• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobiasfunke

Reaction score
If you're talking about the split in the welt, that's actually the construction technique. It's the Seam where the two ends of the welt strip are joined together. Alden doesn't finish it over as cleanly as UK makers, but that looks like a decent job, actually.

So not a defect. Unless you're talking about something else in the photo that I'm unable to see on my iPhone...
Thanks for clarifying. What about the thread fraying in the second picture?

mrfixit

Reaction score
It's funny to me how Leathersoul can't shake this reputation of giving preferential treatment to its best customers (despite seemingly not having rare shell to give out for years now)... when in fact most other retailers do the same thing and no one says a word. Do you think just any customer had a chance at a first quality Whiskey Shell NST Boot? One just magically appeared on the seconds list...

it's not the practice, it's the attitude. just about any other retailer will at least tell you they can add you to an email list or a wish list. LS will basically tell you you're not elite enough or act like they have no idea what they might ever get.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for clarifying. What about the thread fraying in the second picture?

I think it's par for the course. Your soles not gonna detach or anything. Honestly, I had to turn my screen brightness all the way up and squint to notice it, so I really doubt it's going to be visible while wearing. Of course, if the knowledge it's there is going to eat away at you, then TSM has a reasonable return policy.

But those seem in spec to me. There are other brands that specialize in perfection of all the minor details, but Alden isn't one of them.

I would wear and enjoy if it were me.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's not the practice, it's the attitude. just about any other retailer will at least tell you they can add you to an email list or a wish list. LS will basically tell you you're not elite enough or act like they have no idea what they might ever get.

+1, definitely my gripe with them. Other retailers do this to a more limited extent, but nothing on the level of LS.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
ALDEN NATURAL CXL INNSBRUCK ALT WIEN

Hey guys! These beauties have finally arrived:

Alden for Epaulet Innsbruck Alt Wien Natural Chromexcel: $575

We've got about 10 units of open stock available for immediate sale. If you preordered these, then expect an email from Dylan shortly with the balance payment link.

tobiasfunke

Reaction score
I think it's par for the course. Your soles not gonna detach or anything. Honestly, I had to turn my screen brightness all the way up and squint to notice it, so I really doubt it's going to be visible while wearing. Of course, if the knowledge it's there is going to eat away at you, then TSM has a reasonable return policy.

But those seem in spec to me. There are other brands that specialize in perfection of all the minor details, but Alden isn't one of them.

I would wear and enjoy if it were me.
I appreciate the input. Now I just need to make sure these are the correct size. (Disclaimer: I have little experience properly fitting dress shoes)

I'm a 10D on the Brannock with a fairly high instep, and I got a 9.5D in these (9901). My first impression looking at them was that they looked big next to my feet (again, probably my inexperience).

Anyway, I tried them on with some thin dress socks. The ball of my foot matches up the widest point of the shoe, and there's what I'm guessing is a about an inch or so of dead space in front my big toe. I'm able to wiggle my toes, and the toe box feels comfortable overall.

Walking around, the heel doesn't feel 100% snug. I wouldn't call it heel slip, it feels more like a slight wiggle as I step down on my heel. Is this normal? Will this become more of a problem later on (from what I read, shell cordovan doesn't stretch much)?

Based on what I've described, would you guys say I sized these correctly? Or do I need to go down another half size?

Last edited:

fal32

Reaction score

I appreciate the input. Now I just need to make sure these are the correct size. (Disclaimer: I have little experience properly fitting dress shoes)

I'm a 10D on the Brannock with a fairly high instep, and I got a 9.5D in these (9901). My first impression looking at them was that they looked big next to my feet (again, probably my inexperience).

Anyway, I tried them on with some thin dress socks. The ball of my foot matches up the widest point of the shoe, and there's what I'm guessing is a about an inch or so of dead space in front my big toe. I'm able to wiggle my toes, and the toe box feels comfortable overall.

Walking around, the heel doesn't feel 100% snug. I wouldn't call it heel slip, it feels more like a slight wiggle as I step down on my heel. Is this normal? Will this become more of a problem later on (from what I read, shell cordovan doesn't stretch much).

Based on what I've described, would you guys say I sized these correctly? Or do I need to go down another half size?

It sounds like you have the right size...just need to break the sole in.

Matty123

Reaction score
Secret Alden FB groups. Elitists

I'm trolling and a bit jealous.

Last edited:

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Cigar Cordovan LongWings:
IMG_0586_zpsezjelrmz.jpg

Happy Tuesday!

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Walking around, the heel doesn't feel 100% snug. I wouldn't call it heel slip, it feels more like a slight wiggle as I step down on my heel. Is this normal? Will this become more of a problem later on (from what I read, shell cordovan doesn't stretch much)?

Yeah, I'll echo that it sounds as if you've sized correctly. There's a layer of cork between the insole and outsole that your heel will compress and sink in, and the outsole will flex as the shoe breaks in, reducing the heel slip.

TO Tie Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Handcuffed Congrats on the NST boot!

I got the notification on FB right away and was close to pulling the trigger but then I remembered I have the Whiskey NST shoe. Hope the flaw is nothing major and you get to beat them up some!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads