• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like a fair policy. I've purchased 4 pairs from AoM in the last year and a half or so, but I'm sure I'm still a small fish to their regulars. I prefer the DC model of just waiting, which doesn't bother me at all if it takes years to fulfill.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker, will finally start posting a bit. Ugh. Tried for those cigars from Alden NY. Saw the email after 4 minutes, sent my reply after 9. Wasn't even close to getting them. I wish they'd just raise the price a bit to get the eBay guys to stop buying them and let them last for at least 20 minutes or so. :p FWIW, I've never actually bought from them, so I guess I'll get passed over in the future even if I reply immediately. I can't be too disappointed though, as I have Whiskey bluchers coming thanks to a helpful post here from yesterday. :) Will post a pic of my collection when I get my 3-year old tobacco calf plain toe boots back from Roleclub / Brian the Bootmaker.

Next time just send the email immediately. No sense hesitating, because if you end up not wanting them, you can always decline to send a deposit and they will offer the next one down the line.

Missed the cutoff by three names. It would have been nice to have a cigar shell balmoral but no worries...You guys ever heard of Edward Green?
wink.gif

Someone still might end up deciding not to put down the deposit. And yes, he's a nice chap, making me some boots at the moment.

swils8610

Reaction score
Was there some shell whiskey boots that might be available someone mentioned earlier?

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Next time just send the email immediately. No sense hesitating, because if you end up not wanting them, you can always decline to send a deposit and they will offer the next one down the line.

Someone still might end up deciding not to put down the deposit. And yes, he's a nice chap, making me some boots at the moment.

Yeah there is always hope! But I'm not going to be too disappointed. That Eddy sure is a busy guy...he's got 4 boots in the pipeline for me as well!

TO Tie Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have bought 5-6 pairs from Madison and they have always been quite accommodating. The only problem I see with this is that there is no real transparency. What is the arbitrary cut-off for the number of pairs bought from them? Are you still a good customer if you haven't bought in a year? Perhaps they should only send out e-mails to past customers? I don't know.

I didn't mind the old, we have stock, email us, model. I saw the e-mail immediately and I passed as I have enough coming in but I knew they would be gone quick!

As a note, the Whiskey wingtip boots from 2 years ago took 4 hours to sell out, and the ravello swb took nearly a day!

cander49

Reaction score
Haha yeah, I should have, but felt it wise to check in with my wife before blowing $700 on another pair of shoes. I also really didn't see it selling out in 2-3 minutes. Oh well; I would've been 2 minutes too slow anyway even had I messaged back instantly upon seeing it. Stupid promotions inbox on Gmail... Need to make sure those show up in the main inbox instead...

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have bought 5-6 pairs from Madison and they have always been quite accommodating. The only problem I see with this is that there is no real transparency. What is the arbitrary cut-off for the number of pairs bought from them? Are you still a good customer if you haven't bought in a year? Perhaps they should only send out e-mails to past customers? I don't know.

I didn't mind the old, we have stock, email us, model. I saw the e-mail immediately and I passed as I have enough coming in but I knew they would be gone quick!

As a note, the Whiskey wingtip boots from 2 years ago took 4 hours to sell out, and the ravello swb took nearly a day!

i don't think their list was as large back then. many people didn't know about the email list until those boots came about.

TO Tie Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i don't think their list was as large back then. many people didn't know about the email list until those boots came about.

Yes, because the list was only available in store. I believe I went in 2012 or 2013 and had my name handwritten in a book to get the e-mails about new stock.

They did open it up to everyone last year which obviously caused an explosion in numbers.

shunted22

Reaction score
I replied almost instantly and felt pretty good about it- lo and behold, I'm one of the lucky few. Can't wait until September for these babies.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haha yeah, I should have, but felt it wise to check in with my wife before blowing $700 on another pair of shoes. I also really didn't see it selling out in 2-3 minutes. Oh well; I would've been 2 minutes too slow anyway even had I messaged back instantly upon seeing it. Stupid promotions inbox on Gmail... Need to make sure those show up in the main inbox instead...
A noble and admirable, yet foreign concept that does not constrain most of your boot competition...

Last edited:

totalair1

Reaction score
A noble and admirable, yet foreign concept that does not constrain most of your boot competition...

Better to ask forgiveness later than to not get to play!
Not something you can do all the time but there's times when its the only way.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads