• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These would get my vote.

That's a nice crepe shoe but where can you get that one?

Morgan

Reaction score

have you ever seen the results of a B.Nelson resole w/ crepe?

No, but I have inquired about it. I should ask for photos. Crepe sole always looks bad though.

hkpm

Reaction score
FYI, Tassels HK is hosting an Alden trunk show this weekend and is apparently launching two "rare cordovan" models. Knowing Tassels these will likely be sold out to local customers long before they are available internationally, but guys may want to get in touch with Wallace or check the online site over the next few days.

They started selling whiskey LWB and cigar NST shoes at 10:30am today,
when I arrived at around 12noon, all whiskey LWB are nearly gone and the NST shoes still got a few left, luckily I could still grab a pair of LWB...this is crazy.....

jacksh

Reaction score

They were a Leffot makeup,
http://leffot.com/2011/09/29/alden-x-leffot-day-tripper-boot/

As a side note there is also a Ravello cap toe makeup by Tassels HK, but it is on the barrie and has a closed heel.

On the other hand, I have narrowed my next Alden purchase down to two and I want your guys' opinion.

It's either:

Ravello LWB with crepe sole

Cigar Cap Toe Boot with Commando sole,

I'm currently leaning towards the cigar cap toe boot.

Cigar Cap Toe Boot.
In my opinion crepe sole would best suit suede or calf, not shell.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I couldn't agree more... while I like the double leather sole best, the commando soles go well with boots (even shell).  Not sure I would buy anything shell with crepe soles even with a big-time discount.

Has anyone come across a make up that pairs well with the crepe sole??

I'd go with the longwings just because I've never been big on cap toes. I know the crepe sole doesn't get much love on here but I've got three different pair of Aldens on the crepe sole and find them incredibly comfortable, especially on days where I am on my feet a lot.

Yeah, I recently contacted Unionmade to ask when they were going to restock the Beale cigar PTB on crepe, and they said they had no plans to do so. I've got a couple Aldens on crepe (suede chukkas and roughout boots, similar to the "Roy") and I love wearing them. I'm seriously considering buying a pair of Polo Marlow PTBs and having them resoled with crepe at B.Nelson.

Man all this crepe talk has me itching to buy a pair. Might just pull the trigger tomorrow...

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe he is a poster here.
it's incredibly low class he not only takes other peoples pictures without crediting them, but then watermarks them as his own. such a dirt bag move
for those reading, I'm 95% sure that is a picture from zippy, and the size chart from reguy

He's done it before quite a few times, I would report him but I can't as they are not my intellectual property.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my AF60s today, not the exact boot I wanted but close enough (speedhooks vs all eyelets) and they are quite nice. First pair on the recessed commando and it feels pretty good.

Didn't get home till late so it's gonna have to be an instagram pic:

tumblr_mchkkyjzo91qb0bszo1_500.jpg

100 yrs

Reaction score
might be old news, but this site lists a #8 lwb on the grant last, which you don't see very often (at least that i'm aware of).

http://www.dann-online.com/clothing/aldenshoes/shoes page10.htm

no idea about this shop - the website is marginally worse than the alden one, which is quite a feat. it looks like an old link that hasn't been updated because there's some crazy talk about "custom" orders taking 6-10 weeks, but the prices are in line with current. thought i'd toss it out there in case anyone wants to give it a shot.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Ooh... hard to buy that, but I suppose it depends on what you're choosing to wear with it. Denim I can certainly see, but I generally wear my color 8 LWB with business casual, not-so-formal suits, grey-wool slacks, chinos, etc... Color 8 LWB is significantly more versatile, IMHO.

brostymie

Reaction score

They were a Leffot makeup,
http://leffot.com/2011/09/29/alden-x-leffot-day-tripper-boot/

As a side note there is also a Ravello cap toe makeup by Tassels HK, but it is on the barrie and has a closed heel.

On the other hand, I have narrowed my next Alden purchase down to two and I want your guys' opinion.

It's either:

Ravello LWB with crepe sole

Cigar Cap Toe Boot with Commando sole,

I'm currently leaning towards the cigar cap toe boot.

Is leffot taking order for those captoe?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still very much in the honeymoon phase, I've worn these 3 times in the last week. I received several comments & questions about their make and the shine and even received a nod from the shine guy at the airport. They looked fairly drab out of the box but I took a brush to them for 15-20 minutes and they were transformed.

I thought about applying a coat of reno but I just don't think they need it. One thing that I've found is that they are not dry at all nor have they exhibited any blooming. Compared to my other shell shoes, both AE they just look tremendous.

My AE Leeds and Macneil in burgundy shell look great after an application of Reno but appear visibly dry after just a day or two. A quick brushing brings them back but I'm happy that the Alden boots don't exhibit the same characteristics.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

might be old news, but this site lists a #8 lwb on the grant last, which you don't see very often (at least that i'm aware of).
http://www.dann-online.com/clothing/aldenshoes/shoes page10.htm
no idea about this shop - the website is marginally worse than the alden one, which is quite a feat. it looks like an old link that hasn't been updated because there's some crazy talk about "custom" orders taking 6-10 weeks, but the prices are in line with current. thought i'd toss it out there in case anyone wants to give it a shot.

That is incorrect information (but I wish it was correct). Indeed, if you scroll down they correct themselves by stating the LWB is on the Barrie last. That website is a complete mess.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ooh...  hard to buy that, but I suppose it depends on what you're choosing to wear with it. Denim I can certainly see, but I generally wear my color 8 LWB with business casual, not-so-formal suits, grey-wool slacks, chinos, etc...  Color 8 LWB is significantly more versatile, IMHO.

And this is the issue for me with respect to crepe. A crepe soled shoe - IMO - is completely disqualified from anything but the most casual settings. But I have no doubt that it is comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads