***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmspawn

rmspawn Senior member

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

ooof

using $650 shell boots for hiking is absurd because they WILL get beat up. it just takes one inadvertent contact with a jagged rock or a stiff 100 year old root to realize this. when hiking, you cant be as careful planning out your movements and so its inevitable that your boots will get scraped and gashed. Indy boots are versatile, hell their even characterized as "work" boots, but that doesn't mean you should beat them up when you dont have to.

3. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Have them resoled to something else! :)

My only experience with crepe sole has been on Clarks DBs and like you, I'm not a fan. I don't really care about these shoes as they are cheap enough to throw away.

4. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

It's fairly silly for a number of reasons. An Indy boot is only marginally more fit for hiking than a longwing!

I probably will at some point, but I'll never forget!

5. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

6. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

I don't know man. While I feel the same apprehension about scuffing up a pair of nice cordovan, its the wear that gives them the patina that looks so good. Indy boots are Indy Boots, not dress shoes, and if the cordo Indys are the only boots you got, then you goota wear em. Or on the other side, like me, I have a few pair of cordo boots, and have chosen to use my Ultimate Jumpers as "beaters". The rest I'll wear as dress bots, and be careful with em, but even then, a small metal piece that breaks off an office desk could do just as much damage as a rock on a 15 mile hike. Its a catch 22 on this one for me. All depends on the individual I guess.

7. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

I have crepe soles on my Indy boots and love them so much I would like to have a pair of my non-Aldens resoled with the plantation crepe sole. I find the sole is comfortable to walk on and provides good traction. My Indy boots were my go to footwear for 3 weeks of walking around Europe summer 2010.

8. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

+1. Cordovan can be brought back from the dead, and, oftentimes it seems, become better after the resurrection.

9. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

As I feared, my Leffot Ravello Captoe boots on the Grant last in Size 10D are too snug for me, so I will be selling them to recoup what they cost me. If you are interested in them for $705 plus shipping at cost, please pm me. They are new in box, uncreased and worn on the carpet for a couple of minutes max. My loss, someone else's gain. The boots really are gorgeous; not happy they didn't work out.

http://leffot.com/2011/09/29/alden-x-leffot-day-tripper-boot/

10. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

So how do you think they fit? TTS?

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

excuse me for beating a dead horse, but this issue continues to rattle me.

i agree that cordovan can be restored but thats not my point of contention. my questions is, if you have other options, why would you wear relatively new $650 non-hiking boot on a hike? because you want to beat them up and then be able to restore them?

this is different from wearing your boots to work in somewhat muddy, wet conditions where your primary obstacles are puddles, salt, snow, etc. ill post close-ups pics of my tobacco chamois indys that I use for hiking. I purchased them as hiking boots because a) they were purchased second hand and thus were already broken in, scraped, etc and b) the boot looks great while providing hiking utility. But shit, they arent $650 shell boots!

12. harrythedog

harrythedog Well-Known Member

i second this! from the only other person that responded to rkd's original question... that said, in the original question there was no mention of shell. yes shell is resilient, durable, etc... and to those of you who have said, ya why not beat em up, it'll give em a nice patina. lets see some pics of yours on the trail

13. Ritchee

Ritchee Senior member

I'd like to see pics of your tobacco chamois indys as I'm waiting for a pair of ranger mocs in tobacco chamois

14. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

PipersSon, yea, for me at least I think the Grant Last fits TTS.

15. forex

forex Senior member

Question for those who have shell tassel loafers on aberdeen last. My suede and calf tassel loafers on aberdeen last fit me fine, in fact, I love the suede version and have multiple pairs. However, shell version was too lose in the heel and I'd have a heel slipage. So I went half a size down but then they were too short and uncomfortable. Will the heel slipage go away once I break in the shoes or am I out of luck with the shell tassels?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.