• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quoting my own photo in order to ask a question...

I don't wear these boots as much as I would like because I don't love the sole. It's double leather with a Cats Paw toppy and as I bought them well used, it's just not very comfortable... So I decided I should have them resoled but with something "wacky"... Maybe.

So lets call this a chance to see something new...

Do I...

-Go commando? (Sorry for the pun) and if so, which one?
- Go crepe? (It is comfortable)

This last is my favorite right now...

- Go Vibram? Yes... Vibram. Probably black if I can find it but maybe even tan like you see on the LS conservation boot or some Unionmade make ups

What do The Gentlmen suggest?

P.S. No silly colors please. My definition of "wacky" does have boundaries :nodding:

Commando or Dainite or double waterloc

green garden

Reaction score
I received some unlined tan suede chukkas (1494) that I got at ~1/2 price in worn-once condition. Some quick pics from this morning are below.

I was unsure of Leydon sizing, but I rolled the dice and they seem to fit well. I'm an 11 C in Barrie shoes, 11 D in Barrie high boots (go figure), and these are 11.5 D.

I know that some here would prefer this style in snuff, but I think for my intended use -- warm weather wear, primarily with chinos -- the tan color would work nicely. Opinions are welcome, though.

BTW, I'm not a Dodgers fan. The trees were simply half off a couple years ago from AE.
1/2 price, you did well. Have the same sizing experience. 8C in Barrie and 8.5D in Leydon. The debated long on snuff vs. tan. But when I saw how the tan pairs with a dark raw indigo jeans in the store, I instantly made up my mind. I think tan is very versatile. Enjoy!

green garden

Reaction score
Hi All, This is my first post as I've been following this particular thread for quite sometime. I've wanted the Alden for J.CREW Cordovan Cap Toe Boots for almost a year now. After requesting the seventh Store wide search over a period of a few months, I was notified last Friday that a pair in size 7D had been located.

I received these boots today in the following condition (see pictures), with creases on both boots which quite frankly is bugging me. I called J.Crew and all they could do is apologize for this and offered to take them back as well as issue another store wide search. Quite frankly I don't think they will find another pair in a 7D and when I inquired as to why they don't show a 7D in their website, I was told that the buyers had simply stopped placing orders for my size.

If I were to keep these boots would I be able to somehow do something about these creases? Can they be buffed out? I'm thinking of going over to the Columbus Circle Store in NYC where they were shipped from and asking for a discount. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before and if so what was your outcome?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback. - Thank you

A person I worked with in Marketing once told me that there is no bad product, only a bad price. These obviously should not have been sold brand new at full price. Negotiate a discount and it'll be like Christmas in May.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

RTP, I'm really digging your tassels. A Great Gatsby like stylish hot weather combo. Wear the heck out of them. Uncle Mac please forgive me, but I believe I'm starting to think that there is a pair of tasseled 563 loafers in my future.

nephew,
that would be a good father's day present

Last edited:

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anybody here has experience with Citishoes? They have the Whiskey LWB on their website but that page doesn't look like has a real time inventory , I sent two emails and called with no luck.??

Bought 2 pair in person, last year. Voltaire, good guy. I would go back.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have decided that my next Alden purchase is going to be the leydon Snuff chukka boot, as per Mr. Beckham pages back.

jmemt

Reaction score
I made a post a few weeks ago that my #8 Grant captoes weren't working for me. Good news, it turns out that it wasn't the boots that are broken, it was my feet. I went to see the podiatrist and had custom inserts made. Boy, they make a huge difference. I wore my Indy's Tuesday, the captoes yesterday, and the Indy's again today with no problems. On one hand, I am thrilled my Aldens fit so well now. On the other hand, my checkbook is sad, especially with all of the potential shell releases I read about over the last couple of pages!

yesssir

Reaction score
How do you guys keep up your chromexcel Aldens? Can I use Saphir renovateur and polish like I use on my calf Aldens? Thanks.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do you guys keep up your chromexcel Aldens? Can I use Saphir renovateur and polish like I use on my calf Aldens? Thanks.

Just Reno. No polish required. And only Reno sparingly. Brush is your best friend.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if its a scratch i cant get out just by rubbing with my thumb, i'll use a bit of reno.

admittedly, I beat the hell out of my 403s and dont really care about them

yesssir

Reaction score

Just Reno. No polish required. And only Reno sparingly. Brush is your best friend.

if its a scratch i cant get out just by rubbing with my thumb, i'll use a bit of reno.

admittedly, I beat the hell out of my 403s and dont really care about them

Thanks guys. Sounds like they are pretty maintenance free then. I'm looking at grabbing the indy chromexcels and the PTBs on the flex sole that are chromexcel. I guess they build character through the wear and tear.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rejoice! The 9.5EE cigar LHS fit great! Pics this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads