• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good call. Mine have found more wear than any other footwear since they arrived a few weeks ago. Footwear normally needs time to find a place in the rotation, but these did not.

They definitely fill a void. I have these, #8 Tankers and chocolate suede Tankers on order...this just adds to the pain of waiting.

First time ordering plaza though. I'm 10.5d in Van, Barrie and trubalance...and 11D in Hampton so hoping they work.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good call. Mine have found more wear than any other footwear since they arrived a few weeks ago. Footwear normally needs time to find a place in the rotation, but these did not.

They definitely fill a void. I have these, #8 Tankers and chocolate suede Tankers on order...this just adds to the pain of waiting.

First time ordering plaza though. I'm 10.5d in Van, Barrie and trubalance...and 11D in Hampton so hoping they work.

These are my first Plaza as well. I went with my Brannock size and they are perfect.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only Vibergs I owned almost killed me due to the slippery Dainite soles. I also like being able to get boots in wide widths...

Better tanker photos:

Holy hell. Told myself I'm ok without a pair of these since I have the ravello aberdeen version. I was wrong. I will not be ok.

Fawkes007

Reaction score

Darn. No Indy's for me today!

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tricky-
I would also recommend Equus Leather. They have a burgundy shade that works well with #8 (except for some of the near-black shades). They make outstanding belts and you can customize all kinds of options. I have used them for all my hard-to-find shades (navy, green, #8)

oh...no...

Now I'm in real, real trouble...

Couldn't agree more. I have a half dozen @Equus Leather belts and love them. I'm on the casual side of business casual but as it is truly a bespoke operation, Charlie will make up exactly what you need from casual to formal.

I wear an Equus burgundy bridle belt with color 8 all the time. Best part is they will mail you swatches so you can match up as needed. For reference, here's their burgundy bridle along side some common colors:

(L-R: AE ?/can't remember, Alden Color 8, AE burgundy shell, Alden cigar shell)

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know of two stores that have done whiskey tankers - Leffot and Tassels. I haven't seen a ton of rare cordovan out of tassels recently so I'm not sure if they still do them. I'm sure others are also planning them

It is difficult (too difficult) for new customers to identify what store has had a particular model and is likely to order it again. I know we toyed with the idea of building a database here before (something that would let you sort by material, style, and sole and would spit out model numbers, stores that stock the style and previous runs). This should be doable on something like Google Sheets, right?

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
The only Vibergs I owned almost killed me due to the slippery Dainite soles. I also like being able to get boots in wide widths...

Better tanker photos:

AMAZING Tankers sir! I am very excited to have an incoming package on Tuesday.. :)

Hotel lobby in Vienna.
Color 8 perf cap toe bals on Hampton

Looking extremely classy in your Balmorals Prez! Hope that you had a good trip!

Snuff Suede WTB from Epaulet

I hope Ed gets around to calling me.. I've been on that list for 16 months!

Looking rather stylish there sir! I am not sure I would try and pull off that combination myself... :)

-Mike

TO Tie Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know of two stores that have done whiskey tankers - Leffot and Tassels. I haven't seen a ton of rare cordovan out of tassels recently so I'm not sure if they still do them. I'm sure others are also planning them

It is difficult (too difficult) for new customers to identify what store has had a particular model and is likely to order it again. I know we toyed with the idea of building a database here before (something that would let you sort by material, style, and sole and would spit out model numbers, stores that stock the style and previous runs). This should be doable on something like Google Sheets, right?

This should not be too difficult to do. I am sure we have enough collective pairs/knowledge to cover most pairs.

dslonghorn4

Reaction score
Haven't rocked these in awhile. Ravello LWB in the rain, as they were meant to be worn. From Alden DC, of which IMO is the best Alden shop.

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

This should not be too difficult to do. I am sure we have enough collective pairs/knowledge to cover most pairs.

+1, let's make this happen

If you go to the My Collection page on my AoSD, I list for each makeup who made them, in a first pass attempt at creating this. I strategically decided to limit it to shoes that I had taken photos of to make the user experience as good as possible.

If some are interested, I can create them an account on the blog and we can create a collective "database" table with all the makeups and can assign a probability of reproduction on there. Sometimes it's hard to guess that probability, but we could at least do a Low-Medium-High scoring.

-Mike

TO Tie Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would a Google docs excel file work? Assign it headers such as
Leather, last, sole, shoe/boot, model, vendor, model number, special ie. Brass hardware, likely hood of being remade..etc.

Would that work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads