• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BBBF Black Shell LWB. Any can comment on what last these might be? I have them in a 9.5 when most of my Barries are 9. The left shoe fits perfectly, the right is big, much more noticeable on my feet with this last than any other I wear.

They are on the Grant last.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BBBF Black Shell LWB. Any can comment on what last these might be? I have them in a 9.5 when most of my Barries are 9. The left shoe fits perfectly, the right is big, much more noticeable on my feet with this last than any other I wear.

Grant

izach

Reaction score
Great choice. T
You'll love them.
Ike:foo:

number9dream

Reaction score

Taking shells hiking? I love how this guy mind works.... I say go for it. Please post pics afterwards....

This discussion reminds me of the guy who took his shell cordovan Wolverine 1000 mile boots on a rainy hunting trip. He did a little extra waterproofing, but the shell cordovan held up very well. Read the thread here.

JPFNY5

Reaction score
Does anyone have an Indy or workboot on the crepe sole? If so, whats the opinion as compared to the commando or dress sole? Thanks for the opinions

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone have an Indy or workboot on the crepe sole? If so, whats the opinion as compared to the commando or dress sole? Thanks for the opinions
I have a crepe soled shoe. I'm not a fan. I can't tell you how much I dislike it. The leather toe tip got destroyed from using them in the rain (all weather yeah right!) 3 times. Also, for some reason the crepe sole became rock hard after a year. Besides that, the sole looked rather ugly even from the first day. Commando soles are more practical, you can actually use them in the rain, and are much less visible.

g.michael

Reaction score

i already know the answer to this but i would be marsupialed to take shell indy's hiking even if they have commando soles? i am going hiking in a week and dont have any other shoes other than sneakers but i hear the trail is nothing crazy or anything ... not sure if its worth the risk hah

Use the boots as boots and take them hiking. Baby them afterwards with some Renovateur and the spoon trick for deeper scuffs and scratches. Then use paste wax for touch up. Dont treat them like ballet slippers--they're boots.

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this thread has been beating to death with sizing advice, so sorry to contribute to that. Anyways, a friend is going to NY next weekend and I was thinking of asking her to stop by the Alden store and see if they have the cap toe boots in my size. Problem is, not having owned any Aldens before, I'm not sure what that is and can only provide other brands to go off of. I wear an 8 in Clark's DB, 7.5 in Red Wing Iron Rangers, and a 9 in Vans (if that actually helps lol). Any advice would be much appreciated.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm sure this thread has been beating to death with sizing advice, so sorry to contribute to that. Anyways, a friend is going to NY next weekend and I was thinking of asking her to stop by the Alden store and see if they have the cap toe boots in my size. Problem is, not having owned any Aldens before, I'm not sure what that is and can only provide other brands to go off of. I wear an 8 in Clark's DB, 7.5 in Red Wing Iron Rangers, and a 9 in Vans (if that actually helps lol). Any advice would be much appreciated.

You didn't even mention the last(s).

Calikid

Reaction score
was considering a whiskey nst..but then found the indy in stock in my size. I don't really want another boot, but I feel like I may never get another shot at a whiskey indy
so....whisky indy or nst?
smile.gif
Go for the whiskey Indy.... I did and they arrived yesterday and they are awesome!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding hiking with the shell Indy boots... The only reason I would say not to take them hiking is because the Indy isn't a hiking boot and just seems way too heavy to me to be out on the trail with, shell or not. Other than that though, I'm in the camp that says you bought what is essentially a pair of work boots and there is no need to treat them like they are made of onionskin.

----------------

I bought a pair of Color #8 PTBs from the Shoemart seconds list. I had been looking around for a pair in my size and width and when I saw it on the list, I couldn't resist purchasing it with the discount. They arrived yesterday and I couldn't find a defect on them no matter how hard I looked. I don't think they had even been tried on before. They did have what looked like a a couple heavy duty specks of discoloration on them but they came right off with a lightly wet rag so I doubt that was what made them seconds.

number9dream

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesamourai

Here's my advice: Don't buy any shoes that you cannot easily return. I know from experience that it is a real mistake. Especially when you are talking boots that will cost you several hundred dollars.

Last edited:

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You didn't even mention the last(s).

Sorry, grant last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesamourai
Here's my advice: Don't buy any shoes that you cannot easily return. I know from experience that it is a real mistake. Especially when you are talking boots that will cost you several hundred dollars.

I'm only an hour and a half or so away from NYC driving, I just haven't had the chance the make a day trip up there. I'm sure taking a shot in the dark with something like theshoemart would be better (but they're all out) but, yes, I suppose that I should wait until I can make time to actually go up there, but I also don't want the stock to run out like theshoemart.

I do have a store near me that sells aldens, but the only boot they have are the indys. Would going there and getting sized up in them give me a better indicator as to what size I should be in?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads