• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks to Doc’s tutorial.. can do..

I now understand why my Dad didn’t want us kids to get him a computer.. pissed him off big time with us nudging.. was almost sport for us. ?
And I'm the 67 yr old guy who had to teach my kids how to use an actual computer, not a phone :)

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is why I have been so frustrated lately trying to find shoes that fit.
I forgot where I read this, but sizing and fit isn’t so
This is why I have been so frustrated lately trying to find shoes that fit.
It definitely can be frustrating, but I see it as it’s part of the hobby. Sometimes you size’em perfectly, and oh man, is that a dream when it happens. Or...it doesn’t fit. I honestly don’t go by brannock, it makes things confusing for my feet. I’ve learned to use specific last for sizing, and getting to know your feet very well....yeah, it sounds weird. But it definitely helps to avoid sizing mistakes, it’ll definitely subside the occurrence.

Commisar

Reaction score
it's not that simple. FedEx and UPS have a difficult time finding drivers and their workforces are getting older every day. When a 22 year old graduates college with $250k in loans, they will never be able to pay that off working for FedEx or UPS. Americans have been told a lie for many years that everyone must go to college, social media has taken the keeping up with the Jones's to an entirely new level, and the middle class is disappearing as most honest factory jobs have been going off shore. The USPS is having the same issue in that older workers are aging and retiring and the USPS cannot hire new younger workers because the benefits are not as good anymore and Americans are no longer happy with a middle class lifestyle. So, saying that they can just figure it out is not understanding the actual problem.

Ask Mike Row because even he can't even give away money for people to attend trade school.

To bring this back to shoes, cost is not the only reason companies like AE move production offshore. When Alden started it was 1 of many New England shoe makers although now they stand alone. Who is going to make your MUSA Aldens if young people are not willing to learn a trade?

AE has moved their cheapest cemented shoes offshore to the Dominican Republic. I think they also do final assembly of a few makes of welted shoes there, thought they do say it in the product description and they have since 2006 if memory serves. They also have a small outpost in Italy that does handsewn stuff.

Plenty of young people would be happy to entered a trade they simply aren't exposed to them anymore. Remember Shop class.... The one where you learned how to machine things, woodworking, and create? Have fun finding those programs on 98% of highschools. Now you gotta go to trade school or technical school to even see that anymore.

BAK

Reaction score
To bring this back to shoes, cost is not the only reason companies like AE move production offshore. When Alden started it was 1 of many New England shoe makers although now they stand alone. Who is going to make your MUSA Aldens if young people are not willing to learn a trade?
Not saying that couldn't be a factor going forward, but to date cost is actually the only reason all those American companies went offshore. Or at least all the companies I'm thinking of. AE, Nike, New Balance, Timberland, Cole Haan, J&M, Florsheim, Bostonian the list goes on and on. There was no shortage of domestic labor. There were rising labor costs and a desire to keep retail prices as low as possible, typically in tandem with private, family owned companies being bought and going public. Then came the death spiral to offshore.

Last edited:

zargoz

Reaction score
honestly don’t go by brannock, it makes things confusing for my feet. I’ve learned to use specific last for sizing, and getting to know your feet very well....
Best advice anyone can give on the subject. The brannock device only measures two or three parameters of foot geometry and there is tremendous variation amongst individuals. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. I also have found that using feedback from others with respect to a particular reference last is far more useful and accurate than saying "true to size" or "half down" (FWIW the half down thing has never actually worked out for me with any last, ever).

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not saying that couldn't be a factor going forward, but to date cost is actually the only reason all those American companies went offshore. Or at least all the companies I'm thinking of (including AE).

It is a vicious cycle started by Walmart, then Target, and now Amazon. Americans were trained to want cheaper goods. This caused/forced companies to offshore. America lost factory jobs. Now people need cheaper goods because they are in lower paying non-skilled jobs. Americans were then told everyone must go to college. So now nobody wants the few factory jobs that still exist because they only give you a middle class lifestyle. America further splits into wealthy and poor and the middle class is dwindling.

This is a massive oversimplification of a real problem. It is not a political statement. It is not a nationalist statement. It is a statement about how we no longer make anything so in the middle of a pandemic we are relying on China to provide the PPE we so desperately need and they want to keep for themselves. This is not a statement about China either. It is a statement of the USA is going into the toilet and everyone is too blame on some level.

So, we can all buy our fancy shoes at Alden or AE and be proud that they are made in 'Merica but until you start demanding that necessities are made in America and are willing to pay the higher prices for them, we are all doomed and the middle class is really screwed.

/rant over

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alden's scotch grain is low key one of my favorite leathers and is criminally underused.

I would have to agree. I have two pairs and I had to get on a make up list for both. Here are my LWBs in the same leather. I love how casual they are.

IMG_9407 2.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Saturday forum pals. I'm staying at home, but nice boots are still required.

IMG_9736.jpg

htimsdj

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where to get Alden brown boot laces? Not waxed. I just want the regular ones that come with the boots. TSM only lists the black ones on their website.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where to get Alden brown boot laces? Not waxed. I just want the regular ones that come with the boots. TSM only lists the black ones on their website.

Call the Alden store in DC. They just threw in an extra pair of laces with my boots, so they must have plenty in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics