• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtc2000

Reaction score
I think the "cut in the welt" is not really a defect. For 360 degree welted shoes, there is always a cut. The cuts may not be very clean on some Aldens as in more expensive English shoes, but I don't think they should be considered as defects.

fitchottie

Reaction score

Those welts look fine to me, that is just how Alden finishes them in my experience. Also, what are you trying to show from those interior shots....the little bit of staining on the footbed or am I missing something else? If its that it is also normal and not a defect at all I don't think. Overall, if those are the only "issues" I'd say those were great examples from Alden and probably the beset you'll ever see. If you expect better than that look elsewhere because you will not find it from Alden.
That tear in the heel cup of the one is terrible though, how could that get out of the factory??? The marking on the Indys is a J Crew thing, not an Alden thing but still bad of J Crew.

I have never seen the staining, in any of them and I own 5 pairs already, also the stain on the welt of the indy is simply not right. The stiching I could possibe live with but then there are the markings in the toe, which shouldn't be there, now that i belive is jcrew because those did not come in shoe bags... all of the ones i have shown, are coming in Jcrew boxes not aldens, missing shoebag and are not covered in plastic.... so I think it is both there faults... And the mother of it all is I am pretty well know by now at Jcrew, and I request a quality check on any pair of shoes that is shipped out... Just so i don't have to deal with this ****.

fitchottie

Reaction score

I think the "cut in the welt" is not really a defect. For 360 degree welted shoes, there is always a cut. The cuts may not be very clean on some Aldens as in more expensive English shoes, but I don't think they should be considered as defects.

I would agree, it just so happens that while the welt is a little off there are other issues like a defect with the lining coming away or slices in the toe down to bare leather...... I wish it was just the welt.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those welts look fine to me, that is just how Alden finishes them in my experience. Also, what are you trying to show from those interior shots....the little bit of staining on the footbed or am I missing something else? If its that it is also normal and not a defect at all I don't think. Overall, if those are the only "issues" I'd say those were great examples from Alden and probably the beset you'll ever see. If you expect better than that look elsewhere because you will not find it from Alden.
That tear in the heel cup of the one is terrible though, how could that get out of the factory??? The marking on the Indys is a J Crew thing, not an Alden thing but still bad of J Crew.

Ya i'd agree with you...if that the worst of it, you made out alright. However the heel cup is totally a defect that should have been caught during QC inspection.

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Keith your posts are like bastions of sanity in a sea of insanity. Glad you're back.

Last edited:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noob question.

What are the differences between the Indy 403 and the 405? Just looking on Shoemart as an alternative to ordering the JCrew collab after seeing all those photos of qc issues.

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ The 403 is the Indy boot in Brown Chromexcel. The 405 is the Indy boot in waxed brown cowhide. The latter leather is not nearly as nice as the former, but it is cheaper. In general, I'd say go with Chromexcel at all times. It's an excellent leather.

I woud hazard to guess that any J Crew Alden make up is going to have more QC problems owing to Alden's rushing their J Crew orders out the door rapidly. All QC issues I've had with Aldens have been minor in comparison to what members have been posting here.

Last edited:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ The 403 is the Indy boot in Brown Chromexcel. The 405 is the Indy boot in waxed brown cowhide. The latter leather is not nearly as nice as the former, but it is cheaper. In general, I'd say go with Chromexcel at all times. It's an excellent leather.

I woud hazard to guess that any J Crew Alden make up is going to have more QC problems owing to Alden's rushing their J Crew orders out the door rapidly. All QC issues I've had with Aldens have been minor in comparison to what members have been posting here.

Thanks for the clarification - now that I've scanned a few more, the Chromexcel Indy in Natural looks closer to what I'd been wanting originally from a boot.

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification - now that I've scanned a few more, the Chromexcel Indy in Natural looks closer to what I'd been wanting originally from a boot.

That is an excellent shoe. Shoemart and Leffot are stockists of that style. Epaulet has a Natural Chromexcel tanker, which is slightly different, but overall preferable in my opinion.

Last edited:

marg

Reaction score

I will disagree here. First, the shoes are the same price at retail, the exception being for special makeups that would put a premium in the price (a la ultimate indy).

That said, I love my 405s. The leather feels much softer and thicker to me in my hand than chromexcel. Both are great leathers, and you should only decide based on which boot you like better. Chromexcel is a pull-up leather that will accentuate the aging process and wrinkling; while the 405 will obviously wrinkle, it won't be emphasized as much. Also, chromexcel color may initially transfer when it gets wet, so that can ruin some pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics