• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The 2024 Styleforum and Epaulet Alpaca Project

For the third year in a row, we're thrilled to partner with @Epaulet to bring you an exclusive collection of luxurious sweaters, hats, jackets, and blankets in Peruvian Alpaca.

Details can be found here

The Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_6847.jpeg

Cigar MCT on Hampton!

Cheers!

single_origin

Reaction score
Is Alden suede (e.g. 6224L) treated with any water repellant out of the factory? In a fashion similar to Crockett & Jones repello suede?

JTMD

Reaction score
Hi All,

Not sure where my question belongs but as I usually hang here, I'll ask you gents..

Does anyone have any experience using the company Reship? If I understand correctly they give you a US address, you get your things shipped there, and then the company re-ships it to you for a handling fee of around $15. As I live in Europe, this would be handy for purchases from certain US stores that refuse to ship overseas (I.E. shoebank doesn't ship Aldens overseas). In theory it sounds pretty nice. Easier, cheaper, and quicker than having my poor mother receive it and ship it on...curious what the downsides might be though.

Thanks in advance...

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Tuesday forum pals. #wearyourrares

IMG_0603.jpg

kubalondon

Reaction score
I am looking at a penny loafer from Alden (cordovan leather, colour 8). I am normally size 9 in Crockett Jones (Harvard loafers fit like a glove). I experienced some hill slippage in size 9 US loafer (say one every few steps). Is this to be expected / normal? Mindful of it as the initial post here is indicating that cordovan leather doesn't stretch much, so don't want to end up with too tight shoe either. I am based in the UK so there is only D width available. Tried US 9.5 and was getting heel slippage about every other step (store said it's normal, but I am not sure..).

jellyroller

Reaction score
I am looking at a penny loafer from Alden (cordovan leather, colour 8). I am normally size 9 in Crockett Jones (Harvard loafers fit like a glove). I experienced some hill slippage in size 9 US loafer (say one every few steps). Is this to be expected / normal? Mindful of it as the initial post here is indicating that cordovan leather doesn't stretch much, so don't want to end up with too tight shoe either. I am based in the UK so there is only D width available. Tried US 9.5 and was getting heel slippage about every other step (store said it's normal, but I am not sure..).

I assume the Alden loafer you tried was on the Van last. For what it's worth, I take a 7.5E (regular width) UK in C&J Harvard and an 8E (slightly wider than average) US in Alden Van last.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Not sure where my question belongs but as I usually hang here, I'll ask you gents..

Does anyone have any experience using the company Reship? If I understand correctly they give you a US address, you get your things shipped there, and then the company re-ships it to you for a handling fee of around $15. As I live in Europe, this would be handy for purchases from certain US stores that refuse to ship overseas (I.E. shoebank doesn't ship Aldens overseas). In theory it sounds pretty nice. Easier, cheaper, and quicker than having my poor mother receive it and ship it on...curious what the downsides might be though.

Thanks in advance...
I've never heard of them but I can think of a few downsides.
1. Site could be a scam.
2. If size is off or there's a defect, returns are going to be much harder.
3. Import duties to Europe.

If you have a few hundred euros to take the chance then why not. The site could save you quite a bit of money.

kubalondon

Reaction score
I assume the Alden loafer you tried was on the Van last. For what it's worth, I take a 7.5E (regular width) UK in C&J Harvard and an 8E (slightly wider than average) US in Alden Van last.
Thank you. It is the Van last but stockists in the UK normally have only one width (D), which is in and of itself not ideal. Easier to shop at JM Weston here with different widths.. But then again, none of them are as appealing as these loafers in cordovan and in van last. Just look soo versatile.

And do you recall if there is any heel slippage to start with? I was told it’s a ‘thing’ with Alden as soles are stiff and takes time for the shoe to soften and heel slippage reduce.

jellyroller

Reaction score
Thank you. It is the Van last but stockists in the UK normally have only one width (D), which is in and of itself not ideal. Easier to shop at JM Weston here with different widths.. But then again, none of them are as appealing as these loafers in cordovan and in van last. Just look soo versatile.

And do you recall if there is any heel slippage to start with? I was told it’s a ‘thing’ with Alden as soles are stiff and takes time for the shoe to soften and heel slippage reduce.

I don’t recall with Alden specifically but in terms of shoes generally that I’ve owned, some have had slight heel slippage that went away completely after I’d broken in the shoes, while others that had slight heel slippage to start only got worse as I broke them in. Sorry - I’m sure that’s not very helpful.

kubalondon

Reaction score
I don’t recall with Alden specifically but in terms of shoes generally that I’ve owned, some have had slight heel slippage that went away completely after I’d broken in the shoes, while others that had slight heel slippage to start only got worse as I broke them in. Sorry - I’m sure that’s not very helpful.

To be fair, this is helpful. I am fairly new to these higher end brands so proceeding carefully and don’t want to end up having to sell my shoes that I ‘bought for life’.

JTMD

Reaction score
I've never heard of them but I can think of a few downsides.
1. Site could be a scam.
2. If size is off or there's a defect, returns are going to be much harder.
3. Import duties to Europe.

If you have a few hundred euros to take the chance then why not. The site could save you quite a bit of money.

1..indeed...that's why I'm making enquiries.

2. I suppose liability might indeed come into play should damage occur between receiving and re-shipping. In this case no returns are accepted anyways.

3. I imagine that I'll be paying duty on imported goods no matter the method of shipping. By sending them to my mother instead of the re-shipping company I'll also get hit with $100 in US/State taxes. The 15% Switzerland is enough. Another 10% to the US/illinois/Crook county every time I want a pair of Aldens is an unnecessary add on

Again, not a matter of having a few hundred to take the chance versus trying to find out if it's a viable option for orders out of the US. I actually had someone on a shoe forum recommend the service. I'm not just pulling this out of my rear.

I mostly see positive reviews of the service but was hoping someone here might know more..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240611_165220_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240611_165220_Samsung Internet.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Markintosh

Reaction score

Markintosh

Reaction score
If it's helpful...I have a high instep - I have C&J Boston G fitting 10.5 UK fits very well, same in C&J Pembroke 10.5 UK G fitting, in Alden Van last, I take an 11E, fit is amazing...VERY comfortable...no heel slip....

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hieromance