***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

You guys know more than me on this subject, but with this reasoning, wouldn't medium brown, as opposed to light brown, be the correct choice for dark brown shoes? I guess I don't understand why you would go all the way down to light brown for dark brown shoes.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

2. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Color 8 LWB should absolutely be your next purchase, IMHO! It's funny how similar your collection is to mine. Without J Crew I'm not sure I would have discovered Alden. The following is the order of my purchases.

Florsheim Pebble Grain LWB (crap), Cole Haan Jayhawk - brown pebble grain (even crappier), J Crew Tobacco LWB, J Crew Dark Brown LWB, Black Shell LWB, Cigar LWB, Color 8 LWB, Ravello LWB, and Color 8 PTB.

Wish I had never spent the $ on the Florsheim and Cole Haan LWBs. They look pretty good but are terribly uncomfortable and won't last very long if worn regularly. The $400 could have gone to my next shell purchase! I suppose I've learned a valuable lesson.

3. calidist

calidist Senior member

Color 8 LWB for sure, its the cornerstone of any Alden collection.

4. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Senior member

For Indy boot owners: where do your/big toe end in relation to the white stitching on the Indy boot? Mine hit right at the beginning/bottom of the white stitching and I'm worried I should have gone down another size.

5. stant62

stant62 Senior member

This is the Aberdeen last model - shows as out of stock online and I confirmed over the phone (in 9.5D).

6. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    #8 lhs
    argyles otc
    [​IMG]

7. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Mine hits just past the stitching and I consider them a perfect fit. How's the width and is there any heel slip?

8. stevent

stevent Senior member

I go to where my pinky toe is super tight and if the ball of my foot is at the widest point of the shoe

9. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Senior member

I already know that I bought a size too wide (6E; should have gone 6D I think), and there is definitely heel slippage. I'm planning on selling them and buying another pair, but I'm a bit worried that my problem will not be solved by going to a 6D or C. Given that Alden does not make a 5.5, I might just be shit out of luck.

To be fair, I have a pair of Alden #8 LWBs in 6D (Barrie) and they fit pretty snug.

Any insights?

10. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

Ah OK. they have four in my size... kind of on the fence. The price is about $80 higher than when they first were on the site.

Does anyone know when the next 10% alden sale is at the Shoe Mart?

11. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I would suggest a 6D. The toe is not so much the issue, but the heel slippage. Most people wear the same in Barrie and Trubalance.

12. Burton

Burton Senior member

Funny - I called The Shoe Mart about that exact shoe on Monday of last week. The sales girl said it was out of stock and they had no intention of reordering. I purchased the Ravello NST oxford instead. I recieved that but it was fit like it was a 9.5 E instead of a D so I sent it back. I love the Alden NST but Alden can be a truly frustrating company. I really was set on some Ravellow shell in that style. I will call again about the boot.

13. kram6136

kram6136 Well-Known Member

Here are a few shots of my travel collection, taken during a business trip. The J. Gilbert boots are new, the others have a few miles on them. By the way, these J. Gilbert boots are my first on the Plaza last, and I really like them. Of course Yenni was great to deal with. Though I had some trepidation due to only having experienced the Trubalance and Barrie lasts before, the Plaza fits fine and looks great. I'm really happy with them.

Clockwise, from eleven o'clock: Alden for Epaulet Officer Indy (brown CXL); J. Gilbert #8 wingtip boot, Plaza last; Alden SF ravello PTB; MOTO Long Chukka (black CXL).

[​IMG]

From left: MOTO Long Chukka, black CXL; Alden for Epaulet Officer Indy; J. Gilbert #8 wingtip boot, Plaza last; Alden SF ravello PTB.

[​IMG]

14. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

15. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Wow I'm very impressed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.