• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
I was there today. They have whiskey LWB in 9.5, 10 and 11 (he might have mentioned other sizes but I cut him off after that). They have a cigar PTB in 7.5, Whiskey LHS, Cigar NST. Not sure on the sizes of the last two. I would call again, they were very helpful the last time I called.

They don't have any Whiskey Longwings in 10D anymore... :) Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gents,

I believe I have an Uncle Mac in the wild sighting this morning!! I didn't want to disturb him as he read his WSJ, but I'm pretty sure this was him.

No argyles OTC. Can't be, or can it?

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
#8 saddle
argyles otc

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

With the understanding that this board is biased, and the caveat that I just pre-ordered some ravello, can anyone who owns both Alden and Carmina shell speak to the difference in comfort? Do they use cork footbeds? Which shoe do you find yourself wearing more often?

The difference in price seems to be nominal and I'm wondering if I should give them a try once my shoe fund recovers.

I believe the construction is the same overall. Might be more information on the Carmina website. I'd say there's no difference in comfort, assuming you can find a Carmina last that suits you. They only offer a wide fitting in one or two of their lasts, if width is an issue for you. Good luck.

jbcohen

Reaction score
I have been told that the only problem with sandel's is that they do not have any padding in them (please excuse my spelling if I missed the mark on that score).

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

With the understanding that this board is biased, and the caveat that I just pre-ordered some ravello, can anyone who owns both Alden and Carmina shell speak to the difference in comfort? Do they use cork footbeds? Which shoe do you find yourself wearing more often?

The difference in price seems to be nominal and I'm wondering if I should give them a try once my shoe fund recovers.

I'd say there's not enough of a difference between them to make any generalizations.

The shell Carminas I have are dressier, single leather sole models so don't really compare to most Alden cordovan models.
Comfort is about the same when comparing Carminas to single leather sole Aldens.
The Carminas are much better finished than Aldens.

I find myself wearing Aldens much more often but that's mainly because they match how I usually dress.
Plus I have about a 10:1 ratio between Alden and Carmina.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gents,

I believe I have an Uncle Mac in the wild sighting this morning!! I didn't want to disturb him as he read his WSJ, but I'm pretty sure this was him.
The asst principle at my kids school is a really nice dresser , good taste but he wears those same shoes. I feel sometimes I should have man to man with him

oops

Last edited:

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I own 3 pair of Carminas and preordered a 4th pair.
They are very comfortable and lighter in weight when compared to alden.
The narrower lasts make them less casual when compared to alden. Better w suits.
My Carminas get worn less than my alden mainly because I wear more casual than formal.
I wear Carmina w dark denim and dressier ep walts.
My Carminas are more refined. they do straighter stitching and perforations, use identical matching shells, the shoes look more luxe out of the box.
Alden shell ages better w less products and care, my Carmina shell needs more attention than my alden (Reno n wax)
All that being said, I prefer aldens and only use Carmina for styles alden doesn't offer; ruby shell, double monks, loden shell. (I won't mention the pythons)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads