• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chantheman

Reaction score

You are correct that they should arrive some time in July. With Alden, delivery times are not an exact science, but that's the information we're receiving from their factory.
Thank you!

please tell me this includes the remaining sizes of the wingtip boot. sadly a 9D was not in the first batch that came in a couple months back

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Anyone have any thoughts on the Alden Milkshake Indy boot?  Thinking of getting a pair, but worried about keeping the suede clean, seems like I'd be walking on eggshells all day in these things...anyone have a pair or have an opinion?  I could probably get lots of wear out of them since I live in Los Angeles.  Thanks :)

Part of the beauty of these, in my mind, is beating them up and getting them scuffed a bit. I have a couple of white suede shoes, the ones that look the best are the ones that got the hell beat out of them...though for some reason i bust my butt to keep the pristine ones pristine. I think once you get that first big *ding* you let em go, and you'll be happy.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. Case in point, tan suede LWB with plantation crepe sole = yummy.

We should put this on the MTO thread . . .

Anyone have any thoughts on the Alden Milkshake Indy boot? Thinking of getting a pair, but worried about keeping the suede clean, seems like I'd be walking on eggshells all day in these things...anyone have a pair or have an opinion? I could probably get lots of wear out of them since I live in Los Angeles. Thanks :)

No regrets here. You'll be fine if you keep up on the brushing.

CTYGGG

Reaction score

really?! I didn't realize that Moulded Shoe carries the actual Alden Commando sole - actually, I would prefer that to the full Commando sole (more aesthetically pleasing) - the boots came in (they  are perfect), I'll give Moulded Shoe a call in the a.m. - thanks for the heads up!
:)

Moulded Shoe has a tumblr blog, here ya go…

http://mouldedshoe.tumblr.com/

A few examples of the commando sole…

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m02cquMn9a1r3x0lmo1_1280.jpg
That's a conversion from double leather to a commando on a cigar PTB.

Another example of a conversion…
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3x0v8rl4P1r3x0lmo1_1280.jpg

Hope this helps.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Almost wore mine too today, sir. Instead: Whiskey PTB >
7375822718_533edd25fb_n.jpg
nephew, good shine on your whiskey

kaws N effect

Reaction score
Looking to purchase my first Aldens, preferably lace up causal/dress shoes. Anyone can link me a site that sells them? Any discount codes? What would you say a good quality one priced at? 300? 400?

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We should put this on the MTO thread . . .

No regrets here. You'll be fine if you keep up on the brushing.

Part of the beauty of these, in my mind, is beating them up and getting them scuffed a bit. I have a couple of white suede shoes, the ones that look the best are the ones that got the hell beat out of them...though for some reason i bust my butt to keep the pristine ones pristine. I think once you get that first big *ding* you let em go, and you'll be happy.

Great advice guys....Epaulet had some stock in my size only (9.5D) so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I think that's 10 pairs of Aldens in 2 months since I started the habit, no joke. I need to take a break, as I still have 3-4 pairs of shoes that I have yet to wear. Maiden voyage shots and gratuitous family picture to come very soon :)

Loving this thread btw, it's a great respite from Facebook....plus, my FB friends would rapidly unsubscribe if I started posting Alden pics.

pistolero

Reaction score

Looking to purchase my first Aldens, preferably lace up causal/dress shoes. Anyone can link me a site that sells them? Any discount codes? What would you say a good quality one priced at? 300? 400?

Google is your friend. Retail will be 400-500 for calf, 600-725+ for shell cordovan. Aldens are very seldom discounted, but it does happen from time to time (best to watch this thread). Also, The Shoe Mart (Alden retailer) sell seconds at a discount.

Edgein

Reaction score
K N E, As you might have learned from following this thread, Aldens are a relatively healthy addiction, if there is such a thing. Your price range puts you out of new shell and into gently used territory. From my albeit brief experience, you may find some really nice shoes if you are patient and not looking for the rare colors of shell. The first thing I would recommend would be to determine your size in the various lasts available, certainly the more common of course. Hopefully there is an shop carrying Alden in your area which makes that process easier. You may want to purchase your first pair from them as well. After sizing, you may find a store that is leaving Alden, such as Tom Austin in New York, where they have Aldens at or near 50% off. This is unusual, but not uncommon. My 2¢. Good hunting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads