• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Anyone have experience with the wedge soles? I’ve been seeing them pop up more frequently.
I just tried the code on an already discounted Alden model and it worked. $335 for the slip on chukkas, if that’s your speed.

schweezly

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Anyone have experience with the wedge soles? I’ve been seeing them pop up more frequently.

Interested as well. I’ve been eyeing those Indy’s or the suede Barrie boots

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have a couple pair of boots with the wedge sole and it is very comfortable to walk in, kind of "springy" if that makes sense. I have only had the boots for a few months, so can't speak as to longevity of the sole. One pair, S&S boot has been in rotation at least once a week since mid summer and can't tell any wear on sole yet, just discoloration due to wear.
IMG_2492.jpeg
IMG_2604.jpeg

windriver

Reaction score
My first post here... looking for some newbie help.

I have modest collection of Rancourt and Thorogood 1892 boots that I quite like. I would like to dip my toes into the Alden brand and I am looking for some pointed advice. I would like a semi-dressy pair of shell boots. Something that can be worn with trousers to denim. I really like the no8 color perhaps with the brass or gold eyes and hooks. What models should I entertain - the Tanker? Some broguing would welcome, but not looking at a wingtip.

Again - I am still learning about Alden and am a bit overwhelmed by all the great info in this thread. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Further - if anyone has any experience with the fit of the 1892 Thorogood boots in comparison to Alden please let me know your thoughts.

(LOL in the time it took me to write this the post above #8 tanker post appeared - it must be a sign...)

Thanks

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first post here... looking for some newbie help.

I have modest collection of Rancourt and Thorogood 1892 boots that I quite like. I would like to dip my toes into the Alden brand and I am looking for some pointed advice. I would like a semi-dressy pair of shell boots. Something that can be worn with trousers to denim. I really like the no8 color perhaps with the brass or gold eyes and hooks. What models should I entertain - the Tanker? Some broguing would welcome, but not looking at a wingtip.

Again - I am still learning about Alden and am a bit overwhelmed by all the great info in this thread. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Further - if anyone has any experience with the fit of the 1892 Thorogood boots in comparison to Alden please let me know your thoughts.

(LOL in the time it took me to write this the post above #8 tanker post appeared - it must be a sign...)

Thanks

Most of Alden's color 8 boots would fit the bill but specifically I'd probably look at tankers, cap toe boots (including the perforated cap toe) or maybe even an Indy (dresses up fairly well in shell). Note that Alden won't do brass or gold eyelets with color 8 so you'd have to have an experienced cobbler add those after the fact.

Luis G

Reaction score
I received my Alden 4461H in Color #8 Shell size 7.5E. It unfortunately was too way too large however AOSF has dispatched a replacement 7E. They have great service.

I love the color more than Allen Edmonds Burgandy and craftsmanship albeit the 7.5E I ordered had a defect in the front (bottom of medallion is covered by a welt that went a bit too far up the last).

hoser133

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm mainly worried about stuff other than water staining (grease, oils) after seeing some stains on suede that wouldn't go away.

Probably won’t hurt it as much as the pup.

What I've seen says not to use it. I've got Alden Leather Defender, but shell doesn't have much problem with water.

Sean, from Leffot, essentially told me I was wasting money to put any type of “defender” on shell as it’s so tough against water. It’s a tough tactic to take after the investment but that’s what I was told.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm mainly worried about stuff other than water staining (grease, oils) after seeing some stains on suede that wouldn't go away.
Having had a suede stain that wouldn't go away, and having to darken the suede on rest of boots to match the stain, I would suggest Tarrago Nano Spray for suede. Haven't had an issue with stuff spilling on suede since started using it. Things just bead up and wipe off.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oil is harder than water to repel and remove. If you haven't tried the Saphir suede shampoo, I like it a lot, though I'm pretty sure a natural baby's shampoo would work fairly well too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads