• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

htimsdj

Reaction score
re: Fading -

The nicely faced BB LHS posted a few days ago made me think more about the fading process. I have a few NIB pairs, and I was thinking about fading one of them.

But you have the risk of splotches and other defects. Is there any way to predict this?

I used a flashlight on one pair, and if you get the light correct, you can see the runs and drips in the Alden dye. I am wondering if a different type of light, perhaps a black light, would help show defects under the Alden dye.

Then I start wondering - what kind of light fades? We know that sunlight, visible and not visible, fades the shoes. But what about indoor light? We have all seen faded shoes that are from store displays. I think the flourescent light in store displays fades to some degree, and that it fades in a different way than sunlight.

Just some random thoughts as I wait for a counter top installer to arrive ...

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The nicely faced BB LHS posted a few days ago made me think more about the fading process. I have a few NIB pairs, and I was thinking about fading one of them.

But you have the risk of splotches and other defects. Is there any way to predict this?

I used a flashlight on one pair, and if you get the light correct, you can see the runs and drips in the Alden dye. I am wondering if a different type of light, perhaps a black light, would help show defects under the Alden dye.

Then I start wondering - what kind of light fades? We know that sunlight, visible and not visible, fades the shoes. But what about indoor light? We have all seen faded shoes that are from store displays. I think the flourescent light in store displays fades to some degree, and that it fades in a different way than sunlight.

I have wondered if indoor plant grow lights, or "sun" lamps would fade as well. Sitting boots or shoes outside does work, and seems to work well, but agree, there must be an indoor option out there. Or maybe not. I think display shoes fade due to sunlight coming through the storefront windows over a long time.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, definitely run the risk of uncovering defects and not sure if you can actually predict it.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have wondered if indoor plant grow lights, or "sun" lamps would fade as well. Sitting boots or shoes outside does work, and seems to work well, but agree, there must be an indoor option out there. Or maybe not. I think display shoes fade due to sunlight coming through the storefront windows over a long time.
+1 on in store fading

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If you're worried about uneven fading, then I would say fading isn't for you. You'd find panels don't fade evenly, and there may be scars or discolorations. Unless the finish is light enough for you to see it, you won't be able to predict where the blemishes are. Either way, it's basically impossible to guarantee an even fade.

You need full spectrum lighting for the best fading results. UV is a major contributor, but so is visible and solar heat. Interior lights basically are never going to show appreciable fading...it'll take a couple years before you are where you are wanting. I consider that basically no fading due to time frame. If you have coated glass that cuts UV, your fading will basically be pushed down to leaving it directly in light for a year.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's Boot weather!!!
Another 379x lasted boot for the morning
IMG_2852.jpeg
IMG_2855.jpeg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! Who did the resole?

Thank you! Aram the cobbler! He was referred by @Shawnc and I've had him do two resoles for me now. VERY happy!

Well now I want to resole my crepe longwings to double leather.

Do it!! I got these off eBay and am SO happy I did it.

I have the same question. I've been wanting to change the sole on my milkshake suede indys that have crepe. They are comfortable but I just hate the appearance of crepe on them. Was going to either go to waterloc type or neocork.

You need to do it! Super easy resole. Send it to Aram the cobbler (AH One Shoes); he uses Alden factory material and can put waterloc or neocork on. I chose double JR and am thrilled.

PS: I'd love a pair of millkshade suede Indys!! :D

tumbled calfskin

Thank you!

Leather.

Sorry, couldn't resist. actually its calfskin that has been tumbled and has a pebbly texture and is VERY soft to the hand(and foot).

Always knew you'd give me the smart*** answer :crackup:

Very interesting, thank you! It looks very nice!

X_dSF

Reaction score
This white spot happened on one of my acquaintance's boot. Not sure how this happened, he told me the spot is under the surface and cannot removed by brush. I think it should be a kind of blooming but never heard/seen any blooming goes under the surface. Any thoughts?
169510c5df8797c92907c74cad66420.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This white spot happened on one of my acquaintance's boot. Not sure how this happened, he told me the spot is under the surface and cannot removed by brush. I think it should be a kind of blooming but never heard/seen any blooming goes under the surface. Any thoughts? View attachment 1400946
Acrylic finish was damaged. Can strip it off with a bit of acetone in that area, or do some wet sanding with bick 4 (or similar) and 2000+ grit paper.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This white spot happened on one of my acquaintance's boot. Not sure how this happened, he told me the spot is under the surface and cannot removed by brush. I think it should be a kind of blooming but never heard/seen any blooming goes under the surface. Any thoughts? View attachment 1400946
Might try a micro fiber cloth with some Venetian shoe cream or comparable on it and good pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads