• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go
Sage advice there. They are shoes...that's what they are intended for right? I should probably take this advice as well.
Got to respectfully disagree - if it is really wet out, you want to care for your expensive shoes. Why be reckless if you can be safe? I recommend checking out SWIMS, though they are a bit odd looking and even downright silly on some shoes. You also need to have the foresight to take them with you - not always possible, esp where/when weather changes unexpectedly. I dress business casual most of the time and so I've come to favor adding more commando/vibram/Dainite soled shoes to my rotation. I will wear shell and leather soled shoes in milder wet conditions, but otherwise I'm careful. Why? Confession - I once pretty well ruined a very nice pair of Testonis by wearing in heavy downpours and otherwise not caring for them properly. Was likely more the latter than the former, but I've learned something and stay cautious.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
I definitely do not want to purposely destroy my shell shoes. Dont get me wrong. But I also don't want to shelf them for the season i bought them for, either. I just want a solution for to and from my car going to work, basically. Not looking to shovel snow in my shell, leather sole boots.

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
I have a little bit of an unrelated question here, but hopefully some of you guys with boots can help me out.

I am wondering what you do when a model of boots has speed hooks instead of eyelets? I really like the alden for J crew cap toe boot, but I don't really like speed hooks. Replacing them from, say, B. Nelson, is expensive ,and also just doesn't look as good. So, do you just live with them? Learn to love them? Or wait until a make up comes around that has everything you totally love? I don't seem Alden changing this make up for J.Crew any time soon...

CarolinaMan

Reaction score
I wear Alden shells with leather soles outside when it is raining all the time. No ill effects on the shoes. Watermarks, if any, go away when dried or polished. My concern is the effect on the sole more so than the uppers.

b-ewing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a little bit of an unrelated question here, but hopefully some of you guys with boots can help me out.

I am wondering what you do when a model of boots has speed hooks instead of eyelets? I really like the alden for J crew cap toe boot, but I don't really like speed hooks. Replacing them from, say, B. Nelson, is expensive ,and also just doesn't look as good. So, do you just live with them? Learn to love them? Or wait until a make up comes around that has everything you totally love? I don't seem Alden changing this make up for J.Crew any time soon...
Was in the same boat. And honestly I would still prefer them with all eyelets, but that aside they're damn near close to my favorite Alden boot build so I said "screw it" and bought em. I say do the same :)

Last edited:

trunks206

Reaction score

Yeah, I invited this response. Seriously tho, should I treat them with any weather dressing or just follow the standard rules of regular wear followed by the post-wear treatment (trees, cloth cleaning, heaving brushing)?

Just buy another pair of cordovan Aldens to use as your rain boots......duh. :D

But seriously as a fellow Alden loving PNWer you need to pick up some of this to prevent water spots.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/AldenForJCrew/PRDOVR~93963/93963.jsp

Enjoy your new boots!

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Unless you have to have a perferated cap toe, I would look at TheShoeMart's "bootmaker edition" cap toe boot. All eyelets and on Grant instead of Barrie(if that is a positive for you or not I don't know).

b-ewing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm in MA so we now have warm days and cool nights....

It was so nice waking up these past two mornings to sub 60 degree temps! I haven't worn these in July or August but this morning was the perfect morning for shell boots!

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Alden Defender works great

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
Unless you have to have a perferated cap toe, I would look at TheShoeMart's "bootmaker edition" cap toe boot. All eyelets and on Grant instead of Barrie(if that is a positive for you or not I don't know).

I'm on the fence. I have looked at this model before, and I really really like it too. Really splitting hairs. And then to make it worse, I just saw the Leffot Naval boot in #8. I think the real solution is just get another job or two haha.

And as far a lasts go, I don't have any experience with any of the Alden lasts yet. The 1-511 last (dalton boot) from AE fits me perfectly in a 12D. So i'm assuming I would be 11.5D on barrie and 12D on grant, based on what i've read. But again, don't know the real differences of them well enough. Ordering from Canada only makes the problem worse haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads