• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chien

Reaction score
Hi guys, about to make some purchase for the conditioning of my upcoming first alden Cordovan boots.

Is caring for a cordovan leather as simple as I read in the forums?

Where all i need is a good horsehair brush and a cordovan cream for the cordovan leather? I do not need any other conditioners or saddle soap right?

Right now thats what i have in my basket are a Saphir horsehair brush, and a Saphir Medaille D'Or Cordovan Cream Polish. If there is any thing else I need, please let me know.

thank you.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

awesome you always come through for me my friend

:fistbump: im actually going hiking tomorrow. probably going to take the tobacco indys again. my only reservation is that hiking does increase the wear and tear but i love looking sharp, even on the trails :lol:

Thank you, Namor!

i keep looking at your pants. the crease looks razor sharp

Hi guys, about to make some purchase for the conditioning of my upcoming first alden Cordovan boots.
Is caring for a cordovan leather as simple as I read in the forums?
Where all i need is a good horsehair brush and a cordovan cream for the cordovan leather? I do not need any other conditioners or saddle soap right?
Right now thats what i have in my basket are a Saphir horsehair brush, and a Saphir Medaille D'Or Cordovan Cream Polish. If there is any thing else I need, please let me know.
thank you.

this should be all you need. I also purchased cordovan paste wax but havent opened it - no need.

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think that the shell Barries generally run bigger than the suede and calf Barries - as it was explained to me, it is tougher to stretch the shell around the last so you end up a slightly looser (read bigger) upper. The calf and suede and can be stretched/manipulated better and you end up with a tighter upper.

Yet another Barrie and Tru-balance last question...
I have a pair of these cordovan #8 on the Barrie last, size 10D

And these Indy boots in Chamois Oiled Nubuck on the Tru-balance last in 9.5D

Both boots fit about the same. Does anyone else find that their Tru-balance size is 1/2 down from Barrie? If it helps, I wear size 10 in Converse All Stars and Red Wing boots, 9.5 in Thorogood boots.
Thanks in advance.

This is common. I own 2 pair of cap toes on the Hampton last. I have a black, perf. cap toe in calf and a cap toe in #8 burgundy shell. The #8 shells definitely fit looser (enough for thicker socks). I also own 2 pair of Jump Boots from Leather Soul. One pair is Chromexcel and the other #8. Again, the shell fits looser even compared to the soft Chromexcel.

Hah. This is SUPER helpful to see. Thanks for the original query and to HorseHide for his observation. I'm not losing my mind...

Whiskey LWB.....
6222207476_303d3cceb6.jpg

and this is just really nice to see. :D

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
No one has the alpine perf tip boot?

harrythedog

Reaction score

anyone with experience hiking with alden indys with a commando sole? was it alright?

hey rkd, at first i babied the my kudu ultimate's. it's not that i don;t take care of them any more, but since adding some shell i have worn these boots a little harder then i thought i would. they have been hiking with me all over vermont, and held up really well.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone with experience hiking with alden indys with a commando sole? was it alright?

hey rkd, at first i babied the my kudu ultimate's. it's not that i don;t take care of them any more, but since adding some shell i have worn these boots a little harder then i thought i would. they have been hiking with me all over vermont, and held up really well.

i already know the answer to this but i would be marsupialed to take shell indy's hiking even if they have commando soles? i am going hiking in a week and dont have any other shoes other than sneakers but i hear the trail is nothing crazy or anything ... not sure if its worth the risk hah

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

confused by the above...where do you find these?

go to theshoemart.com, click Alden. then order the shoes by lowest to highest price. you'll see the 2nds discounted in red ink. it easier to browse when it set to 'view 96' as opposed to just 16

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

go to theshoemart.com, click Alden. then order the shoes by lowest to highest price. you'll see the 2nds discounted in red ink. it easier to browse when it set to 'view 96' as opposed to just 16

And there are some good deals to be had..

number9dream

Reaction score
Anyone else waiting for Epaulet's Ravello Brixton boot to come in on order? Website estimated a delivery time of July-September 2011. With this colder weather coming on, I hope they are in the works!

harrythedog

Reaction score

i already know the answer to this but i would be marsupialed to take shell indy's hiking even if they have commando soles? i am going hiking in a week and dont have any other shoes other than sneakers but i hear the trail is nothing crazy or anything ... not sure if its worth the risk hah

wear the sneakers

nurktwin

Reaction score
Does anyone have the Alden 1273s chukka? If so, thoughts on this model with rubber lug sole vs the Alden suede Chukkas with leather soles? Any pics? How do these look with jeans or chinos? Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics