• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

lol ill show before and after pics then

ooof

using $650 shell boots for hiking is absurd because they WILL get beat up. it just takes one inadvertent contact with a jagged rock or a stiff 100 year old root to realize this. when hiking, you cant be as careful planning out your movements and so its inevitable that your boots will get scraped and gashed. Indy boots are versatile, hell their even characterized as "work" boots, but that doesn't mean you should beat them up when you dont have to.

Last edited:

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a crepe soled shoe. I'm not a fan. I can't tell you how much I dislike it. The leather toe tip got destroyed from using them in the rain (all weather yeah right!) 3 times. Also, for some reason the crepe sole became rock hard after a year. Besides that, the sole looked rather ugly even from the first day.
Commando soles are more practical, you can actually use them in the rain, and are much less visible.

Have them resoled to something else! :)

My only experience with crepe sole has been on Clarks DBs and like you, I'm not a fan. I don't really care about these shoes as they are cheap enough to throw away.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ooof
using $650 shell boots for hiking is absurd because they WILL get beat up. it just takes one inadvertent contact with a jagged rock or a stiff 100 year old root to realize this. when hiking, you cant be as careful planning out your movements and so its inevitable that your boots will get scraped and gashed. Indy boots are versatile, hell their even characterized as "work" boots, but that doesn't mean you should beat them up when you dont have to.

It's fairly silly for a number of reasons. An Indy boot is only marginally more fit for hiking than a longwing!

Have them resoled to something else! :)
My only experience with crepe sole has been on Clarks DBs and like you, I'm not a fan. I don't really care about these shoes as they are cheap enough to throw away.

I probably will at some point, but I'll never forget!

Last edited:

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ooof

I don't know man. While I feel the same apprehension about scuffing up a pair of nice cordovan, its the wear that gives them the patina that looks so good. Indy boots are Indy Boots, not dress shoes, and if the cordo Indys are the only boots you got, then you goota wear em. Or on the other side, like me, I have a few pair of cordo boots, and have chosen to use my Ultimate Jumpers as "beaters". The rest I'll wear as dress bots, and be careful with em, but even then, a small metal piece that breaks off an office desk could do just as much damage as a rock on a 15 mile hike. Its a catch 22 on this one for me. All depends on the individual I guess.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have crepe soles on my Indy boots and love them so much I would like to have a pair of my non-Aldens resoled with the plantation crepe sole. I find the sole is comfortable to walk on and provides good traction. My Indy boots were my go to footwear for 3 weeks of walking around Europe summer 2010.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know man. While I feel the same apprehension about scuffing up a pair of nice cordovan, its the wear that gives them the patina that looks so good. Indy boots are Indy Boots, not dress shoes, and if the cordo Indys are the only boots you got, then you goota wear em. Or on the other side, like me, I have a few pair of cordo boots, and have chosen to use my Ultimate Jumpers as "beaters". The rest I'll wear as dress bots, and be careful with em, but even then, a small metal piece that breaks off an office desk could do just as much damage as a rock on a 15 mile hike. Its a catch 22 on this one for me. All depends on the individual I guess.

+1. Cordovan can be brought back from the dead, and, oftentimes it seems, become better after the resurrection.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I feared, my Leffot Ravello Captoe boots on the Grant last in Size 10D are too snug for me, so I will be selling them to recoup what they cost me. If you are interested in them for $705 plus shipping at cost, please pm me. They are new in box, uncreased and worn on the carpet for a couple of minutes max. My loss, someone else's gain. The boots really are gorgeous; not happy they didn't work out.

http://leffot.com/2011/09/29/alden-x-leffot-day-tripper-boot/

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As I feared, my Leffot Ravello Captoe boots on the Grant last in Size 10D are too snug for me, so I will be selling them to recoup what they cost me. If you are interested in them for $705 plus shipping at cost, please pm me. They are new in box, uncreased and worn on the carpet for a couple of minutes max. My loss, someone else's gain. The boots really are gorgeous; not happy they didn't work out.
http://leffot.com/2011/09/29/alden-x-leffot-day-tripper-boot/

So how do you think they fit? TTS?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

+1. Cordovan can be brought back from the dead, and, oftentimes it seems, become better after the resurrection.

excuse me for beating a dead horse, but this issue continues to rattle me.

i agree that cordovan can be restored but thats not my point of contention. my questions is, if you have other options, why would you wear relatively new $650 non-hiking boot on a hike? because you want to beat them up and then be able to restore them?

this is different from wearing your boots to work in somewhat muddy, wet conditions where your primary obstacles are puddles, salt, snow, etc. ill post close-ups pics of my tobacco chamois indys that I use for hiking. I purchased them as hiking boots because a) they were purchased second hand and thus were already broken in, scraped, etc and b) the boot looks great while providing hiking utility. But ****, they arent $650 shell boots!

Last edited:

harrythedog

Reaction score

excuse me for beating a dead horse, but this issue continues to rattle me.
i agree that cordovan can be restored but thats not my point of contention. my questions is, if you have other options, why would you wear relatively new $650 non-hiking boot on a hike? because you want to beat them up and then be able to restore them?
this is different from wearing your boots to work in somewhat muddy, wet conditions where your primary obstacles are puddles, salt, snow, etc. ill post close-ups pics of my tobacco chamois indys that I use for hiking. I purchased them as hiking boots because a) they were purchased second hand and thus were already broken in, scraped, etc and b) the boot looks great while providing hiking utility. But ****, they arent $650 shell boots!

i second this! from the only other person that responded to rkd's original question... that said, in the original question there was no mention of shell. yes shell is resilient, durable, etc... and to those of you who have said, ya why not beat em up, it'll give em a nice patina. lets see some pics of yours on the trail

Ritchee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ill post close-ups pics of my tobacco chamois indys that I use for hiking. I purchased them as hiking boots because a) they were purchased second hand and thus were already broken in, scraped, etc and b) the boot looks great while providing hiking utility. But ****, they arent $650 shell boots!

I'd like to see pics of your tobacco chamois indys as I'm waiting for a pair of ranger mocs in tobacco chamois

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for those who have shell tassel loafers on aberdeen last. My suede and calf tassel loafers on aberdeen last fit me fine, in fact, I love the suede version and have multiple pairs. However, shell version was too lose in the heel and I'd have a heel slipage. So I went half a size down but then they were too short and uncomfortable. Will the heel slipage go away once I break in the shoes or am I out of luck with the shell tassels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics