• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone wants to buy my spot on Epaulet Brixton Wing #8 shell boot size 12 rumored to be delivered in December let me know. The down payment was $200

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ravello scotch grain shell cordovan LHSs

Shell scotch grain is...interesting. I had a pair of Rider boots in Mahogany shell grain. They do not get that luster/shine regular shell does...but they are a shinier scotch grain than standard scotch grain.

Last edited:

ac_slater

Reaction score
Is it really un-advisable to remove the heel liner from Aldens? The raised nature of the heel pad is killing the bottom of my heels even after some break in. I never have this problem with AE and Wolverine.

Is it possible to just take out the heel pod and leave in the lining?

Last edited:

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is it really un-advisable to remove the heel liner from Aldens? The raised nature of the heel pad is killing the bottom of my heels even after some break in. I never have this problem with AE and Wolverine.

The sockliner (as it's called) isn't 100% necessary, but what it's doing is protecting your foot from exposed nails. When the heel is added onto the shoe, nails are driven in, and stopped by a metal plate on the bottom of the last. Then they're covered over. So if you remove the sock liner, you'll need to replace it with something else, like a full insole. But you won't be able to just leave it unexposed.

AE and Wolverine don't have this problem because they don't use nails to attach the heel stack, they just cement it on (making them less structurally sound).

ac_slater

Reaction score

The sockliner (as it's called) isn't 100% necessary, but what it's doing is protecting your foot from exposed nails. When the heel is added onto the shoe, nails are driven in, and stopped by a metal plate on the bottom of the last. Then they're covered over. So if you remove the sock liner, you'll need to replace it with something else, like a full insole. But you won't be able to just leave it unexposed.

AE and Wolverine don't have this problem because they don't use nails to attach the heel stack, they just cement it on (making them less structurally sound).

Is it possible to peel back the liner, remove the heel pad that's raising it up, and stick the liner back down to protect me?

It's not the liner that's bothering me. It's that darn raised bump under it.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to peel back the liner, remove the heel pad that's raising it up, and stick the liner back down to protect me?

The padding is one in the same with the sockliner I believe, so that wouldn't work. I suppose you could remove the whole thing and replace with just a thin piece of unlined leather.

Last edited:

ac_slater

Reaction score

The padding is one in the same with the sockliner I believe, so that wouldn't work. I suppose you could remove the whole thing and replace with just a thin piece of unlined leather.

Supposedly this is a diagram of how Alden's are generally constructed. Looks like they are separate pieces.

rmconstructionnv4.jpg

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't be Alden. This is a Blake stitched shoe, with the soles stitched directly to the insole.

Alden uses Goodyear Welts.

suuteebird

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What have been your experiences purchasing Alden seconds at the Shoe Mart? Have you had good luck? Acceptable defects?

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What have been your experiences purchasing Alden seconds at the Shoe Mart? Have you had good luck? Acceptable defects?
I've kept the vast majority of them and in several instances I'd say they were better than some first quality pairs I've gotten from retailers. I'd also be hard pressed to tell you what the defect was on a few them and if you have to look that carefully it cant be that bad. Ive seen a few that I sent back immediately but overall it is a positive experience just not as good a deal as it once was on a dollar value but sometimes that doesnt matter when you find a style you could never find elsewhere.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I usually remove it on all my boots and replace with a think taco insole. So much more comfortable. It's worse with Viberg as the leather they use for the heel pad is so thick.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the ptbs from Frans boone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics