• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lot of similarities to @audog, both on initial sizing and for 2021. As for my first pair, man, it's even hard for me to believe. I always thought my shoe game was pretty tight with my Cole Hahn wingtips. And in Pittsburgh, those Cole Hahn's put me in the upper echelon of shoe wearers. One day I was scouring the bay for some Cole Hahn's and stumbled across something I had never seen before. Burgundy colored shoes with an antique edge. Up to that point, I had never thought about edges as they were all black. Man, they looked incredible and I absolutely had to have them. But $225 was far above what I had ever spent on shoes, let alone pre-owned ones. I reached out to the seller and he assured me that these Brooks Brothers shoes we're high-end and would last me the rest of my life. I figured it was part of the sales game and was unmoved. But man, those antique edges. Turns out he was a shoe cobbler who had converted the unlined shells to antique. Ended up kicking up the 2-and-a-quarter. Got the shoes and instantly went to work on them. All kinds of cheap Kiwi shoe polish, day after day, just kept hitting them. The more I hit them, the worse they looked. After weeks of frustration I finally decided to search online and somehow stumbled across this site. Turns out that the shoes we're made of this here-to-fore unknown to me material called shell cordovan. And here I thought cordovan was a color, not a material. And after getting some really great advice from this community I ultimately got those BB looking great. The problem at that point was the fact that they we're a full size and a half too large was starting to get to me. You see, there is this thing called brannock and lasts and who knew that a size 9.5 really equated to a size 10 and ............

That was my slippery slope and man, am I glad I got sucked into this. I really enjoy my shoes and the relationships I've formed over the years on this site. And as a final nod to Mac, he was simply the most patient, welcoming, and giving of his time person that you could ever hope to encounter. When I look back on the absolute stupidity and laziness of some of my questions I am almost embarrassed. There were a couple site 'veterans' who would get impatient and respond with a curt 'do a search' but never Mac. Never once. He just kept helping. No matter what. That always stuck with me and it is the primary reason why I never belittle a question and always try to make newbies feel welcome. It is the one thing that distinguishes this thread from many others on SF.

Man, that was a mouthful.

Last edited:

lcdx22

Reaction score
View attachment 1527552

January 2021: Your Alden History and Forecast for the New Year

Gentlemen, as promised, I wanted to kick off January 2021’s monthly topic. Take all the time that you need to think of your personal response, as you got all month to work on a post that suits you and captures your thoughts, so no need to rush to post a response today!

This post is a two-part topic focused on yesterday and tomorrow.

As for yesterday, what was your first Alden pair and where did you get it? You can go into as much or little detail from your beginnings in your shoe endeavor or it could just be Color #8 Tassel from the Alden Shop of San Francisco. Up to you and no worries either way.

The second part is where are you looking to head this year and what is the first pair that you plan to get this year? For some, this may be just starting the rotation of shoes. For others, it could be refining their collection. And for some, it may be reducing down the overall collection to a more manageable state and buying none and enjoying the fantastic shoes that you already have.

Please reply to this post to make your responses easier to see. Thank you so much and I very much look forward to seeing everyone’s thoughts this month!

-Mike

This is a great idea.

My first entry into nice shoes that didn't come from Aldi or DSW came in 2015 when my wife bought me 2 pairs of allen edmonds. This is the beginning of this crazy hobby. Those first two pairs brought me to Styleforum.

My first venture into Alden was in 2018 when I purchased a #8 Chukka after lusting for them for 3 years. Looking at the pictures on AoC website almost weekly. Unfortunately fit was bad even though I got fitted and bought locally and the Alden itch got put on the back burner.

Enter 2020 and right after this pandemic started I really wanted a pair of CXL Indy's and a dress boot which ended up being a Grant lasted PCT in #8 shell. Receiving these two pairs kicked off an addiction that led to 31 pairs ordered in my first year. Unfortunately due to my size many had to be Preorders so the pairs I received are not necessarily in the same order they were wanted/purchased. The other part that justified getting so many pairs is that I lost quite a bit of weight and dropped down 2 widths, so I had to purge my current collection which consisted primarily of Allen Edmonds.

More detail on my first Alden year acquisition list can be found in my post from yesterday quoted below.

As it looks like we have transitioned to the new thread, figure I'd post here.

Reflecting back on 2020 through the Alden lens, it was pretty adventurous. It was the year I started my Alden journey; May 2020 (I thought it was March but looking back realized it was actually May). Prior to May I had purchased a #8 chukka about 2-3 years back and just never wore them as I got the sizing wrong.

Throughout the past 7 months of my Alden adventure I have managed to acquire 14 pairs and end the year with 17 pending pre-orders that will bring more excitement and joy in 2021. Unfortunately due to my large size (12.5/13D) majority of the time I have to go with pre-orders.

It's been awesome sharing this hobby with all of you on here. Thanks to many of you for answering questions, providing input and enabling lol.

Happy New Year to you all!!

Here are my 2020 acquisitions. Leaving the pre-orders for next year (they don't count until you get them, right?)

• Natural CXL Indy Boots, Trubalance (The Shoe Mart)
  • #8 Shell Cordovan Perforated Cap Toe Boot, Grant (The Shoe Mart)
  • Mocha Shell Cordovan Dr.Jones U-Tip Boots, Plaza (Alden DC)
  • Cigar Shell Cordovan LHS, Van (Alden Madison)
  • Cigar Shell Cordovan Medallion Cap Toe Belmorals, Hampton: Sold since (Alden DC)
  • Whiskey Shell Cordovan Wingtip Balmorals, Tremont: Sold since (Alden DC)
  • Snuff Suede LHS, Van ( Brick + Mortar)
  • Ravello Shell Cordovan Straight Tip Boots, Grant (Alden DC)
  • Cigar Shell Cordovan Medallion Cap Toe Boots, Grant (Alden DC)
  • Black Shell Cordovan Straight Tip Boots, Grant (Alden Madison)
  • Black Shell Cordovan Unlined Straight Tip Bluchers, Plaza (Brick + Mortar)
  • Scotch Grain Longwing Bluchers, Barrie (Brick + Mortar)
  • Ravello Shell Cordovan Indy Boots, Trubalance (The Shoe Mart)
  • Ravello Shell Cordovan V-tip Boots, Barrie (Brick + Mortar) - no picture as they're still in the mail, but counting them since they were shipped this year
View attachment 1527141
View attachment 1527142
View attachment 1527149 View attachment 1527143 View attachment 1527150 View attachment 1527151 View attachment 1527152 View attachment 1527144
View attachment 1527158 View attachment 1527159 View attachment 1527160 View attachment 1527161 View attachment 1527166

As far as 2021, I am looking forward to receiving the 17 pairs I have pending. I would like to say that new additions will be limited to grails plus maybe the reverse chamois Indy from SF, but I am not sure to be honest. I still have the itch so will see what 2021 brings.

Through my first year I've realized I love boots more than I could have imagined so probably more boots in my future.

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 2020 additions are not nearly as extensive as some of the others on this forum. But, I'm super pleased with them. The are exactly what I wanted, when I wanted.

The color #8 Indys on commando were pending delivery for a few months from my local Alden DC and came in just before the pandemic hit. Not ideal in order to wear them, but they definitely got the most wear of any shoes or boots I wore in the past year. They are my second pair of Indys and much more functional than my first in tan suede on red microsole. Just a great, rugged boot in the king of colors.

I put my name on the list for the cigar U-tip at Alden DC at the same time I ordered the #8 Indys. I asked if there was a list for cigar, they told me mocha. I said, good enough for me. At some point in production, they switched to cigar, were delivered in mocha to the first group, and then came in as cigar for me. They are my grail boot and it has made me desire new boots much less since they arrived. I can admire others' boots, but I'm really content now and can't really imagine buying anything new right now. (Is that allowed on this forum?) Cigar is my favorite color. The heel tab makes them a breeze getting them on - such a nice addition. I love thee way the brass hardware goes with cigar. Plaza makes them dressier than the traditional Trubalance Indys. These boots satisfy my itch.

The last boot I got this year aren't from Alden. They are Peal and Co. (from the dearly departed Brooks Brothers made in England shoe collection). They are from Alfred Sargent, which is tied with Alden as the most common brand in my footwear collection. These chukkas were an impulse buy. I wanted Chukkas for travel but wanted something with a smarter toe than those by Alden. These were pre-owned, but unused and I saw them for about $160 on-line and jumped to get them. I got them about two weeks before my cigar U-tips came in, so I've only worn them once. They're on dainite, so they are not my ideal sole, but for now, at least, they will become my go to travel shoes. AS doesn't use a metal shank, so going through security will be a breeze. When, I start traveling again for work, though, is completely unknown.

View attachment 1527565

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this one. I love that you seem to be in a really good place and not interested in chasing down the latest and greatest. Trust me when I say, that is a nice place to be. It took me a much longer time to get there. But man, color 8 Indy and Cigar, what else is there. Nicely done my-man. Thanks for sharing.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1527552

Gentlemen, as promised, I wanted to kick off January 2021’s monthly topic. Take all the time that you need to think of your personal response, as you got all month to work on a post that suits you and captures your thoughts, so no need to rush to post a response today!

As for yesterday, what was your first Alden pair and where did you get it? You can go into as much or little detail from your beginnings in your shoe endeavor or it could just be Color #8 Tassel from the Alden Shop of San Francisco. Up to you and no worries either way.

The second part is where are you looking to head this year and what is the first pair that you plan to get this year? For some, this may be just starting the rotation of shoes. For others, it could be refining their collection. And for some, it may be reducing down the overall collection to a more manageable state and buying none and enjoying the fantastic shoes that you already have.

Please reply to this post to make your responses easier to see. Thank you so much and I very much look forward to seeing everyone’s thoughts this month!

-Mike
I’ve had a wild shoe journey during the past decade that included a period of wearing the same pair of stretched out Sperrys because I couldn’t dial in fit. Very discouraging. Red Wing. Then Allen Edmonds (still a personal fave and another thread that I actively enjoy). Then Alden. I live about 1/2 hr from the factory (located in Middleborough, Massachusetts) and am proud and excited to be able to support “local” businesses.

First pairs in very close succession were 403s and 405s in eee (can I really spend THAT much on a pair of shoes???—so young and naive) in 2018 from The Shoe Mart. The 405s are now my GADAs—a little scratch on the toe a while back gave me mental permission to start pushing them to the limits.

This year—I have 4 pre-orders lined up:

Color 8 Jumpers (B+M)

Innes alpine grain (Ealdwine)

Snuff suede Indys (Madison)

Color 8 Indys (Madison)

Goals? I’m sure I’ll acquire more, but I want to focus on “enjoying what I have”—I do tend to baby the shoes, and hope to start really rotating (as opposed to wearing the 405s ALL the time—they’re just so comfortable).

Foot problems have dramatically improved thanks to American-made masterpieces in extra wide...

Glad to be a part of this forum, pals.

lcdx22

Reaction score
Lot of similarities to @audog, both on initial sizing and for 2021. As for my first pair, man, it's even hard for me to believe. I always thought my shoe game was pretty tight with my Cole Hahn wingtips. And in Pittsburgh, those Cole Hahn's put me in the upper echelon of shoe wearers. One day I was scouring the bay for some Cole Hahn's and stumbled across something I had never seen before. Burgundy colored shoes with an antique edge. Up to that point, I had never thought about edges as they were all black. Man, they looked incredible and I absolutely had to have them. But $225 was far above what I had ever spent on shoes, let alone pre-owned ones. I reached out to the seller and he assured me that these Brooks Brothers shoes we're high-end and would last me the rest of my life. I figured it was part of the sales game and was unmoved. But man, those antique edges. Turns out he was a shoe cobbler who had converted the unlined shells to antique. Ended up kicking up the 2-and-a-quarter. Got the shoes and instantly went to work on them. All kinds of cheap Kiwi shoe polish, day after day, just kept hitting them. The more I hit them, the worse they looked. After weeks of frustration I finally decided to search online and somehow stumbled across this site. Turns out that the shoes we're made of this here-to-fore unknown to me material called shell cordovan. And here I thought cordovan was a color, not a material. And after getting some really great advice from this community I ultimately got those BB looking great. The problem at that point was the fact that they we're a full size and a half too large was starting to get to me. You see, there is this thing called brannock and lasts and who knew that a size 9.5 really equated to a size 10 and ............

That was my slippery slope and man, am I glad I got sucked into this. I really enjoy my shoes and the relationships I've formed over the years on this site. And as a final nod to Mac, he was simply the most patient, welcoming, and giving of his time person that you could ever hope to encounter. When I look back on the absolute stupidity and laziness of some of my questions I am almost embarrassed. There were a couple site 'veterans' who would get impatient and respond with a turt 'do a search' but never Mac. Never once. He just kept helping. No matter what. That always stuck with me and it is the primary reason why I never belittle a question and always try to make newbies feel welcome. It is the one thing that distinguishes this thread from many others on SF.

Man, that was a mouthful.

Haha I love this. I used to think my Cole Hahn's from DSW were the ****. Walked around in them really proud.

And I had no idea about shoe care. I bought a kit that included black and dark brown polish, a small brush and a bunch of sponge applicators. I then proceeded to polish my tan Cole Hahn's with dark brown polish that left giant steaks all over the place. At the time I thought brown is brown regardless of shade; there is no such thing as tan polish ?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1527552

-Mike
First pair was some suede chukka boots. I saw Leffot post about them a long time ago. I bought them brand new for huge discount where a shoe repair store in downtown Houston. They were an official Alden retailer but didn't carry any stock. At the time when I bought them, the price was retailer's cost plus $20. Only stipulation was if the sizing was wrong I couldn't return them. I took a chance and ordered size 8 which ended up being my size. I bought my next pair nearly 10 or 11 years later, the green shortwings from Brogueshop. Also size 8 but in Barrie last which fit a little long but width is fine. Still wearable but a little longer than I prefer. I tried the Barrie 7.5D but those are a little tight. I haven't been able to travel anywhere to see if a retailer has a 7.5E Barrie to try yet.

I'd like to purchase a 6 eyed chukka boot in suede that's not in the Barrie or Truebalance last in 2021. I haven't seen any makeups so far. All of the 6 eyed chukka boots are always in these 2 lasts. I'm not a big fan of the high boots so I prefer the height of chukka boots.

Frank Hall

Reaction score
View attachment 1527552

-Mike

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First pair was some suede chukka boots. I saw Leffot post about them a long time ago. I bought them brand new for huge discount where a shoe repair store in downtown Houston. They were an official Alden retailer but didn't carry any stock. At the time when I bought them, the price was retailer's cost plus $20. Only stipulation was if the sizing was wrong I couldn't return them. I took a chance and ordered size 8 which ended up being my size. I bought my next pair nearly 10 or 11 years later, the green shortwings from Brogueshop. Also size 8 but in Barrie last which fit a little long but width is fine. Still wearable but a little longer than I prefer. I tried the Barrie 7.5D but those are a little tight. I haven't been able to travel anywhere to see if a retailer has a 7.5E Barrie to try yet.

I'd like to purchase a 6 eyed chukka boot in suede that's not in the Barrie or Truebalance last in 2021. I haven't seen any makeups so far. All of the 6 eyed chukka boots are always in these 2 lasts. I'm not a big fan of the high boots so I prefer the height of chukka boots.
Don't know if you are on the TSM seconds list, but I was looking at it just for fun and saw a pair of 6 eyelet suede chukkas on Aberdeen.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny how small things can dramatically change the look of boots. When I first got into the Alden game, I loved antique edging, especially on color 8. I still like it, but more when I have commando soles to break up the contrast some. So what I have done is to slowly convert my antique edges to a more brown/mahogany color that C&J uses. As I was doing some shoe maintenance this morning, I came across a picture of 4 boots with minor changes that have made a big difference in the overall look. Below is a before and after........

View attachment 1527561 View attachment 1527562 View attachment 1527563

Left to right......Leffot Cooney, Leffot Dearborn, Ealdwine Sir Walter, and AoC Cigar Perf. Captoe.

Happy New Year Gents!
Info on those shoe racks? I have the woodlore ones, but the cedar doesn't look as refined as these, plus they're not talk enough for boots without the extensions.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know if you are on the TSM seconds list, but I was looking at it just for fun and saw a pair of 6 eyelet suede chukkas on Aberdeen.
I just messaged them to be added to the seconds list. Thanks for the heads up.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just chill Alden's today.. BB Chromexel Tassels for the games..
IMG_1202.JPG

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Info on those shoe racks? I have the woodlore ones, but the cedar doesn't look as refined as these, plus they're not talk enough for boots without the extensions.

It's funny as I get more compliments on my rack than I do my shoes. These stackable racks came from Frontgate. They provide just enough room for chukka but sadly boots will only fit on the top. Even sadder is the fact that Frontgate stopped carrying them shortly after I purchased my last 2. Would love to grab two more but have given up.

Frank Hall

Reaction score
View attachment 1527552

-Mike
Great idea Mike! First pair were black calf plain toe bluchers purchased at the beginning of my banking career in 1989. They were followed quickly by the same shoes in Color 8. Had no idea what shell cordovan was. The men's store in Little Rock did not stock Aldens, but had about a dozen sample pair on display. They called Alden to place the order, and then told me the cordovan color was not in stock in calf leather, but it was available in shell cordovan. With no idea what that meant, and a little unsure about the higher price, it seems like it was $315 at the time, I agreed. For years, I could not understand why when polishing my black calf they would really shine, but no amount of polish would make the Color 8 shine as well. I wore these two pairs of shoes every other day to work for years. It was several resoles and 8 or 10 years later before reading something on the internet about shell cordovan leather before the light came on. It was another 10 or so years before learning about cigar, whiskey and ravello. What did we do before we could search the internet for anything?

This year's plan is to obtain more suede. They are super comfortable, with nano protector they stay new looking for a long time, and can be shampooed when needed. Below is my first purchase of the year. (Actually arrived last week, but didn't open up until this morning). Happy New Year and best wishes to all.
Tan Suede Bluchers.jpe

adrs1157

Reaction score
ADRS, those Earth Chamois NSTs are looking great. Its really cool to see the rugged Chamois Leather combined with the sleeker Aberdeen Last since we typically see it combined with the Trubalance or Barrie. Have a great one!

Thanks Mike. Frans Boone absolutely nailed the makeup for this boot. From the contrasting apron stitch to the 270 degree flat welt, bright brass hardware and Aberdeen last. All on a super interesting, dark backdrop of reverse earth chamois. My first and only NST and I lost no sleep when I placed my order within the span of 5 minutes of discovering it. Cheers!

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1527552

-Mike
So my first pair of Alden was actually a purchase of two. I was just getting into shoes, had joined Styleforum and was living in Manhattan in 2012 when I walked into a store in Midtown that was going out of business. I impulse bought a pair of balmorals in black shell and LHS in color 8 shell. After getting them home and trying them on with the suits I was wearing for work, I immediately had buyer's remorse as they looked way too chunky (had to be the wider welts). Fortunately I was able to sell them here for almost what I paid given the steep discount and put Alden out of my mind.

Fast forward to 2020... I had lost some weight in the past couple of years and in the process had lost about half a shoe size resulting in a purge of almost my entire collection of shoes.

With a much more casual dress code at work and perhaps a new outlook on my style, I decided to take a look back at Alden. I started following the thread here and in the process picked up the following pairs over the course of the year (both new and from fellow members).

Leathersoul Color #8 Wingtip Boots
Ealdwine Reverse Tobacco Chamois Indy Boots
Leathersoul Color #8 Ultimate Jumper Boot (since sold)
TSM Snuff Suede Unlined Chukka Boot
AoC Color #8 Tanker Boot
Alden DC Cigar Cap Toe Boot

Honestly, I currently feel that I am full up on Alden and have their iconic styles covered. I'm not sure I see myself getting another Alden in 2021 unless something really caught my eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members