• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will disagree here. First, the shoes are the same price at retail, the exception being for special makeups that would put a premium in the price (a la ultimate indy).
That said, I love my 405s. The leather feels much softer and thicker to me in my hand than chromexcel. Both are great leathers, and you should only decide based on which boot you like better. Chromexcel is a pull-up leather that will accentuate the aging process and wrinkling; while the 405 will obviously wrinkle, it won't be emphasized as much. Also, chromexcel color may initially transfer when it gets wet, so that can ruin some pants.

Clarification: Brown Chromexcel is indeed the same price as the brown cowhide. Natural Chromexcel generally seems to be ~$40 higher. A worthwhile upcharge, in my opinion.

dm2703

Reaction score
The cut in the welting doesn't look bad at all. But i have to admit the indy certainly looked as if the shoe had been in some sort of packaging accident. you guys are reminding me about why one should never buy expensive things, such as shoes, on the internet. I'm quite glad there are 9+ places in NYC that sell alden shoes.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I saw these in person at the new Allen Edmonds store in the Embarcadero center. They look pretty nice but feel much lighter than the Alden WT boot. It looked like part of the reason was that they are not lined with leather on the inside. The last also looked much narrower than the Barrie so perhaps that will appeal to some of the more feminine members of this forum :nest:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF0131_1_40000000001_-1

I looked at them today myself in person. You're right, they do feel quite light, a bit too light for boots, IMO and definitely a lot lighter than Alden boots. They seemed almost toy like or something.

I have no problem with they way they look though, the color is almost like whiskey, a little darker.

BTW, these boots are on the same last as the AE Leeds PTB which I have in Black shell and really like a lot. For PTBs, I even like the Leeds more than Alden PTBs. Somehow the AE's seem less bulky and more sleek which works well for a PTB.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The leather feels much softer and thicker to me in my hand than chromexcel. Both are great leathers, and you should only decide based on which boot you like better. Chromexcel is a pull-up leather that will accentuate the aging process and wrinkling; while the 405 will obviously wrinkle, it won't be emphasized as much. Also, chromexcel color may initially transfer when it gets wet, so that can ruin some pants.

Thanks to both applky and marg for the help.

Further noob question:

What does "pull-up" leather refer to? Been on the board forever for denim, only recently for shoes. I would assume it's thinner, at least?

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks to both applky and marg for the help.
Further noob question:
What does "pull-up" leather refer to? Been on the board forever for denim, only recently for shoes. I would assume it's thinner, at least?

Pull up leather primer:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pull up leather primer:

That is freaking amazing. You don't realize there's so much you don't know about until exposed to stuff like this. Thanks for the post.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is freaking amazing. You don't realize there's so much you don't know about until exposed to stuff like this. Thanks for the post.

Pull-up leather rocks. Shell Cordovan rocks. I sorta feel like I don't want normal leather ever again. In fact, I cannot look at a pair of normal leather shoes with the same respect any more.

fitchottie

Reaction score
Not my thing the whole tassel, also the right shoe stitching looks uneven on the top...

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Reaction score
got Saphir Cordovan and tried this morning

i've never tried Rénovateur, can anyone compare between Rénovateur & Cordovan?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads