• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Here are a few shots of my travel collection, taken during a business trip. The J. Gilbert boots are new, the others have a few miles on them. By the way, these J. Gilbert boots are my first on the Plaza last, and I really like them. Of course Yenni was great to deal with. Though I had some trepidation due to only having experienced the Trubalance and Barrie lasts before, the Plaza fits fine and looks great. I'm really happy with them.

Clockwise, from eleven o'clock: Alden for Epaulet Officer Indy (brown CXL); J. Gilbert #8 wingtip boot, Plaza last; Alden SF ravello PTB; MOTO Long Chukka (black CXL).

From left: MOTO Long Chukka, black CXL; Alden for Epaulet Officer Indy; J. Gilbert #8 wingtip boot, Plaza last; Alden SF ravello PTB.

Very nice. I particularly like the chukka.

mcbrown

Reaction score

For Indy boot owners: where do your/big toe end in relation to the white stitching on the Indy boot? Mine hit right at the beginning/bottom of the white stitching and I'm worried I should have gone down another size.

Don't judge length by the big toe - judge by the ball of your foot, which should line up with the widest part of the shoe.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In medium colored shoes, matching polish will generally darken the leather, so you use a shade lighter to keep the color the same.

My dark brown shell Marlows are not medium colored. There are variations in shell so certainly yours could be a shade or two lighter than mine. Mine are easily darker than all my Alden cigar models. Thus far I have only used neutral shell cordovan cream from Saphir on my Marlows, but, when I want a bit of color, I plan to use the Saphir dark brown shell cordovan cream.

I have used Saphir's dark brown shell cordovan cream on my cigar LWBs and AE brown shell strands. I anticipated it would darken them slightly (as they are each lighter in color than the cream) - which it did - but, IMO, each model looks better after the application.

DCwaxedLWB

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind replies!

Update: Che from the DC Alden store said she will have the manager, Kathy, call me tomorrow (unless the East Coast is under water) to see if Alden will approve a straight-up exchange/credit. Apparently, the DC Alden store is owned by the company, so there is more flexibility (hopefully).

If not, I'll have to wade into the world of Internet spammers and scammers.

In response to ReppTiePrepster, I also have to give a hat-tip to J Crew for introducing me to Alden. After decades of wearing department store dreck, those waxed longwings I got at the J Crew Liquor store in TriBeCa were a bloody revelation. Oh, so that's the way shoes are supposed to feel and look.

Now I'm hooked. But at least it's not on hookers or booze. I can wear the shoes to work.

terradilavoro

Reaction score
"Papa Doble"
You guys know more than me on this subject, but with this reasoning, wouldn't medium brown, as opposed to light brown, be the correct choice for dark brown shoes? I guess I don't understand why you would go all the way down to light brown for dark brown shoes.

evidence in practice
[ATTACHMENT=4322]Ralph Lauren Marlow C&J 325 006.JPG (2,946k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]
[ATTACHMENT=4321]Ralph Lauren Marlow C&J 325 002.JPG (2,861k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

@ sevenfoldtieguy - are your Marlows darker than mine?

Last edited:

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never seen this style of Alden before. Too bad they're out of my size. Anyone know who else may stock something similar? thanks.
http://www.unionmadegoods.com/Alden_Ralston_George_Boot_in_Tobacco_Reverse_Chamois_6633.html

Orvis did a version of the "George Boot". I looks to be a pull-up leather like CXL. Not sure of your size but anything over a size 10 is in stock (anything smaller will ship in a few weeks).

3C47L1W_lg.jpg

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=3C47

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are a few shots of my travel collection, taken during a business trip. The J. Gilbert boots are new, the others have a few miles on them. By the way, these J. Gilbert boots are my first on the Plaza last, and I really like them. Of course Yenni was great to deal with. Though I had some trepidation due to only having experienced the Trubalance and Barrie lasts before, the Plaza fits fine and looks great. I'm really happy with them.

Clockwise, from eleven o'clock: Alden for Epaulet Officer Indy (brown CXL); J. Gilbert #8 wingtip boot, Plaza last; Alden SF ravello PTB; MOTO Long Chukka (black CXL).

From left: MOTO Long Chukka, black CXL; Alden for Epaulet Officer Indy; J. Gilbert #8 wingtip boot, Plaza last; Alden SF ravello PTB.

Very nice collection! I have no experience with the Plaza last; only with the Modified (my favorite), Barrie and Trubalance. So question --- how did you find the Plaza compared to say, the Barrie? I assume you went a half size larger for the Plaza? How about the width? Also, do you find the volume, particular at the instep to be about the same as the Barrie? I have a high instep/arch and that's one of the reasons I like the Modified. The Barrie last sometimes is a bit snug across my instep. Your input would be helpful.

ubiquiti

Reaction score
I already know that I bought a size too wide (6E; should have gone 6D I think), and there is definitely heel slippage. I'm planning on selling them and buying another pair, but I'm a bit worried that my problem will not be solved by going to a 6D or C. Given that Alden does not make a 5.5, I might just be **** out of luck.
To be fair, I have a pair of Alden #8 LWBs in 6D (Barrie) and they fit pretty snug.
Any insights?
Which Indy did you buy? If it's the 405, I'll take them off your hands.

Also if a 6D Barrie fits you well then a 6D Trubalance should work well for you. I personally wear a 6.5D Barrie and 6.5D Trubalance although my feet could work with a 6E Barrie/Trubalance.

Last edited:

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, Indy boots are over. Unionmade has a new shipment in and they're now nearly 500 bucks. Getting a little ridic.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok, Indy boots are over. Unionmade has a new shipment in and they're now nearly 500 bucks. Getting a little ridic.

They've been $468 for all of 2012 and custom editions at $495 or more. So it's over since you're behind the times?

CTYGGG

Reaction score
6dba0ff72cedd37d3e510d6bc8b785db.jpg

a5b18328f2ec1e572be73d7798285c9b.jpg

0dcb427608c52a3eca02d43034fab32e.jpg

LS #8 Ranger Shoe
83915e36ae6a15f624cf956b352fd408.jpg

3aa09cbde7787ca28581f55cea50bdbf.jpg

Blackbird Chemist Boot
7ec8d8cb7c42c75988e7dffb52b1dad6.jpg

d0a602cc06758c26363e7f6cf569d4ff.jpg

WP Little Tanks
be2758ef142a398116bb5f318b6b6475.jpg

Crepe Sole Family Picture

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I called them to reserve a pair - the phone rep mentioned they reordered the NST boot in April.

The Ravello boot I'm waiting on was ordered in January 2011. If the NST from TSM wasn't ordered until April 2012, it won't be ready by April 2013. These wait times for some of the rarer shells are getting pretty crazy.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They've been $468 for all of 2012 and custom editions at $495 or more. So it's over since you're behind the times?

I got my 403s at the end of 2011 and I think they were only $435. If that exact same model is now almost $500, that's a pretty significant increase for a time period of less than a year.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got my 403s at the end of 2011 and I think they were only $435. If that exact same model is now almost $500, that's a pretty significant increase for a time period of less than a year.

Yeah prices went up right at start of 2012 I believe. I got both my 403s and 404s for under retail but had to pounce on them the moment I saw them. Given lwbs are up to $715+ it's expected given the demand

kram6136

Reaction score
So question --- how did you find the Plaza compared to say, the Barrie? I assume you went a half size larger for the Plaza? How about the width? Also, do you find the volume, particular at the instep to be about the same as the Barrie? I have a high instep/arch and that's one of the reasons I like the Modified. The Barrie last sometimes is a bit snug across my instep. Your input would be helpful.

I had been wearing a 8.5D in both Trubalance and Barrie, though I probably could wear an 8. When I bought the Plaza boots, I decided to give the 8.5D a try, and it fits pretty well. I think if I bought another Barrie shoe, I'd probably try an 8D, or maybe an 8.5C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads