• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden chocolate Suede Tankers 4.12

My favorite non shell Alden model. Great boot dennis

gertjan123

Reaction score

This might be the Enabler Post of the Year. :)  

By the way, are the wing tip boots on the Barrie last? And do you know if they have D widths? I guess I should just give them a call...

Last edited:

gertjan123

Reaction score
Hi, they are on the military (379x) last. Fits more or less like the barrie with a round nose. No d models.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In honor of incoming Whiskey NST Tanker Boots.

Alden Ravello NST Boot. Epaulet Silver Shadow Merino Wool Windowpane Walt Trousers.

-Mike

Your Ravello NST boots inspire me to wear mine soon! Looking great.

The only Vibergs I owned almost killed me due to the slippery Dainite soles. I also like being able to get boots in wide widths...

Better tanker photos:

Gorgeous boots - I saw a pair in person at Leffot, and they are stunning.

Haven't rocked these in awhile. Ravello LWB in the rain, as they were meant to be worn. From Alden DC, of which IMO is the best Alden shop.

Nice LWBs, and agreed, DC is definitely one of the best Alden shops out there.

Alden Black Shell LHS. Alden Black Shell Belt.

-Mike

Fantastic jacket, Mike! And the rest of it, as well.

black indy

Black shell is so underrated it's ridiculous.

Well I'm super excited, because today I got my Snuff WTB's from Yenni! They look great and they are extremely well-finished.

Pix:

With the Snuff belt from Epaulet

The finished areas of the welt look great - the pix are harsher than the reality...

Apologies for the soul-less office environment - better shots at some point...

Full Album: http://imgur.com/a/LJ3Pe

Congrats! Alden's snuff suede is fantastic.

RevisIsland

Reaction score

This might be the Enabler Post of the Year. :)  

By the way, are the wing tip boots on the Barrie last? And do you know if they have D widths? I guess I should just give them a call...

Without going back and searching, I believe that these were not on barrie and there were only E's? 379X last? Or something like that.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi, they are on the military (379x) last. Fits more or less like the barrie with a round nose. No d models.

379x fits similar to barrie but with a narrow waist and high arch support. more like a combo of barrie/modified last. my fat feet could not take the extra arch support.

zennypoo

Reaction score

Woo hoo! Been wanting this makeup for quite some time. I'm 100% in.

:slayer::slayer:

I already tried to get a similar makeup off the ground. Alden will no longer produce black shell and antique edge boots. They say it is problematic for them although I am unsure why.

The epaulet and leffot boots are the last 2 makeups they will be doing that has black shell/antique edging.

If you hear otherwise, I am in.

I was under the same impression as well, however I spoke to a store yesterday and they seem confident black shell + antique is still possible. I'll confirm it and will add you to the list if it's possible!

I feel like I go in circles every time I want to buy a new pair...

[COLOR=222222]Looking to figure out plaza last boot sizing:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]My brannock size is between 7E-7EE (closer to EE). [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]I unfortunately only have the option for 7E or 7.5D or E (Can't do 7EE otherwise that would be my best option)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]For reference, [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]7.5D Grant Captoe boots are probably a bit long and a little tight width wise[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]7.5E Grant Captoe boots feel even roomer length wise and just right width wise.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]7D Plaza boot is very tight width wise (can't really tell length wise, but seem just right)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]6.5E UK C&J 325, more then enough length, just enough width, slightly tight on right foot[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Appreciate any advice![/COLOR]

I'd go either 7E on plaza or even 7.5E, I think 7E will likely be the better choice. The grant in 7.5E is just a tad longer than plaza in the same size, and since the grant is too long, 7E in plaza sounds just about right.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I was under the same impression as well, however I spoke to a store yesterday and they seem confident black shell + antique is still possible. I'll confirm it and will add you to the list if it's possible!
What is the model again? I thought it was #8 with black edge Plaza CT.

neelp3

Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I'd go either 7E on plaza or even 7.5E, I think 7E will likely be the better choice. The grant in 7.5E is just a tad longer than plaza in the same size, and since the grant is too long, 7E in plaza sounds just about right.

Thanks!

I think I'll go with the 7E. I tried a plaza 7E and it was just snug enough where the tip of my outside toes were touching, should be ok after some where in.

zennypoo

Reaction score

What is the model again?  I thought it was #8 with black edge Plaza CT.  
What is the model again?  I thought it was #8 with black edge Plaza CT.  

Actually there are two gMTOs I'm trying to put together:

1.) Color 8 plaza captoe boot, all metal eyelets, flat 270 degree welt, black edge, double leather sole
2.) Black shell barrie Indy boot, metal eyelets + hooks, 360 split welt with antique edge, commando sole

Thanks!  

I think I'll go with the 7E.  I tried a plaza 7E and it was just snug enough where the tip of my outside toes were touching, should be ok after some where in.

Was the plaza you tried shell or other material? It depends on how you like your shoes to fit (snug or loose) but I would not expect/depend on stretch with wear, especially with shell. The cork footbed will settle after break in and your feet will drop a bit into the shoe, but usually that's not significant enough to alter the fit. In my experience suede and CXL will stretch with wear, some people will even size down to compensate, but shell will never stretch. So if you are ok with the outside toes touching, then 7E is fine, otherwise I'd size up to 7.5E.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those are beautiful @MrDV! Are they modified? I don't recall a black shell Indy boot with antique edging before!
Thank you zenny, yes modified. Best of luck w your gmto.
I feel like I go in circles every time I want to buy a new pair... [COLOR=222222]Looking to figure out plaza last boot sizing:[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]My brannock size is between 7E-7EE (closer to EE). [/COLOR] [COLOR=222222] [/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]I unfortunately only have the option for 7E or 7.5D or E (Can't do 7EE otherwise that would be my best option)[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222] [/COLOR] [COLOR=222222] [COLOR=222222]Appreciate any advice![/COLOR]
I don't like tight shoes. I would try 7.5E plaza.
In honor of incoming Whiskey NST Tanker Boots. Alden Ravello NST Boot. Epaulet Silver Shadow Merino Wool Windowpane Walt Trousers.
Fantastic boots Mike. Your boots look even crispier than Tifosi's.
14OZ whiskey boot. Still available in limited sizes. These boots were available since oktober 2015. The run on rare shell is/was not yet a race here.
Great boots and thank you for all the euro retail Intel.
Black shell is so underrated it's ridiculous.
Thank you sir.
Cigar Atom Blucher x Leffot today.
So nice. I've always wanted a pair.
Some (worn) Ravello NST boots today :)
Outstanding sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads