***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Very nice. I particularly like the chukka.

2. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Don't judge length by the big toe - judge by the ball of your foot, which should line up with the widest part of the shoe.

3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

My dark brown shell Marlows are not medium colored. There are variations in shell so certainly yours could be a shade or two lighter than mine. Mine are easily darker than all my Alden cigar models. Thus far I have only used neutral shell cordovan cream from Saphir on my Marlows, but, when I want a bit of color, I plan to use the Saphir dark brown shell cordovan cream.

I have used Saphir's dark brown shell cordovan cream on my cigar LWBs and AE brown shell strands. I anticipated it would darken them slightly (as they are each lighter in color than the cream) - which it did - but, IMO, each model looks better after the application.

4. DCwaxedLWB

DCwaxedLWB Member

Thanks for the kind replies!

Update: Che from the DC Alden store said she will have the manager, Kathy, call me tomorrow (unless the East Coast is under water) to see if Alden will approve a straight-up exchange/credit. Apparently, the DC Alden store is owned by the company, so there is more flexibility (hopefully).

If not, I'll have to wade into the world of Internet spammers and scammers.

In response to ReppTiePrepster, I also have to give a hat-tip to J Crew for introducing me to Alden. After decades of wearing department store dreck, those waxed longwings I got at the J Crew Liquor store in TriBeCa were a bloody revelation. Oh, so that's the way shoes are supposed to feel and look.

Now I'm hooked. But at least it's not on hookers or booze. I can wear the shoes to work.

5. terradilavoro

terradilavoro Senior member

"Papa Doble"
    You guys know more than me on this subject, but with this reasoning, wouldn't medium brown, as opposed to light brown, be the correct choice for dark brown shoes? I guess I don't understand why you would go all the way down to light brown for dark brown shoes.

evidence in practice
    [ATTACHMENT=4322]Ralph Lauren Marlow C&J 325 006.JPG (2,946k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]
    [ATTACHMENT=4321]Ralph Lauren Marlow C&J 325 002.JPG (2,861k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

@ sevenfoldtieguy - are your Marlows darker than mine?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

6. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Orvis did a version of the "George Boot". I looks to be a pull-up leather like CXL. Not sure of your size but anything over a size 10 is in stock (anything smaller will ship in a few weeks).

[​IMG]

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=3C47

7. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

8. ubiquiti

ubiquiti Well-Known Member

Which Indy did you buy? If it's the 405, I'll take them off your hands.

Also if a 6D Barrie fits you well then a 6D Trubalance should work well for you. I personally wear a 6.5D Barrie and 6.5D Trubalance although my feet could work with a 6E Barrie/Trubalance.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

9. stevent

stevent Senior member

They've been $468 for all of 2012 and custom editions at $495 or more. So it's over since you're behind the times?

10. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    LS #8 Ranger Shoe
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Blackbird Chemist Boot
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    WP Little Tanks
    [​IMG]
    Crepe Sole Family Picture

11. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

The Ravello boot I'm waiting on was ordered in January 2011. If the NST from TSM wasn't ordered until April 2012, it won't be ready by April 2013. These wait times for some of the rarer shells are getting pretty crazy.

12. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I got my 403s at the end of 2011 and I think they were only $435. If that exact same model is now almost $500, that's a pretty significant increase for a time period of less than a year.

13. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yeah prices went up right at start of 2012 I believe. I got both my 403s and 404s for under retail but had to pounce on them the moment I saw them. Given lwbs are up to $715+ it's expected given the demand

14. kram6136

kram6136 Well-Known Member

I had been wearing a 8.5D in both Trubalance and Barrie, though I probably could wear an 8. When I bought the Plaza boots, I decided to give the 8.5D a try, and it fits pretty well. I think if I bought another Barrie shoe, I'd probably try an 8D, or maybe an 8.5C.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.