1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

Yes, CXL will get spots on it by just looking at it (almost) but they are very very easy to work out.

2. phaseshift

phaseshift Senior member

How does one work it out? What should I get for daily/weekly cleaning and to iron out the kinks on the leather?

3. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

A horse hair brush and an occasional leather cleaner and/or conditioner. Read through this thread and their is TONS of info

4. phaseshift

phaseshift Senior member

Mannnn, I know but I'm like damn these are 500 dollar shoes haha. Where can I get some waxed laces?

I've just been staring at them for the past like 3 hours, I need to create an excuse to go out and use them....maybe a walk in the park lol

5. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

I would just call Alden SF and see if they can give you a pair of the flat waxed laces.

-Mike

6. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

Exactly this. I like bick 4 every few months if you're not looking to darken the leather but everybody had thirty favourite. Don't over do the conditioner though. House hair brush does wonders on its own

7. prez

prez Senior member

Merry Xmas to all Alden fans.

8. mdubs

First wanted to say congrats! Those are a beautiful pair of boots (and great photos). Those spots are minor. CXL is a unique leather and develops a beautiful patina with time. As others have said, just brush and use leather lotion from time to time. Enjoy them much!

If the shoe trees fit into your boots without feeling too big or small, then feel free to use the AE trees.

Merry Christmas,
    Mike

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  9. mdubs

Dave, You have a beautiful collection of Alden boots and take terrific care of them. Enjoy them in 2014 and many years to come. Merry Christmas, Mike

10. PeterL

PeterL Senior member

It seems that the dye stains on color 8 cordovan are pretty common. Is it possible to find a perfect pair?

11. ScottMC

ScottMC Senior member

PSA - most Alden for Brooks Brothers are on sale right now on the BB website for the semi-annual sale, plus an extra 15% off right now. Just picked up a pair of Aberdeen tassel loafers for $317 before tax/shipping. Looks like everything except cordovan. Merry Christmas.

12. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

Perfect? No

I find that almost every pair has an issue although in general minor, but some of the more recent posts with irregular dye or marks are far outside what I have personally experienced with a fair number of color 8. I will add the more recent ones I've received have been the best in terms of finish.

13. mtc2000

mtc2000 Senior member

Factory/retailer QC issues aside, apparently, some craftsmen/women do not take pride of their own work in the first place. I wonder if they know there are customers who are "passionate" about their Alden shoes.

14. jet

jet Senior member

It's just a job to them they don't give a shit.

15. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

The worst part IMO, is the excitement that builds from lengthy lead times only to be let down. One quickly comes to the realization that the choice is clear accept less than ideal or begin the waiting process again. However when Alden gets it right, the feeling of joy when one lays their eyes on new flawless Cigar Indys.....priceless.

1 person likes this.
  16. PeterL

PeterL Senior member

I found few more stains along with some minor ones. I have decided to return them and wait for other cordovan colors.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Peter L,

I would send those back if you are not happy with them, but I would also suggest that you should continue to look for color 8 as

1) when done right, it is the best cordovan color
    2) color 8 and black are the most available, so a higher percentage of makeups will be one of those colors going forward

I've observed or bought recent color 8 from Alden NYC, Leffot and Alden of Carmel and have seen no issues with stains

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  18. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

I have a pair of 975s that had a little blotch on the side but it wasn't enough to bother me, the issue I would have the most trouble with is something right on the vamp in plain view for every step I took.

Ultimately if you aren't satisfied the right decision is to send them back. As someone said earlier for a stock model, it should be relatively easy to have them replaced for a pair that will hopefully have less inconsistency in the finish.

I think for the most part they do a good job at the factory although their has been a lot of discussion on quality control lately, I don't have enough long term personal experience to comment on a true change over time.

19. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

Well said...............

20. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

I'll post a pic when I get home later in the week. They're old but not that old! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.