• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Mine are paid for and on their way!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Weren't they supposed to have an Indy line of stitching on the quarters? Can't recall for sure...Either way I will be paying for mine right away and can not wait for them...this is one of my original have to have boots....the other #8 tanker..still waiting on that one.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New 8 LWBs, Antique, Commando Other than Indys, are these the quintessential Alden shoe?
According to Alden madison, the LWB, PTB, LHS and Indy are the four quintessential Alden shoes. I would have to agree and maybe add the chukka. My current rotation of these are tan suede LWB, 990, CXL LHS and Cigar Cordovan Indy.
@shunted22 congrats on an excellent acquisition! Not sure you can have multiple "quintessential" examples, by definition!
1f61c.png

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@shunted22 congrats on an excellent acquisition!

Not sure you can have multiple "quintessential" examples, by definition!
1f61c.png
I would add the unlined shell penny that Brooks sells.
stirpot.gif

MT1982

Reaction score
Just got word our gMTO of chocolate tanker boot from Alden of Madison just lande!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

This is their photo.

Aside from the obvious all eyelets vs. eyelets + speedhooks... what's the difference between these and the LeatherSoul model?

gatszu

Reaction score
Received my TSM #8 40752 on the Barrie Last. I like the fit and antique edge. There are 3 problems that I am aware of: cap toe on right boot is misaligned, one hole on the heel of each boot, and a laceration on the left boot at a non stressed area at the ankle. Are these problems deal breakers??

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tacking holes in the heel are normal. Usually they are better hidden by the heel strip, but not always. Are those the Supply & Advise Barrie PCTs?

chrisefi

Reaction score

Received my TSM #8 40752 on the Barrie Last. I like the fit and antique edge. There are 3 problems that I am aware of: cap toe on right boot is misaligned, one hole on the heel of each boot, and a laceration on the left boot at a non stressed area at the ankle. Are these problems deal breakers??

As said above, the heel "holes" are normal. I would have never seen the PCT... still can't tell from your pics.

The spot on the side is the only piece I think is what would qualify as a blemish and a small one at that.

You got a smokin' deal on a beautiful boot with barely anything wrong from the pics.

Nice boots!

Handcuffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My turn to play "spot the error" because I can't really find one... Whiskey NST boot:

Last photo is a comparison shot to a ravello NST boot on Aberdeen.

The photo from the rear looks like one of the boots is slanted but that's not the case. I truly can't tell what's wrong with the boots. Some minor scratches and marks but this is whiskey shell... it's not going to be flawless.

I feel like I lucked out.

zennypoo

Reaction score

@zennypoo

That’s disgusting. You’re a terrible man for getting that organized. I hope you’re proud of yourself.

:slayer:

Thanks man, couldn't do it with out everyone that participated!

Mine are paid for and on their way!

Awesome, enjoy them Andy!

That suede tanker looks fantastic with all eyelets. Great make up!

Wow these are nice. I assume since these are MTO's Alden Madison's already sold out of all sizes?

AoM actually ordered a seperates run of standard sizes, so call them and they might have your size, or at least take your name down if those didn't land yet.

Weren't they supposed to have an Indy line of stitching on the quarters? Can't recall for sure...Either way I will be paying for mine right away and can not wait for them...this is one of my original have to have boots....the other #8 tanker..still waiting on that one.

Great memory, these are suppose to have the 'Indy stitch'. It looks like Alden removed it as part of their stylistic edit. I think that stitch would added more interest to the boot, but oh well. It turned out quite nice so I can't complain.

You mean the "zennyboot"

Thank you sir for setting this up.

Haha! Thanks for participating!

Aside from the obvious all eyelets vs. eyelets + speedhooks... what's the difference between these and the LeatherSoul model?  

LS has split reversed welt, these are flat welt. I think flat welt gives the boots a cleaner look, some prime example are Epaulet's Brixton boots and Leffot's Naval boots. Other difference, which did not make it to the final product, was an Indy stitch.

Dan

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Cigar indies..
Nice shoes of course, but I really like the paint color. I may need to show this to my wife when we finally decide to repaint our bedroom to get rid of the Booberry looking color that we currently have.
A new arrival to share today - Whiskey Shortwing Blucher x Harrison Limited. Very excited about these! [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
The Leaman boot has dropped at Brick + Mortar!!!! @Disco Volante @tifosi @Chrisefi
Cigar LHS for this early Spring
This Alden Boot recently caught my eye, what's this model called? Shares characteristics with your typical Viberg service boot
As an Englishsman I've all ways favoured the classic Northampton shoes but just had to get the iconic no8 975. Delighted with them.
Thanks Mike! I had to look up Cabrillo National Monument...pretty nice. Looks like a great place to break in some shoes :)
Some selections from this week's boot game
Right. Here's my pair (AoM). Love that these are all eyelets, as well.
I have this boot actually, but the stitching is definitely something different. Also the banana shoe shape as mdubs says!
Ravello Chukkas today.
Ravello WTBs today
I wanted my 911s to be a touch more casual, so they recently received a DIY antique edging job.
Ravello LWB are one of my favorite models. Gets much more wear for me than the 975.
One from the other day, my first Alden and always a staple...the 403 Indy.
My "Lucky" Cigar LWB today!
Walking NYC highline in aldens. Unionmade hunting green suedes
Hi all! First time poster here. I was just bitten by the Alden Shell Cordovan bug and thought I would say hey. Started out with the #8 LHS Penny loafer and the #8 PLB. Looking forward to many more...Cheers!
Snuff WTBs
First outing of the B+M reverse tobaccos
Relaxing in some OLD fullstraps loafers. Wish I could find more aberdeen loafers in size 9.5E. Fits my foot perfectly
Here is a pair I got from the Shoemart sale recently. These are size 9E. The color and fit on these is great with some inserts. I am guessing a 9D would have fit me as I also wear a 9D in the barrie. Still debating if I will keep them or not. And some comparison pictures with the 9.5D JCrew PCT boots. Granted they are not the same size but should give you an idea about the shape of the last. Not very exited about the shape of the last. The PCT boots look sleek next to these.. sl
apologies for the poor pic, but the recent J.Gilbert #8 WT is on plaza w/ commando
Color 8 Indy X the shoemart
Ultimate Indy Sunday. Have a great week all.
Re-sole for my brown calf LWB. These came with black edge trim, and I wanted to try brown this time. Also decided to go with a flex welt sole. Work done by Aram at AH One.
Alden Cigar PTB by Unipair Alden Ravello PTB Alden Whisky LWB by Unipair
Alden 403s to start out the week:
The Tobacco LWB's for the flights today...
Pulling these recently acquired makeup. Epaulet x TO Tie Guy snuff suede wingtip. Can't believe this is my first plaza-lasted boot.
Amazing what a little brushing will do. Long over do on these workhorses
Nice work AMD Wearing my BB Color 8 Tassels today
TSM seconds, but debating whether to keep these whiskey PTB's. The shoes have some black marks in the cordovan,, but other than that the shoes look OK. Would you keep them? I also realize for $100 I could have firsts:
If my high school janitor walked in wearing these sick kicks, I would go straight up to ol dude and ask him to give me some Dap cuz he was so swagger...:fistbump:
IMG_0498_zpsx456sjrc.jpg
New 8 LWBs, Antique, Commando Other than Indys, are these the quintessential Alden shoe?
Just got word our gMTO of chocolate tanker boot from Alden of Madison just lande! :slayer::slayer: This is their photo.
Color 8 Alt Wein
My turn to play "spot the error" because I can't really find one... Whiskey NST boot:
Last photo is a comparison shot to a ravello NST boot on Aberdeen. The photo from the rear looks like one of the boots is slanted but that's not the case. I truly can't tell what's wrong with the boots. Some minor scratches and marks but this is whiskey shell... it's not going to be flawless. I feel like I lucked out.
All, too many good things here, but don't have the time or patience tonight to compliment everyone here. Handcuffed, you got ridiculously lucky. You should buy a lottery ticket. Swils, welcome to the club and the thread. Hope that you enjoy your new fine footwear! Someone did an amazing job brushing some Color 8 Tassels and DonL reminded me why I want the Brooks version. As for the quintessential Alden, I think most have agreed that it is the 975 (Color 8 LWB). The close runner ups are the Classic Indy Boot, Tassel Loafer which Alden invented, the Unlined LHS, and probably the NST which Alden does soo well. There are clearly many fine shoes to choose from though. Fal, from those pics, I would keep the Whiskey PTBs. And MrV, if I saw a janitor wearing Alden Whiskey PTB, I would be quite surprised and compliment his taste. ZP, I am excited about my Zennyboots. Michigan, Cabrillo National Monument is beautiful and likely is the best view of San Diego. It's also fun to go down to the Tidepools down the hill, but make sure you go at low tide. I forgot to check that when we went there, which was a bummer, especially considering the previous time I went was an ultra low tide and you could walk almost a half mile out from where the high tide was. That was amazing. Cheers and Happy Tuesday! -Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads