• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

What's the difference between the Waterloc sole and the Cork Neoprene Sole? Are they different names for the same thing? In pictures the waterloc sole looks a little darker but it could just be the picture. I need a sole for wet weather.

Waterloc sole is oiled leather treated to be water resistant.
Neoprene is neoprene.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ravello LWBs just as the sun is peeking over the horizon:
c6e4c99e-15c3-867b.jpg

A+ all the way around. Total win and great look. :slayer:

555quq.jpg

ravello lwb
argyles otc
2wfn0wi.jpg

Looking great!

Anyone familiar with the chamois leather? How does it compare with Kudu, or more specifically, is it nearly as water resistant as Kudu?

I do not have the Kudu but I have a pair of Indy shoes in reverse chamois and it is my new fave rain shoe. It is very water friendly. It is basically a big hairy/suede like ball of oil with some leather thrown in. It is great rain or shine. I am not sure how it would look in a wing tip but I like those Kudu LW's and would love a pair.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's the difference between the Waterloc sole and the Cork Neoprene Sole? Are they different names for the same thing? In pictures the waterloc sole looks a little darker but it could just be the picture. I need a sole for wet weather.

Double waterloc is a double leather sole that has been soaked in oil (think of waxed cotton-like water repellence); cork neoprene is a mixture of cork and neoprene. It is an extremely long-wearing sole, used on the original Indy (which was a true work boot). Many quality work boot manufacturers use it: Red Wing, Thorogood, etc.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have not had the pleasure of owning a chamois make-up but they look killer. This is anter nice option if you are not set on the LWB (from www.unionmadegoods.com)
Bryant_Derosa_Wingtip_in_Smooth_Tobacco_Chamois_1.jpg
I love that makeup. The exposed eyelets set it off.
Almost wore mine too today, sir. Instead: Whiskey PTB >
7375822718_533edd25fb_n.jpg
I wore my Whiskey PTB's yesterday as well. I put a pretty big scratch on the toe of one of the shoes the other day and used some downtime at work to bone them, I boned them real good! Great shine and the laces are great. I will try to get a pair. :fonz:
Please excuse the terrible photography, lol.
Great boots!
ravello nst shoe aberdeen
Nice looking shoe. I like how each of the 11 pictures is slightly different.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if this has been posted and I apologize if it has. This video has nothing to do with Alden but I thought it may be of interest to the brotherhood.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My father once ordered a steak, and the waiter came back with a strip of beef rolled with pesto sauce and cheese as if it were a cinnamon roll.  Upon seeing this, my father remarked, "You somehow found a way to ruin a perfectly good piece of meat."  This shoe reminds me of that.  To each his own, but I wouldn't mix two wonderful shell colors in such a haphazard fashion.

Great story - cinnamon roll ..... I laughed out loud. The presentation of that ridiculous entree must have been a sight to behold. Certainly dad's first reaction - even if only in his head - was "WTF?" As for the shoes in question, the coupling of the shells on the loafer is mostly benign; on the blucher, I personally find the the color contrast a bit too loud. However, beauty's in the eye of the beholder ....

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I am not sure if this has been posted and I apologize if it has. This video has nothing to do with Alden but I thought it may be of interest to the brotherhood.

I liked the big vat marked "butt liquor" and the thwap sounds the scrap pieces made when they tossed them in the bin.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sure it is Not an issue but has anyone flown International and had issues with the metal shank with security? Haven't actually worn Alden while flying overseas.

Last edited:

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nope, flown with aldens all the time. it is a non issue. The shoes pass through the conveyer belt scan system safely 100%

I am sure it is. It an issue but has anyone flown International and had issues with the metal shank with security? Haven't actually worn Alden while flying overseas.

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be more interested if the steel shank will set off the metal detectors say in the Precheck line.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd be more interested if the steel shank will set off the metal detectors say in the Precheck line.

Airport security is weird. Last thing I need is some guard thinking the shank is some metal knife embedded in my shoe and pry the sole apart.

I remember coming back from a conference is Mexico and while in Mexico City (before returning to US soil), security held me up, took a small canister, pulled out a damp looking piece of cloth, wiped my shoes with the cloth, then placed it back in the canister before telling me to leave. I still don't know what it was for. I doubt it was complementary Reno treatment...

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wore my Whiskey PTB's yesterday as well. I put a pretty big scratch on the toe of one of the shoes the other day and used some downtime at work to bone them, I boned them real good!
Great shine and the laces are great. I will try to get a pair. :fonz:

Thanks and sorry to hear about the scratch on your PTB. I like the look of lighter laces on whiskey and it's a nice subtle change.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am sure it is Not an issue but has anyone flown International and had issues with the metal shank with security? Haven't actually worn Alden while flying overseas.

nope, flown with aldens all the time. it is a non issue. The shoes pass through the conveyer belt scan system safely 100%

Yeah not an issue for me. Went through a small Spanish airport as well with shoes on though and they did set off the machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads