• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the guy who did not like black shell when I got into this game. It was the only shade of Alden shell that I did not like. It actually took me quite a few years before I came to appreciate it. I have obviously come around. Just grabbed the Cap’s and now my family is complete. I know, I know. Famous last words…… View attachment 2158531
Those plain toe boots are especially dope! I love black shell, man. I also have four pair: plain toe oxfords, cap toe oxfords, plain toe single monks, and Chelsea’s. I’m looking to add two more at some point: Plain toe bluchers and Indy’s.

CLH03

Reaction score
Anyone have info on the new braided laces I’m seeing? Are they selling those anywhere?
Should be available for any retailer to order I believe. Some might just not stock. The factory will probably send you some if you email.

CLH03

Reaction score
From the guy who did not like black shell when I got into this game. It was the only shade of Alden shell that I did not like. It actually took me quite a few years before I came to appreciate it. I have obviously come around. Just grabbed the Cap’s and now my family is complete. I know, I know. Famous last words…… View attachment 2158531
Love those long wing tassels!

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Outside grilling dinner before the thunderstorm moves in. Brogue "Tourist" boot for rain gutter clearing duties and manning the grill.
1000010438.jpg

Small ankle problems...
1000010437.jpg

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you get the cap toes direct from Anatomica? I've been seriously considering reaching out to them to see what they have available or what I could potentially order if they have recurring runs of their make ups.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those plain toe boots are especially dope! I love black shell, man. I also have four pair: plain toe oxfords, cap toe oxfords, plain toe single monks, and Chelsea’s. I’m looking to add two more at some point: Plain toe bluchers and Indy’s.

Thanks @sterlingindigo. They are currently my only TB and my only footwear on neocork. If I wasn’t ‘downsizing’ I’d love some black cap toes and/or single monks.

Love those long wing tassels!

Much appreciated @CLH03. I haven’t had them very long but they have earned a spot in the top of my rotation. Such a cool make.

Did you get the cap toes direct from Anatomica? I've been seriously considering reaching out to them to see what they have available or what I could potentially order if they have recurring runs of their make ups.

I grabbed mine from @rdugz but I assume they came from Anatomica. What the pic doesn’t show is that they are unlined, which is what really drew me to them. Strangely, they look like Modified but I don’t think they are so maybe not Anatomical. Regardless, certainly worth reaching out. I’m quite pleased with them.

Ever since I relegated these to being my "beater shell" I find I've been wearing them the most of all my shell shoes as I no longer am worried about weather or scuffs. Probably should treat all my shell the same way
View attachment 2158613
View attachment 2158615
Yeah man, this. While I admittingly avoid the rain on all but a couple of my shells (fascinating conversation about wet spots/welts), your caps look great. Well-card for shell ages so nicely.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those black cap toes are definitely on Modified. They have unlined quarters and a gusset tongue. That is the only pattern like that that Alden will do and it is exclusive to Anatomica. They will not do it on any other last.

The pair that @Shawnc posted is from a more recent run. The older runs had a 2-2 double stitch on the quarter / vamp line, which matched the 2-2 stitch on the heel counter, but they stopped doing that. The specific pair is an FD, hence the lack of the Anatomica heel pad.

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is always nice to learn something new and @JSO1 rarely disappoints in that regard. I went back and checked the original entry and they are in fact listed as Modified. Everything else Jeff mentions seems borne out by the OP. What I didn’t know (and am not completely on board with yet) is that a generic Alden heel pad is an indication of a FD (maybe specific to Anatomica) as I am pretty sure I have many Alden’s that do not have the custom heel pad. And just a minor snit. These were definitely not represented (as far as I can tell) as FD’s which I find unfortunate and kind of indicative of the increased risk of buying on SF. I hate to be the old fart screaming at the neighborhood kids about their ball landing in my yard but buying from fellow SF’ers was always risk free (at least in the circle of 8.5/9D’s) and that seems to have slowly shifted. I even inquired about the original Alden box and was provided an answer that is certainly not consistent with the boots being FD’s. I have looked the boots over with a fine-tooth comb and I swear I can’t find any indication as to why these would be FD’s so I remain fine with the transaction. But geez, c’mon man…..

barutanseijin

Reaction score
I
It is always nice to learn something new and @JSO1 rarely disappoints in that regard. I went back and checked the original entry and they are in fact listed as Modified. Everything else Jeff mentions seems borne out by the OP. What I didn’t know (and am not completely on board with yet) is that a generic Alden heel pad is an indication of a FD (maybe specific to Anatomica) as I am pretty sure I have many Alden’s that do not have the custom heel pad. And just a minor snit. These were definitely not represented (as far as I can tell) as FD’s which I find unfortunate and kind of indicative of the increased risk of buying on SF. I hate to be the old fart screaming at the neighborhood kids about their ball landing in my yard but buying from fellow SF’ers was always risk free (at least in the circle of 8.5/9D’s) and that seems to have slowly shifted. I even inquired about the original Alden box and was provided an answer that is certainly not consistent with the boots being FD’s. I have looked the boots over with a fine-tooth comb and I swear I can’t find any indication as to why these would be FD’s so I remain fine with the transaction. But geez, c’mon man…..

I think what he means is that if it is a retailer exclusive makeup, one that gets a retailer heel pad and doesn’t, then the generic heel pad indicates an FD. Otherwise, if it’s a standard offering like a 986 or 975 or something, then it’s going to get a plain old Alden heel pad even if it’s just fine.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah cap toes were from City (Blaine). I always wanted a pair of black single monks since Brosnan was Bond (Church’s).

Thanks @sterlingindigo. They are currently my only TB and my only footwear on neocork. If I wasn’t ‘downsizing’ I’d love some black cap toes and/or single monks.

Much appreciated @CLH03. I haven’t had them very long but they have earned a spot in the top of my rotation. Such a cool make.

I grabbed mine from @rdugz but I assume they came from Anatomica. What the pic doesn’t show is that they are unlined, which is what really drew me to them. Strangely, they look like Modified but I don’t think they are so maybe not Anatomical. Regardless, certainly worth reaching out. I’m quite pleased with them.

Yeah man, this. While I admittingly avoid the rain on all but a couple of my shells (fascinating conversation about wet spots/welts), your caps look great. Well-card for shell ages so nicely.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads