• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1565060

March 2021: The One That Got Away

Gentlemen, I wanted to kick off March 2021’s monthly topic. This is now our third monthly topic, and I expect that this one will bring out some fairly interesting stories. Take all the time that you need to think of your personal response, as you got all month to work on a post that suits you and captures your thoughts, so no need to rush to post a response today!

The theme is "The One That Got Away", what I mean by that phrase is which Alden did you either not pick up when you had the opportunity to (had to pass on), sold and now regret it, or something disastrous happened to them? I imagine most will be in the first of these categories, but tossed the third one in there in case someone's puppy chewed up their Color #4 Boot or UPS/FedEx lost their Brassvello LWB. They don't have to be a super exotic, it could be a good old classic as well.

Please reply to this post to make your responses easier to see. Thank you so much and I very much look forward to seeing everyone’s thoughts (and I am sure discussions) this month!

-Mike
Yenni's country calf Indy boot. I was too young in my Alden career to be comfortable grabbing, but that's definitely one that got away!
One that I really wanted, but never exactly had an opportunity for, was the Todd Snyder green suede Indy boot.

Neither are super exotic, and fit exactly into the didn't pick up category, but man are they cool!

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1565060

Gentlemen, I wanted to kick off March 2021’s monthly topic. This is now our third monthly topic, and I expect that this one will bring out some fairly interesting stories. Take all the time that you need to think of your personal response, as you got all month to work on a post that suits you and captures your thoughts, so no need to rush to post a response today!

The theme is "The One That Got Away", what I mean by that phrase is which Alden did you either not pick up when you had the opportunity to (had to pass on), sold and now regret it, or something disastrous happened to them? I imagine most will be in the first of these categories, but tossed the third one in there in case someone's puppy chewed up their Color #4 Boot or UPS/FedEx lost their Brassvello LWB. They don't have to be a super exotic, it could be a good old classic as well.

Please reply to this post to make your responses easier to see. Thank you so much and I very much look forward to seeing everyone’s thoughts (and I am sure discussions) this month!

-Mike

The recent Harrisons Dr. Jones Ravello Indy. Had to pass - couldn't justify the expenditure given I run my own business and am trying to keep employees paid.

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brown CXL kind of Monday here
IMG_7079.JPG

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1565060

-Mike
Mine are a pair of Ravello NST boots, that I sold and on the way to ship them, started to regret the decision to sell. I have since rationalized it, by telling myself "They are just boots", but I do regret it.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1565060

-Mike
I can't remember if it was B+M or AOC but one of them had green suede longwings in 2019. I slept on it thinking I'll just get them later only later to find out that Alden discontinued the green suede. I instead bought green suede shortwings from Brogueshop. I still want the green suede LW's but that's not happening any more.

djbanor

Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1565060

-Mike

Natty CXL anything. I was late to appreciate natty CXL and busy picking up other shoes and boots. Then suddenly they were no longer being offered, so I missed out on those. Then I swooned over country calf, only to find out that it was being discontinued as well. My last entry was a green suede and scotch grain LWB. My pair were ordered and paid for in advance, but the retailer was unreliable and after many promises were made and broken, I finally discovered my personal order was vapor-shoes. I consider myself fortunate to recover all my money, but I really would have preferred to have the shoes.

Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 9.36.53 AM.png

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Natty CXL anything. I was late to appreciate natty CXL and busy picking up other shoes and boots. Then suddenly they were no longer being offered, so I missed out on those. Then I swooned over country calf, only to find out that it was being discontinued as well. My last entry was a green suede and scotch grain LWB. My pair were ordered and paid for in advance, but the retailer was unreliable and after many promises were made and broken, I finally discovered my personal order was vapor-shoes. I consider myself fortunate to recover all my money, but I really would have preferred to have the shoes.

View attachment 1565173
Wow! I considered the green suede and scotch grain LWB! Did not realize that they fizzled before take-off. I guess I'm glad I procrastinated on those!

Like they always say, "Procrastination pays off!"

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
View attachment 1565060

-Mike

This is an easy but painful and expensive one for me....

Several years ago I wanted "much nicer" shoes and purchased 4 Brooks Brothers x Alden all at the same time: 1 Black captoe blucher in 10D, 1 Walnut brown Captoe blucher in 10D, 1 Black Penny loafer in 10D, and 1 Brown suede penny loafer in 10D. I immediately had "sole protectors" put on them. I thought they were "too nice" to wear on my daily commute which include a lot of urban walking so they sat in the back of my closet for a few years. When I finally took them out to wear, I realized the bluchers fit well but I really needed a 9.5D for the penny loafers to avoid heel slip (which was really me walking out of the loafers with each step). Back they went into the closet for a few more years to avoid being angry at myself for not trying them on sonner when I may have had a chance to exchange them. A few years later (which was only a few months ago) I sold them at a serious loss because while they were brand new with boxes and bags, having the sole protectors put on them drastically lowered the resale value. Live and learn.

InkedBrroks Brothers Loafers and Bluchers - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow! I considered the green suede and scotch grain LWB! Did not realize that they fizzled before take-off. I guess I'm glad I procrastinated on those!

Like they always say, "Procrastination pays off!"
I was going to respond, but think I'll wait until tomorrow:decisions:

Cruzin56

Reaction score
View attachment 1565060

-Mike

Great topic Mike!

Below are the one two that got away. These are some great makeups, each with the same story. I was interested when I first saw them but wasn’t sure I wanted to purchase. Then a few of you Alden bros started to post some great photos & reviews on this forum wearing these. My fondness of them started to grow. After some time had passed, I realized that I really like these and wanted to buy them.

Long story short, I waited too long to pull the trigger and now they are no longer made/sold out (size 9D).

I should have learned my lesson with the first makeup but I let it happen a second time with other makeup. :brick:

Lesson learned. If I’m interested, be decisive.

Gentlemen footwear’s: Natural CXL Tanker on Barrie with Commando. Perfect causal boot IMHO.

Alden of Carmel: Dark Brown Suede Handsewn U-Tip Saddle Shoe, Barrie Last, Commando Sole. Beautiful, Versatile, and unique makeup. Model AOC-81

darkclassic

Reaction score
Great topic Mike!

Below are the one two that got away. These are some great makeups, each with the same story. I was interested when I first saw them but wasn’t sure I wanted to purchase. Then a few of you Alden bros started to post some great photos & reviews on this forum wearing these. My fondness of them started to grow. After some time had passed, I realized that I really like these and wanted to buy them.

Long story short, I waited too long to pull the trigger and now they are no longer made/sold out (size 9D).

I should have learned my lesson with the first makeup but I let it happen a second time with other makeup. :brick:

Lesson learned. If I’m interested, be decisive.

Gentlemen footwear’s: Natural CXL Tanker on Barrie with Commando. Perfect causal boot IMHO.

Alden of Carmel: Dark Brown Suede Handsewn U-Tip Saddle Shoe, Barrie Last, Commando Sole. Beautiful, Versatile, and unique makeup. Model AOC-81

I had a pair of those GF tankers - very nice. FWIW, this saddle shoe might interest you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads