***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

They are on the Grant last.

2. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Grant

3. izach

izach Well-Known Member

Great choice. T
    You'll love them.
    Ike:foo:

4. number9dream

number9dream Senior member

This discussion reminds me of the guy who took his shell cordovan Wolverine 1000 mile boots on a rainy hunting trip. He did a little extra waterproofing, but the shell cordovan held up very well. Read the thread here.

5. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Thanksfellas!

6. JPFNY5

JPFNY5 Senior member

Does anyone have an Indy or workboot on the crepe sole? If so, whats the opinion as compared to the commando or dress sole? Thanks for the opinions

7. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I have a crepe soled shoe. I'm not a fan. I can't tell you how much I dislike it. The leather toe tip got destroyed from using them in the rain (all weather yeah right!) 3 times. Also, for some reason the crepe sole became rock hard after a year. Besides that, the sole looked rather ugly even from the first day. Commando soles are more practical, you can actually use them in the rain, and are much less visible.

8. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

Use the boots as boots and take them hiking. Baby them afterwards with some Renovateur and the spoon trick for deeper scuffs and scratches. Then use paste wax for touch up. Dont treat them like ballet slippers--they're boots.

9. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

lol ill show before and after pics then

10. lesamourai

lesamourai Senior member

I'm sure this thread has been beating to death with sizing advice, so sorry to contribute to that. Anyways, a friend is going to NY next weekend and I was thinking of asking her to stop by the Alden store and see if they have the cap toe boots in my size. Problem is, not having owned any Aldens before, I'm not sure what that is and can only provide other brands to go off of. I wear an 8 in Clark's DB, 7.5 in Red Wing Iron Rangers, and a 9 in Vans (if that actually helps lol). Any advice would be much appreciated.

11. wj4

wj4 Senior member

You didn't even mention the last(s).

12. Calikid

Calikid Senior member

Go for the whiskey Indy.... I did and they arrived yesterday and they are awesome!

13. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

Regarding hiking with the shell Indy boots... The only reason I would say not to take them hiking is because the Indy isn't a hiking boot and just seems way too heavy to me to be out on the trail with, shell or not. Other than that though, I'm in the camp that says you bought what is essentially a pair of work boots and there is no need to treat them like they are made of onionskin.

----------------

I bought a pair of Color #8 PTBs from the Shoemart seconds list. I had been looking around for a pair in my size and width and when I saw it on the list, I couldn't resist purchasing it with the discount. They arrived yesterday and I couldn't find a defect on them no matter how hard I looked. I don't think they had even been tried on before. They did have what looked like a a couple heavy duty specks of discoloration on them but they came right off with a lightly wet rag so I doubt that was what made them seconds.

14. number9dream

number9dream Senior member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lesamourai

I'm sure this thread has been beating to death with sizing advice, so sorry to contribute to that. Anyways, a friend is going to NY next weekend and I was thinking of asking her to stop by the Alden store and see if they have the cap toe boots in my size. Problem is, not having owned any Aldens before, I'm not sure what that is and can only provide other brands to go off of. I wear an 8 in Clark's DB, 7.5 in Red Wing Iron Rangers, and a 9 in Vans (if that actually helps lol). Any advice would be much appreciated.

Here's my advice: Don't buy any shoes that you cannot easily return. I know from experience that it is a real mistake. Especially when you are talking boots that will cost you several hundred dollars.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  15. lesamourai

lesamourai Senior member

Sorry, grant last.

I'm only an hour and a half or so away from NYC driving, I just haven't had the chance the make a day trip up there. I'm sure taking a shot in the dark with something like theshoemart would be better (but they're all out) but, yes, I suppose that I should wait until I can make time to actually go up there, but I also don't want the stock to run out like theshoemart.

I do have a store near me that sells aldens, but the only boot they have are the indys. Would going there and getting sized up in them give me a better indicator as to what size I should be in?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.