1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Distinguished Member

2. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Distinguished Member

I'd go with the longwings just because I've never been big on cap toes. I know the crepe sole doesn't get much love on here but I've got three different pair of Aldens on the crepe sole and find them incredibly comfortable, especially on days where I am on my feet a lot.

3. ReppTiePrepster

Which ones do you have with crepe soles?

4. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Distinguished Member

Yes - my cigar PTB crepe is probably my second most worn Alden. Cigar seems to go well with a lot of different soles. In non cordovan models, alpine grain looks good on crepe.

Also, with regards to the captoes, Alden DC stocks cigar captoe boots on the commando sole, call them to see if they have your size, if not, you can probably get on their list.

5. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Distinguished Member

All Weather Walker and kudu LWB. I was thinking my alpine leather LWB was crepe but it's on the red brick which is just as comfortable.

6. Alcibiades

7. ReppTiePrepster

8. Alcibiades

There is something to be said for throwing on some denim with these shoes in crepe and being able to walk in a variety of conditions all day while having better footwear than basically 100% of your peers... I don't think these shoes should be the first in an Alden collection but can play a great part

9. Morgan

Morgan Senior Member

Yeah, I recently contacted Unionmade to ask when they were going to restock the Beale cigar PTB on crepe, and they said they had no plans to do so. I've got a couple Aldens on crepe (suede chukkas and roughout boots, similar to the "Roy") and I love wearing them. I'm seriously considering buying a pair of Polo Marlow PTBs and having them resoled with crepe at B.Nelson.

10. Spencer

Spencer Distinguished Member

Just pre-ordered my first pair of LWB's. To date have 4 pair of Aldens, all boots.

Alden x Leffot Longwing, Natural Chromexcel
    [​IMG]

Digging their versatility, I'll probably wear these more casually than dress.

11. Dbear

Dbear Distinguished Member

12. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior Member

I own the ravello LWBs on crepe. As Alcibiades said, they're not a good first Alden, but they can be a nice addition. You can quibble with the aesthetics, but not with the comfort. I generally reach for either of my crepe-soled pairs first for weekend walks in the city.

Having said that I'd go for the cigar boots first if I were you.

13. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Distinguished Member

Yep. I once had a pair of Grenson chukkas in a crepe sole, they were the most comfortable shoes Ive ever owned - largely b/c of that crepe sole I think. it gets a lot of hate but comfort is a great thing. it's a great part of a mix.

have you ever seen the results of a B.Nelson resole w/ crepe?

14. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior Member

These would get my vote.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. thebrownman

thebrownman Distinguished Member

Thanks man! Me too. I'm in Australia and there's nowhere to buy Alden except for online. This isn't a problem, save for the issue of sizing. I only know my size on the Barrie last with certainty. With the others, it's a bit of hit and miss.

Guys, as you know - I'm looking to offload a pair of Pitt Boots, size 9.5D - what would you consider a fair price including shipping from Australia to CONUS? Happy to take all reasonable offers :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.