• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The best thing I have found is the Saphir pommadier cream shoe polish in Burgundy 08. Not the Cordovan specific cream. This is more purple than the Cordovan cream they make, which has a bit of a brown hue to it.
I will have to get some to keep a couple pair that eggplant color. One pair, my color 8 Indy's, I have embraced the fade and am now setting them in the sun to fade even more, maybe get to color 4?

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they look good! I was at the tailor last week and he talked me out of 2" cuffs (settled on 1.5 inches). I'm only 5' 10" though

Thank you :p. The tailor tried to talk me down, but I wouldn't back down :p They aren't used to that large.

Ah ok that makes sense. I am 6'7'' so the cuffs aren't out of place. I've thought about going a bit larger, but don't know if it would look crazy.

I think a tweed type fabric would look killer with bigger cuffs.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I asked on facebook and came up with a few options and remembered I should check here too. That said:

Indy in brown country calf. What special makeups are out there for it? I know the one across the pond with the crepe sole but I'm curious what else is out there.
I haven't seen an Indy in BROWN country calf, have a pair in tan, but brown would be kind of cool, but not on crepe sole.....

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you :p. The tailor tried to talk me down, but I wouldn't back down :p They aren't used to that large.

Ah ok that makes sense. I am 6'7'' so the cuffs aren't out of place. I've thought about going a bit larger, but don't know if it would look crazy.

I think a tweed type fabric would look killer with bigger cuffs.
2" cuffs would be about right for a 6'7" person, any larger and they wouldn't look "right". The goal of cuffs is to have the trousers hang right and be in proportion to the rest of the drape. But WtF do I know....do what you like and like what you do.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2" cuffs would be about right for a 6'7" person, any larger and they wouldn't look "right". The goal of cuffs is to have the trousers hang right and be in proportion to the rest of the drape. But WtF do I know....do what you like and like what you do.

That was my concern, haha.

I thought a tweedy fabric could maybe be a hair more than 2'' just to be visually stylish. I don't have any such fabrics, but at the time I have the money for a custom tweed pant/suit I may just have to try it :D

I had a pair of pants with 1.25'' cuffs and had them removed immediately!. I looked like Pee-Wee Herman :rotflmao:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen an Indy in BROWN country calf, have a pair in tan, but brown would be kind of cool, but not on crepe sole.....

Epaulet did one on commando a long time ago. Not sure Alden has any more brown CC. My understanding is they are out of the leather.

adrs1157

Reaction score
Wings in Colour 8
#KingWingDay

2ds7lPT.jpg

X_dSF

Reaction score
Pretty curious in the difference between cigar shell and mocha shell...it's pretty hard to find the info and discussion of mocha shells (only 2-4 pages I would say) comparing to cigar ravello and whiskey.

The existing photos and discussion sounds like mocha is just a deeper version of cigar. Is that true?

Any thoughts?

djbanor

Reaction score
Pretty curious in the difference between cigar shell and mocha shell...it's pretty hard to find the info and discussion of mocha shells (only 2-4 pages I would say) comparing to cigar ravello and whiskey.

The existing photos and discussion sounds like mocha is just a deeper version of cigar. Is that true?

Any thoughts?
If Alden could stop spraying color 8 dye on mocha shell, we might actually be able to have a discussion.

From the two pairs I've had, I would say it's somewhere between cigar and color 8. Then again, they could be cigar dye sprayed on color 8 or color 8 on cigar. Hard to know.

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20191202141004903.jpg
IMG_20190923_135824.jpg

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Alden could stop spraying color 8 dye on mocha shell, we might actually be able to have a discussion.

From the two pairs I've had, I would say it's somewhere between cigar and color 8. Then again, they could be cigar dye sprayed on color 8 or color 8 on cigar. Hard to know.

View attachment 1399249
View attachment 1399250

This is really helpful as I have wondered that myself. I always looked at mocha as darker than cigar without the olive undertones (I swear I don't even know what that means). So my only question is which is which? I assume the splits are cigar and the caps mocha.

X_dSF

Reaction score

View attachment 1399249
View attachment 1399250
Thanks for sharing your experience and pics sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads