSoul's #8 Pitt boots with antique edge. Not sure when those babies will arrive.

CEE88

Reaction score

Finally!! My JGilbert shell Indys on Commando!
Congrats tifosi! They look great. How do they fit? I've had mine for a month or so, and they are probably my best fitting shoe/boot. If I was traveling to Europe for a month and could only take one pair of shoes/boots (to walk6-7 hours a day through museums and over cobble stone streets), it would be my color 8 Indys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads