***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. applky

applky Senior member

^ Indeed. I recently received this shoe in the mail:

[​IMG]

2. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

I think everyone here would have told you to do what you have already done. Water or reno and brush like hell. But if thery are still different, you may be out of luck. One of the drawbacks of an organic/natural material is that there will be differances in grain and texture. Or Horween may have not been consistant when polishing that specific codovan butt. :confused:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

3. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

:eh:...you mean, thats now they are supposed to look?...lol

4. NotClever

NotClever Senior member

What I may have forgotten to mention is that they started out being equally shiny. It wasn't until my first brushing that the right shoe got dull. I also received them used, so there's the variable of how the previous owner took care of them (though they appear to be in excellent condition).

Thanks, though!

5. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

green cords! met you at starbucks

6. sean2slow

sean2slow Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I just have a quick question.
    Today, my stupid assistant spilled bleach on the floor and got some droplets on my color 8 cordovan boots that I was wearing.
    I quickly wiped it down with wet paper towel but I can still see some droplet marks on the boots.
    Is the bleach going to cause a permanent damage to the boots (probably will, :(), and is there any way to minimize the damage?
    Thank you in advance for your input
    I'm feeling really shitty now :(

7. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    ravello medallion cap toe
    argyles otc

8. uninkco

uninkco Senior member

If you are not swimming in your Indys, a 9 in Grant should be perfect. I wear 10s on the Barrie and received my Cigar Captoes last week from Kathy at Alden DC and they fit perfectly with fairly thing regular socks. I'm not a fan of thick socks so this was the right size for me...

9. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

Did you order the Cigar Captoe boot in 10 or 10.5?

10. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

I have a couple minutes to kill so I thought I would post, the five out seven defective shoes I have recieved from jcrew in the past two days.... Just issue and thing I would't think would ever leave the Alden factory.....

These are the indy 405, from jcrew... not really an issue other than they were a store return, They had been worn and there are black marks along the welt.... So this is shame on Jcrew.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The others are count them yes count them (2) pairs each of the long wings.... Brown and Black both with defects or issue that i believe should not be present on 500.00 shoes...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

[​IMG]

12. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Wow, and J crew sold these to you as "new" shoes.

That's fucked up.

13. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

It does suck to see so many issues with Aldens. Most are small and can be lived with in the end, but with wait times now pushing close to 1 1/2 years for delivery, then you would think they would give better results. I am still waiting for the pair that comes to me without issues, I just do not think that day will come.

14. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

But Jcrew just keeps sending them to me free of charge (this makes number 3.... I paid for the first set of each color and they keep sending more........ Because they think that is customer statisfaction... I must say I am dealing with one women who is awesome in the customer service aspect. I also know she is not the reason the shoes are coming to me like this..All I want is a brand new pair that is unworn and without defects @ almost 500.00 a shot that is what I expect....

15. slide13

slide13 Senior member

Those welts look fine to me, that is just how Alden finishes them in my experience. Also, what are you trying to show from those interior shots....the little bit of staining on the footbed or am I missing something else? If its that it is also normal and not a defect at all I don't think. Overall, if those are the only "issues" I'd say those were great examples from Alden and probably the beset you'll ever see. If you expect better than that look elsewhere because you will not find it from Alden.

That tear in the heel cup of the one is terrible though, how could that get out of the factory??? The marking on the Indys is a J Crew thing, not an Alden thing but still bad of J Crew.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.