• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiggyv

Reaction score
Any idea why unlined LHS is built slimmer and tighter?

I have pair of unline LHS and a shell LHS, comparing both side by side looking at the sole, you can see that it is defintely slimmer on the unlined.
Also the strap is tighter as well, to the point 99% of the time i wear them barefoot, and it gets worse on a hot day.

My understanding is that the unlined cordovan can be wrapped around the last tighter as it is more flexible. This leads to a 1/4 size or so size difference (I my experience).

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen. I just received my seventh pair of Alden and found an issue I've never seen before. May I ask for your opinions?

As shown in the photos below, the heel is not level with the front part of the outsole. Same for both of the shoes. So I tried them on, and I felt that only the front edge of the heel is touching the floor. If I rest my body weight completely on the heels, however, the forefoot will be off the floor.

It feels really weird, and none of my other six pairs of Alden have this problem. Is there something wrong with the construction of these shoes, or that they just need some wear and then my body weight will level the heel and the sole?

View attachment 929885
View attachment 929886
View attachment 929887
View attachment 929888

Thank you for your attention, gentlemen!
I’ve had this before from other makers with double leather soles. One day of wear and it was perfectly normal.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barrie WTB on double waterloc, courtesy of Alden SF.

9D7F5F44-3E68-4304-8922-BFE20D293B70.jpeg
D07717AA-526D-4982-8691-D4EFF398842E.jpeg

Phangtonpower

Reaction score
Hi all.

I started a thread on sizing, but nobody bit, so I'm going to try on here.

I live in the country side of Japan so I have no way to try Aldens on. Plus they charge 40% tax on imports, so I would like to get as close as possible to the right size.

I want to order a pair of 975 longwings. I own some loake loafers, churches, clarks, and adidas all in a size 10D, but the only shoes that I can compare my size to are two pair of Allen Edmond mac Neil's. Both used. My first pair were barley worn 10D in Calf. They fit ok, but are a little tight in the toe box. They are still comfortable with a little wiggle room. At first they were pinching my pinky toe, but after a few wears, they are fine. The second pair are also 10D in cordovan. These are well worn and the last owner really stretched them out as they fit a little roomier than my calf pair.

I know it is recommended to size 1/2 a step down when buying the barrie last, but because my AE's fit slightly tight, I was wondering if a 10D would be good since I want just a little more room in the two box, or is the barrie last that much longer and wider that a 9 1/2D is a better choice?

Thanks

manasdirge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just acquired these unlined chukka, Barrie last is not as slim as I thought and D width fits nicely, I am glad I didn't size down.
BTW, can anyone tell me if the white things around the inside soles/uppers glues? some of those fell off and feels crisp, not affecting fit at moment but I'm curious.
8231271_1519303207450.jpg
8231271_1519303207438.jpg
8231271_1519303215568.jpg

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

3fltenant

Reaction score
Hi all.

I live in the country side of Japan so I have no way to try Aldens on. Plus they charge 40% tax on imports, so I would like to get as close as possible to the right size.

I want to order a pair of 975 longwings. I own some loake loafers, churches, clarks, and adidas all in a size 10D, but the only shoes that I can compare my size to are two pair of Allen Edmond mac Neil's. Both used. My first pair were barley worn 10D in Calf. They fit ok, but are a little tight in the toe box. They are still comfortable with a little wiggle room. At first they were pinching my pinky toe, but after a few wears, they are fine. The second pair are also 10D in cordovan. These are well worn and the last owner really stretched them out as they fit a little roomier than my calf pair.

I know it is recommended to size 1/2 a step down when buying the barrie last, but because my AE's fit slightly tight, I was wondering if a 10D would be good since I want just a little more room in the two box, or is the barrie last that much longer and wider that a 9 1/2D is a better choice?

Thanks

No expert but I actually bought a pair of barrie boots in my true size but only because i wear heavy socks with them. For a shoe that you will wear light socks I recommend sizing 1/2 down.

DWH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

Thanks
I also have tried AE MacNeil (new and calfskin) and I found the same tightness on my pinky toe. I ordered the same size in Alden shell Longwings and it was spacious. I would say it fit but loosely around my heel and instep. I am sure they would have worked fine with thicker socks or some sort of insert like @misterg uses, for example. I returned them and did not try the half-size down because I wasn’t ready to buy. For the price, I would want to be sure of the size and would wait until I’m traveling to a large city to find a retailer. That’s just me. Good luck!

hoser133

Reaction score
ok guys, I reached out to Alden and they had me send the shoes back. I got a call yesterday saying they can't do anything with them. Who has any other cobblers that may be able to repair these? I've reached out to AH one and he said that he can't do anything with them as well. Any other ideas? I know it's a long shot.
LmJWg91LSOWK+89iuDQkXA.jpg

Phangtonpower

Reaction score
I also have tried AE MacNeil (new and calfskin) and I found the same tightness on my pinky toe. I ordered the same size in Alden shell Longwings and it was spacious. I would say it fit but loosely around my heel and instep. I am sure they would have worked fine with thicker socks or some sort of insert like @misterg uses, for example. I returned them and did not try the half-size down because I wasn’t ready to buy. For the price, I would want to be sure of the size and would wait until I’m traveling to a large city to find a retailer. That’s just me. Good luck!
I agree but the problem is the only stores that seem to sell Aldens are in Tokyo. That is an 8 hour and at least $120 road trip just to try on shoes. I would still need a place to stay for the night plus food. And I really don't have much money. I've been saving for these shoes and they cost $1300 to $2500 sometimes used and they sit for a longtime because no one really buys these shoes.

My cousin is coming next year and he could bring them and I can save on the 40% tax. The longwing I'm looking at are from Carmel and they are gracious enough to extend their return policy, but I don't know if Japan will charge me the 40% tax if Carmel has to ship them back.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I agree but the problem is the only stores that seem to sell Aldens are in Tokyo. That is an 8 hour and at least $120 road trip just to try on shoes. I would still need a place to stay for the night plus food. And I really don't have much money. I've been saving for these shoes and they cost $1300 to $2500 sometimes used and they sit for a longtime because no one really buys these shoes.

My cousin is coming next year and he could bring them and I can save on the 40% tax. The longwing I'm looking at are from Carmel and they are gracious enough to extend their return policy, but I don't know if Japan will charge me the 40% tax if Carmel has to ship them back.

Where's the 40% tax coming from?
If you ship them back from Japan to US, there shouldn't be any US customs due since it's a made in USA product and it's returned goods. Just make sure the customs declaration form is correctly filled out. Shipping won't be cheap though.

takashi78

Reaction score
My understanding is that the unlined cordovan can be wrapped around the last tighter as it is more flexible. This leads to a 1/4 size or so size difference (I my experience).

Sorry i meant to say the unlined pair of LHS i have is suede.
Comparing it to my lined LHS cordovan.

Twin Screw

Reaction score
Good Morning from the best coast... the West Coast. First contact and wanted to just say hello. I am Rod by the way, no Alden shoes just yet, close to purchasing my first pair and want them to be Indy boots in shell (might be seconds for first go around). I have multiple pairs of AE Mcallister wingtips size 12D and two pairs of Redwing boots 875 and 9075 in 11.5D. Love the forum and the information. Have been part of other forums in watches and sneakers and always find it great to get information first from those who have it and are enthusiasts of the product.

Humble to be here.

V/R
Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52