The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

speaking of lists, 2 yrs and i finally got the call from Ed

2. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

New run of Ravello NST on Aberdeen?

3. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

4. JayDotz

JayDotz Senior member

Oh dear god.....That makes me so jealous! Good for you!

5. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

Bobbo-I understand we are here for all things Alden. I agree we're here to help new members and that's awesome. However rating retailers about how they allot their meager at best rare shell is not productive IMHO and it does create angst on the forum. Don't get me wrong I've got nothing against expressing opinions on this forum. I think complaining about any retailers processes could have negative results. I've been fortunate with Leffot...I saw them post Instagram photos of the Ravello Day Tripper and Cigar Indy a few years ago. They did not advertise taking orders. In fact many had complained they had waited over 2 years and had paid deposits. I said to myself...I wonder if anybody dropped out because of the long wait? Turns out a few did and I got added to the order. Was that fair, or did I take action to simply ask if it was possible? My point is they do whatever they want and in my case I won. It's their choice,and while we can gripe I don't see doing so will benefit anyone. I've said many times I got virtually all of my rare shell by picking up the phone and calling every shop I could find. I told them my size and asked what have you got in stock and do you have a list I can be added too? I worked with SF members who were also on the hunt and looked for them too.

In summary I'm saying that most of us worked for those coveted rare colors. I've never felt fairness was part of the game...its best man wins. I do agree that anyone who scores rare shell for the sole purpose of flipping for profit should be flogged. Everything else is free game...no rules.

Being a small business owner I'm choking on rules and regulations being crammed down my throat. In most cases it's not helping my customers but it plays well in DC. Worst part is almost 100% of those who make those rules and regs are exempt!

I'm not aiming any of my rant against anyone...just saying it's pointless to believe any system to control shell will ever happen. Very few shops get the chance and those that do.... don't get much...how they figure this out is their choice.

Here's a tip...I bought way too many rare shell colors. I plan to list a few barely worn or unworn pairs fairly soon. All size 13D or 13E. More details to come.

Peace to all!

Steve

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016

6. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

Agreed I've done the same. You make good points.

I only get pationate over the retailers who basically lie to potential clients. If there's a list or allocation to best customers, fine, I just expect honesty. Your right thou no use griping it changes nothing.

In other news, I got the email today for the cigar indy's, it's a list I've likely been on for two years. I haven't liked the latest batches of cigar, they are very dark. Prefer the old olivish tone.

7. TommyB

TommyB Senior member

Reading about the cigar Indys, I might have to get on a list for those. Has anybody who is normally a D width on other lasts sized down to C on shell Indys on the TB last? Would prefer a slightly sleeker look, if possible.
    I'm 9.5D on Plaza and Aberdeen boots, 9D on Barrie chukka and LWBs (the LWBs are slightly roomy), and am contemplating trying a 9C on the TruBalance last. Bad Idea?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016

8. RobinM

RobinM Senior member

Looks like a minor problem with the glazing finish.
    A sparing application of this will restore the original plasticky luster, if that's what you are looking for.
    [​IMG]
    Alternatively, try using some paste wax.

9. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Senior member

I'm with you on new cigar vs old. I'd like to see how some of the new "dark" cigar has patina-ed over the past year or so before I buy another pair. I haven't worn my LWb's enough to be the test case.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016

10. prez

prez Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hotel lobby in Vienna.
    Color 8 perf cap toe bals on Hampton

11. Mghart

Mghart Senior member

I'm on 9.5 on Barrie, and both my Indys are 9.5C and fit perfectly. They aren't shell, but I'd still stay with that size if I were to get s pair in shell. I'll be curious to see the shade of cigar for these Indys and might want to get on a list as well.

12. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

Snuff Suede WTB from Epaulet

[​IMG]

I hope Ed gets around to calling me.. I've been on that list for 16 months!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016

13. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

so did you end up passing on them?

14. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

if not this run, at least you know you will eventually get the call with Ed.

15. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

I haven't emailed back yet (or decided).I waited years for cigar wingtips only to be disappointed with them when they arrived. I really don't want to steal a spot for something I may not like when it arrives. It's such a crapshoot. What if I love them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.